1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thank you Prius Chat Plug in Forum

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by janie, Jan 19, 2013.

1. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just wanted to say thanks to you all. This forum has been so helpful for my PiP questions :)

I'm very happy with the RAV4 EV that I traded for. I do like driving all electric and having the extra space. The Nav System is definitely an upgrade from what I had in the base model pip. It is much easier to do the voice commands. It can even read to me any incoming text!

The only wish I have for the RAV4 EV would be to have the super fast charging capability :) of course a little more range would be nice but what it has does work for my current needs :)

OceanEyes, JMD, Jeff N and 2 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! what does it have for heat?

3. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So jealous!

Was your PiP a lease, or did you buy it?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    So what do you think of the full EV power experience?

5. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, nothing! that's right…can't make heat if there's no ICE! ;)
    from an earlier thread i believe it was a purchase but i'll let her clarify that

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    she could just short her battery terminals together for heat:whistle: :eek:

JMD likes this.
  7. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i have to say, if it wasn't for the range limitation, which really is a deal-breaker for me personally, this car would be extremely tempting.
    TFS $6k rebate
    IRS $7500 rebate
    CVRP $2500 rebate
    Total rebates: $16k
    MSRP $50k
    Price after rebates assuming no negotiation: $34k
    This is cheaper than a PiPA and is much better equipped!

JMD likes this.
  8. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Love it. There is more power so much easier to go up steep hills. Hoping to move to a location where I could set up a home charger. For now I am able to use the local Nissan dealer and other free public charging stations.

Today we were finally able to get the safety connect to work so that I can easily see nearby stations and also know what my range is. And he showed me how I can start the heater or air condioning remotely from my phone. Very cool.

I owned the plug in and probably could have gotten more by selling on my own but went ahead and traded it in. Did a purchase for the RAV4 EV

Yesterday I was stressing a little about a few locations I had to get to that were further away. Did an extra charge at the Nissan dealership. After I went to the 3 locations I realized I would have been fine without the extra charge up. I just like to be safe

Not sure about how it gets heat but that works fine. I prefer to use the seat Warner's because the heater reduces the range. Note- I never used the heat in the pip.

JMD and lensovet like this.
  9. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    What are your Real World miles per charge?
    How many kWh per charge?

Is the Nissan dealer part of your Toyota dealer? If not, Risky !!!
    Is the charge for free? If so, Nice.

10. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations on your purchase. My PiP has really opened my eyes to EV driving and I'm seriously thinking of a Tesla Model S in my future. My local Toyota dealer rents the RAV 4 EV so ill probably rent 1 for a weekend to try.

11. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Per Wikipedia, standard charge is 35 kWh while extended charge is 41.8 kWh (full battery). This doesn't include charging losses but at 240V/40A I doubt they are very significant.
    Also, since she can't charge at home, she has no way to measure this!

Pretty sure the Nissan dealer is separate! And all Nissan chargers are free. But you are right, she is lucky that the dealer isn't an donkey!

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The cabin heater is apparently the last pic in the post at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread. It's the Denso 6.0 KW German made unit. Ingineer (aka pEEf) here commented on it later.
    There have been reports of some Nissan dealers not letting people charge if they didn't but their Leafs from that dealer and/or giving people a hard time, besides some being inaccessible when the dealer's closed. That's assuming they even have a L2 EVSE on the premises (some don't).

13. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    oh sure, i'm fully aware of that. just saying that what's probably happening is jeanie's local dealer isn't one of those, rather than being a Toyota dealer as well.
    By the way, I took a test drive at the local dealer here on a whim. They have 3 EVs on the lot, one of which is a "fleet" car that's not supposed to be for sale/test drives. As luck would have it, though, it was the only one that was charged (one of the "for sale" vehicles was actually so dead that its 12V battery was fully discharged – wonder how long it's been sitting on the lot).
    I had wanted to do some highway driving but the highways here had traffic (yeah, at 5 pm on a Saturday), so I went in a rather roundabout fashion. Here's the route we ended up taking: Dwight Way to Shattuck Ave - Google Maps
    And here are the stats that I got at the end of the trip
    IMG_2499.jpg
    this included some pretty hard acceleration, city driving, and even about 2.5 mi of highway driving at ~75 mph.
    the acceleration is phenomenal but i feel like i'm in a boat. i feel a little like being in a boat in the pip, so imagine what this feels like…lol. triggered the traction control more than once due to the hard acceleration.
    The EPA rates this car at 2.273 mi/kWh. I managed to get 2.7. Not bad, considering how I was flooring it more than once.

fotomoto likes this.
  14. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Nissan Dealer in my local area is a not associated with Toyota. They have a few chargers just outside the door to their sales office, and they are very friendly and helpful. They even gave me the wifi password so that I could go on the internet while waiting for my car to charge. One of the sales persons told me that they were told that they needed to let any vehicles charge when they were installing the chargers. They don't mind me coming by on a regular basis to charge.

The Toyota dealer in my local area (2 miles distance), has only one charger and it is not where the public can access it. When I purchased the PIP from them, they said they would charge your vehicle only if you were getting a service done. They decided not to sell RAV4 EVs.

Whereas, the Toyota dealer (18 miles distance) where I got the RAV4 EV is more than willing to let me charge anytime I am in their local area. They recently installed a Charger that is easy access :)

JMD and lensovet like this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you try putting it in sport mode? I test drove the Rav4 EV 2x at Alt Car Expo. It's pretty easy to chirp the tires w/hard acceleration in sport mode.

Someone here on Priuschat (if he wants to come forward) had some photographic proof of laying down a strip of rubber while testing out the Rav4 EV. :)

Tony Williams of MNL had a funny comment about the power at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread. He ended up buying one after he rented one for a few days.

OceanEyes and DadofHedgehog like this.
  16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hah, I completely forgot to mention – immediately upon startup the car showed what is the equivalent of a check engine light. So, as a result, sport mode was disabled.
    Still managed to trigger traction control on dry flat roads lol.

17. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What's with their EV sales policy? Even if I have 50k burning a hole in my pocket, I can't get an rav4 ev where I live.:mad: No pips here either. Only games in town are Nissan leaf and Chevy volt. First one has a bad rep of early battery capacity loss due to an air cool system in hot climates, not too crazy about the volt with its low gas MPG, and the requirement of premium fuel.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought you'd see the pip this year, sorry to hear that.

19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm wondering if having to offer big sales incentives will slow the roll out too.

What is your daily mileage? Austin, I've heard, has a lot of opportunity charging for those needing more than 40 miles/day. Personally, I've only used gas 9 times since Thanksgiving even though I only have the included 120v charger, cannot charge at work, and basically rely on overnight charging.