1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thank you Americans

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AlbertoC67, Nov 10, 2006.

1. AlbertoC67

AlbertoC67 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you americans

This post is not about the Prius, please Mr. Webmaster … don’t be angry.

When I was a boy my father used to talk to me about the America as the country of freedom and I become a man convinced about it.
    We all in Italy are grateful to America for the help you gave us to destroy the bad fascist regime and to catch away the nazi in 1945.
    I grew up during the “cold war†between U.S.A. and U.S.S.R. always preferring the U.S.A. with their mistakes than the Russian regime.
    I know I’m talking from a country with Berlusconi premier since six months ago… we made the world laugh for five years… I’m overly ashamed of that… but this is the reality.
    I am Italian and surely I’m not the right person to teach about freedom and justice but I learnt a lot looking at what happens around me inside and outside our frontier.
    For all of my life up to six years ago I always defend what America did even if sometimes something sounded wrong… six years ago one thing sounded too much wrong.
    We in Italy looked at the (strange) election of Bush scared about what could happens with a man like that driving one of the most important countries of the world.
    And we was right.
    I thought that Americans lost their wisdom.
    Now many people in Italy look at what Bush did and said with a suspicious eye, personally I don’t believe that:
    The war against Iraq is a war for freedom.
    The disaster of 9/11 is all al-qaeda fault… the mail with anthrax… the war to catch Bin Laden with 3 (three) month going on every day saying on TV “I will catch you!â€â€¦
    If I want to catch my enemy I attack him suddenly… the moslems give a warning to their enemy like that before an attack… is Mr. Bush a moslem?
    I watched the movie Fahrenheit 9/11 of M. Moore … and learnt that Bush is a big friend of the Saudi Arabia… more than the U.S.A… so, I can say, looking at what happened in New Orleans.
    He always talks about the danger of moslem fondamentalism but he increased it a lot with his behaviour.
    He lighted up your economy… yes…. but depreciating the dollar!!! WATCH OUT! We in Italy did the same thing many times with our lira during the ’70 and ’80 years and now we pay that mistake with an high cost of life.
    He did nothing for environment.
    He did nothing to promote peace.
    He did all a president can do to ruin the reputation of a country at the eyes of the world.
    Now it’s not surprising if some countries wants to build the atomic bomb… they want to defend themselves from a possible attack.
    Some months ago my father said to me: “…this is not the America I had known … when I was one of that boys taking chocolate from the hands of the U.S. soldiers upon their tanks in 1945… that was the America of freedom... this is the America of OIL!â€.
    I remained shocked at that words…
    But now something’s changing and I hope that in the country I always loved, you, Americans, can give a strong 180° rotation to the steering wheel.
    It’s simple for you to do all of what right can be done: it’s enough to do exactly the contrary of what mr. Bush did.
    To end this post what can I say… “Thank you Americansâ€â€¦ for your re-born wisdom…
    God save America … but not Mr. Bush.
    Alberto
    From Italy
    :D

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Alberto,

Yours is a sentiment expressed by many here in America too. But, democracy is our system and sometimes it takes a while for us make needed changes.

3. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Nov 10 2006, 04:26 AM) [snapback]346840[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, the "danger" isn't over. The current house and senate is still controlled by a "Neo-Con" element. It's possible that the unconstitutional agenda the president (I won't capitalize it for him) is still pushing could be passed before the next congress takes over. Even with a majority of Democrats in congress, it might be impossible to override any vetoes he makes on attempts to correct the damage he's aready done to the U.S. and the World.

Dave M.

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Alberto, I was touched by your posting - thank you.

It will take many years to regain the respect of much of the world - I hope we're on the way to doing that!

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 10 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]346882[/snapback]</div>
    Starting with the respect here at home - Too many people here focus on the negative and bash the government, president, congress, etc... Sure, mistakes were made, but everyone's human, and people need to learn to look past the faults

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you, Alberto.

By the way, my sister lived for 3 years in Rome, speaks fluent Italian, and loves Italy.

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 10 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]346886[/snapback]</div>
    As is our patriotic duty when the mistakes are of unprecedented negligence and/or incompetence.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlbertoC67 @ Nov 10 2006, 07:08 AM) [snapback]346838[/snapback]</div>
    Alberto,

Thank you for your words and your renewed belief in America. I am surprised by your loss of faith in this great country even though temporary. As you are aware America represents Man's greatest experiment in representative Democracy - this marketplace of ideas reflects our changing shifts in what we want and how we want it in terms of our government and its policies. The fact that we for nearly a quarter millenium have had the peaceful transfer of power, the transition from and to different points of view should inspire all. Although YOU may not agree with the current administration or policies of the great country you should realize it represents all of us. I would offer you a simple thought of divesting yourself of the linkage you have established between the United States of America its "operating system" and people and its current government and policies. As you can see our system works and works well.

You should also steel yourself better against those who have agendas whether hidden or exposed who try to influence your thoughts and beliefs. Do not judge a country as great as ours, as large as ours, as diverse as ours by the thoughts or expressions of a few - on either side of the issue.

David

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Alberto for Congress.

You make a great arguement that could be pulled right off the party platform for the American Democrat game plan.

You're missing the second half of your letter though.

You explain how great America was, how poor it is under the Bush administration and stop. The democrats did/do this too. They have no plan to fix anything, only complaints how it's going now. Having no ideas how to fix things does not help anyone. This week, it was enough to elect Democrats to a majority in congress. Now they are there, it will not fix any of the ills that the people are frustrated with.

I call on you to do better than that.

Why don't you tell us what you think would be the "Plan of action" that you believe would be the right one?

Tell me real actions that can make a difference and please include what you believe the consequences to those actions would be. Don't tell me we should pull out of Iraq as a simple statement. Tell me under what timeframe and what you think will happen to America and the world as a result.

Until you have that, you have told me nothing useful. Until we hear/see this from the democrats, they have told me nothing useful.

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you, Alberto, for telling us your thoughts. Many of us feel the same way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 10 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]346903[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, I knew it wouldn't be long before someone tried to argue with you, Alberto, as above. These people still do not realize how our words and actions define us in the eyes of others, and why that matters. Please do not feel the need to argue with these individuals to justify your thoughts.

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 10 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]346912[/snapback]</div>
    And to further my point Alberto...

This kind of answer is what the democrats have for the real issues facing the world and America.

They have no plan and no answer and no original thoughts.

They won elections because having a war in Iraq is hard. Hard work and hard issues are tough and people prefer they just go away. They don't want to face the hard issues and they have no ideas or plan.

PA makes the perfect statement to prove this point.

I believe the democrats need some real ideas with real projected outcomes in the event their idea is used.

I think France, Germany, Italy, and every other person and country that wants to jump on the Anti-Bush train needs to have an idea and expected impact statement.

If your idea is good and we can determine the impact of it to be a better impact than we are experiencing now, then I think we should take a serious look at the idea.

If your only idea is to just not be Bush, then I say your idea is worthless. 'Not being Bush' solves nothing.

I also respect Italy and you enough to tell you exactly how it is. It is hard and it is tough in Iraq. I respect you enough to tell you very plainly that I expect a good idea from you if you don't like how it is going right now. Don't give me complaints without real ideas, good ideas how to fix things. Not you, not the democrats and not anyone else. Don't come complaining unless you have something positive to contribute.

I want to point out that I suggested in another thread that Bush give the democrats and the world exactly what they want.

Pull out of Iraq inside of a week (total, all told... get up, fly away, leave everything where it's at).

Bush/Cheney both resign, Hastert becomes president.

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld all go fishing and turn off their cell phones.

I would think this is the perfect answer for people on this forum who are ultra liberals, but even to this idea they told me I was suggesting that I was calling for the collapse of America.

I agree... doing what is being called for would be horrible for America and the world...

I think more-so, it means that the Anti-Bush crowd knows that what they are crying for would totally screw everything up. Though they say it, if you threaten to give it to them, they get fearful.

Real ideas people... coupled with an impact statement.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 10 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]346912[/snapback]</div>
    You are being slightly arrogant. Why are your views the "correct" views. Your last sentence is all telling - the entire concept of our representative democracy is the free flow of ideas, points of view, etc. If you are not willing to "justify your thoughts" they must not be either worth or capable of justifying.

That is why all parties vying for "power" use thier thoughts as a hammer and anvil trying to convince others that thiers is the correct thought.

Are you positing that we should not hold elections - especially when those holding your thoughts as central - are in power?

Americans know a lot more than you give them credit for - unless of course if you think that those of different thoughts than you are unworthy - but you could not be that arrogant.

The other point for Alberto is that one should always put their thoughts and beliefs up for challenge - never be a true believer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Nov 10 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]346889[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have a patriotic duty to serve your country when you are called to serve?

14. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the kind words Alberto, it appears most of my fellow US citizens also realize our country was on the wrong path and have taken the first steps to correct it.

I have many relatives from outside the US, my in-laws (Philippines) and my wife's niece is married to a gentalman from Torino (last name Agnelli), they all echo your sentaments.

Have a great day and Chao.

15. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 10 2006, 07:18 AM) [snapback]346882[/snapback]</div>
    My grandfather Biaggio and my grandmother Assunta came here from the Bari area in the late 1800s. They lived in a town with an Italian name, Syracuse (Siracusa) and changed their own names to Billy and Suzie to, as they said, look like "good Americans." They raised eight children and lived happily on a nice street, making us children proud to call ourselves "Italian-Americans." They made this country better for their being here.

I think everybody in my family feels like you. My job took me to Europe often and I grew ashamed of how these ancient countries viewed our arrogance toward them. America seemed interested in others only to the extent she needed something at the time. Our hard-worked-for friendships and alliances were dismissed, and America publicly humiliated nations that expressed anything less than 100% interest in her projects, no matter how far-fetched. The only country our government seems to really like is England. France is openly mocked in some quarters.

Tuesday was the dawn of a new day and, if we can learn anything from history, it will be that we should seek out our old friends, both giving them council and heeding their advice when it is appropriate.

Buon giorno, Alberto.

It's good our families can talk again.

Roberto Sacchetti
    (My old, almost forgotten, Italian name)

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Awesome post Alberto, thank you. On behalf of the majority of us here on PriusChat, I'm sorry for the responses you're getting from some of the Bush-loving posters here. Maybe I'll set up a web site so we can all apologize for that.

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alberto, your post was beautiful. It's always nice to hear a view from another part of the world. Sometimes we Americans forget that there's a world outside of whatever it is our country is doing. Thank you for your views.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 10 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]346946[/snapback]</div>
    Ummmm ... PA never said his/her views were the correct views. I don't think it was implied, either.

Asking someone to justify their thought/beliefs is positioning yourself as judge of those views. Nothing personal, but no one on this planet is qualified to determine whether anyone else's beliefs are "justified". If you want to have a debate, that's all well and good and it can be very productive and lead to greater understanding. But I believe there's a difference between "justifying" your beliefs and challenge them.

It's a question of how you decide to open the debate. If you try to open the debate with inflammatory statements (which you didn't) then it's not a debate ... it's "defend your position". If you open with respect for the other position, then a dialogue is much easier to open.

Have a great weekend. :)

18. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) Alberto... Thanks for your comments.

One of the great things about the U.S.A. is that we *ARE ABLE TO LOUDLY DISAGREE" with our government without real fear of reprisal or imprisonment. While I don't always agree with my President, he *IS* my President and I respect the office even if I don't agree with some of his decisions. I am pleased that President Bush did respond to the September 11th attack rather than trying to "negotiate with terrorists."

We are a Nation of many ethnic backgrounds, many colors and religious beliefs. For the most part, we live together in peace. My great fortune is that I (being a combination of English, German, Scandanavian and Native American) was free born in Texas... among the Earth's population, I am blessed.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 10 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]346982[/snapback]</div>
    Wisest words on this BB to date. And I agree with you. Whomever is my President I have and will always support. If I choose to disagree on certain issues it is always with respect and hopefully never done in a way to aid those that wish us ill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 10 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]346974[/snapback]</div>
    Why are you sorry? The strength of our country is our ability to differ and disagree - it is healthy - it is what makes us great - it is what makes us a beacon on the hill for those who are unable to do as we do without fear of reprisal or punishment. You have no need nor no right to apologize for those who disagree with you - it is self-serving and disingenuous and strikes at the heart of our representative democracy.

20. stealth

stealth New Member

I usually don't get involved in these posts other than reading and laughing but this one reminds me of something that's bothered me for a while.

I was in the Philippines when the tsunami hit and had access to the "American" CNN channel and the "International" one as well. The difference in the reporting between the two was appalling.

When America first responded by sending over a small amount (don't remember any of the numbers) we promised it was just the beginning of a lot more to come. I didn't hear the last part on any of the EU CNN reports just outrage and criticism even though I don’t believe any other country had sent anything at that point but I could be wrong.
    They criticized our soldiers who were the first one's there providing aid to the victims for not waiting for and working with other aid organizations which would have undoubtedly cost thousands (if not 10s of thousands) additional lives. When the US sent over another huge amount of money for support I didn't see it mentioned once on the EU channel until 3 days after the American channel was reporting it. These are just a few examples of what I saw and maybe CNN wasn’t the best choice but I’ll never view news reporting the same way again.

My point being is that before this I actually thought all Europeans were dumb (not really just making my point) when I heard them complaining about America but in fact they are mislead by extremely biased news reporting (as I am sure we are as well).

I voted for Bush not because I was 100% happy with him but because I felt he was the lesser of two evils, I'm guessing Kerry was portrayed as a great man and America’s savior in Europe but in America many of us saw him as weak and incompetent.

As been mentioned many times on this site only history will tell how well (or bad) Bush has really done.