1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TH!NK electric car coming to North America

Discussion in 'Th!nk EVs' started by alam99, Apr 21, 2008.

1. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kleiner Perkins and RockPort Capital, two leading US Cleantech investors launch joint venture with Norwegian electrical vehicle company Think / Press releases / Press & Pictures / Home - Think

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds like great news! Think always seemed like a great company/product.

Rob

3. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds exactly like what I need. Wonder how long it will be before they have a Hawaii distributor.

4. MountainStone

MountainStone Light Bringer

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Beautiful. The OP's link does not mention the price, but in another thread I posted a link to an earlier press release stating the TH!NK city sells in Britain for 14,000 pounds. That converts to about $28,000 dollars, but I have been informed that Brits pay much more for vehicles and the speculation is this will be around a $20K car. I hope that is true. I'll take one at $20K if one can be found.

5. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try this link for the new 'Th!nk Ox' TH!NK Ox / Models & Concepts / Home - Think

Th!nk Ox:
    Performance Battery
    • vmax: 135km/h
    • range: 200km
    • acceleration (0-100km/hr): 8.5 sec
    • battery packs: option of sodium batteries and state of the art Lithium Ion
    • drive power, nominal: 60kW (boost for acceleration: 1ookW)
    Weight Powertrain
    • battery weight: 350kg
    • total vehicle weight: 1500kg
    • gross vehicle weight rating: 1850kg
    • motor: water cooled permanent magnet synchronous-motor (low weight and package space)
    • power, nominal: 60kW (boost for acceleration: 1ookW)
    • propulsion: front wheel drive system
    • energy return: recuperation and solar roof panel
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a short article which reports:

(Ray Lane, a managing partner at Kleiner and chairman of Think North America) . . . said Think City will be priced below $25,000.

Kleiner hopes for 50,000 electric car sales a year | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "The Think City will target Toyota Motor Corp's (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) "Prius-class customers," Lane said."

Well, what a surprise...those Prius-class customers must know something the rest of the gas-guzzler crowd does not. My smugness factor just went up a few notches.

Is Ford watching this news? Why'd they ditch the Think? Same forward thinking as GM?

I suppose $5/gallon gas here stateside might be the threshold for SUVs? Just like $3 and now $4/gallon gas was supposed to get people to THINK? I love the concept of this car and it's design looks great and seems to be VERY practical...hmmm...Prius EV anyone?

Toyota, are YOU watching this news? EVs now! just like 10 years ago...this kind of history SHOULD be repeated.

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That would certainly do the trick for many people's commutes. Not a bad looker either. And a low price tag too. Couldn't quite go interstate speeds, but for in town driving would be perfect!

I would certainly think about something like that once I had a place to plug it in.

9. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If Toyota does branch out Prius into 3 models, it'd be possible to have the smallest Prius be an electric vehicle with limited range like the Th!nk and the mid-sized and larger ones can be "regular" hybrids that offer longer driving distances and larger cargo capacities. With their history and reputation, Toyota could corner the environmental / high mileage consumer car market.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Think would make a great second car that's used mainly for commuting.

But for those who can only own one car, the Prius would better fit the bill overall since they can go long distance with it as well.

In the final analysis, a Plug-in Prius would represent the best of both worlds.

11. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the Norwegians are behind it, we can count on it being designed well, built well, and an overall quality product. Hopefully their partnership with American companies won't dilute those standards.