1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thank you PriusChat - You saved me $2000 - a story

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Beradon, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Beradon

Beradon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been a long time on-and-off lurker of PriusChat since I got my GenII in 2007.

I've never had any really significant problems other than the usual ones (early headlamp flickering with the HIDs and the like).

Recently, my prius hit 110,000 miles and I've been putting off (probably wrongly) doing maintenance since everything appeared to be running well, and money is a little tight.

The other day I came out to head to work and started my Prius. Gave a little extra rumble while I was in the garage but I didnt think much of it, it was really the first cold night of the year (I work third shift), so I pulled out and headed up the street.

But, it just didnt feel right. Ran like I had a rock tumbler the size of a filing cabinet rolling around under my hood.

...Crap...

I make it to the end of the street and the check engine light starts flashing. I turn around and head back home... fortunately home was less than 100 yards back in the other direction.

The next day I make an appointment and bring it in to the dealer. I go ahead and schedule their $199 service that does all the major maintenance points (rotate tires, oil change, fluids, wipers, and some other odds and ends, a little on the expensive side, but I figured I was well past due). I also mention the rough running.

I get a call about 5 hours later. "Well, we checked your codes, its throwing misfires on cylinders 3 and 4, as well as some other lesser codes likely caused by the major codes... so we moved your ignition coils and the misfires stayed put... swapped spark plugs and they continued where they were at. So we suspect it is your fuel injectors."

She runs down a list of various other things that she thinks needs to be done. Coolant flush, rear brake adjustment, replace spark plugs, replace aux battery, replace headlights (I knew about this one), etc... Oh ya... $120 diagnostic fee.

Final price would have been to the tune of about $2650

I tell her I just dont have that kind of money right now, and ask what has already been done that has to be paid for. Basically the $120 diag fee and $199 service that I had ordered for myself, plus a few other things... $513.

I tell her that I'll have to just come pick up the car the next day and that I cant afford the rest of it. She claims to fully understand and tells me my car will be waiting for me.

I spend the next few hours on this forum and making sweet love to my Google search bar during that time trying to figure out what it could be, hoping with everything I had that it wasnt the $980 fuel injector replacement that had to occur.

So I bring the car home and go pick up a set of spark plugs, MAF sensor cleaner, fuel injector cleaner, coolant, and some other odds and ends.

With some trepidation I begin work, as this was my first time doing any 'real' maintenance on this, or any, car, other than replacing my air conditioner blower earlier this summer.

I manage to successfully replace all of my spark plugs with the same iridium tipped Denso SK16R11 spark plugs that were in there originally, as well as learn some things about testing battery voltage with the prius MFD. Thank you to this forum for precise information on type and replacement information.

Go to start it up. Still rough as ever.

Last ditch.

MAF sensor cleaner. I pull the sensor and spray it with a healthy dose of the cleaner and let it dry.

Replace it. Hook it up.

The car hums to life, not a rumble or rattle.

Beautiful.

Thank you for saving me from the stealership's absurd charges, although I still think they managed to wiggle extra cash outa me with that $513 they stole from me. Thanks specifically to Patrick Wong (for MAF sensor cleaning instructions) and another user who mentioned they also experienced some rough running issues.

I am planning now to do my own coolant swap and eventually replace my own battery, although if what my MFD tells me is true, I'm not in any need of it yet.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick Wong is a valuable resource, we are lucky to have him.

3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 07 rolled past 100,000 and I did the 12V battery earlier this year after noticing the MPGs had significantly dropped, about 5mpg. While I was searching for the cause of the MPG drop I queued up replacing the coolant in the inverter and engine. I should queue up the MAF sensor cleaning next. My daughter drives the 07 now and I only get to see it on holidays. I dread the day she has to take it to a dealer for service.

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I looked up my historical codes, I had a "multiple misfire" pending. Im going to keep an eye on my MAF too. (I have an 07 w/56k miles). Thanks for the post and definitely thanks to Patrick Wong!! You are "the" Prius Guru!! :cool:

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great story. Love it!!!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An excellent outcome.

I suggest that you also think about why the MAF sensor accumulated dirt to the point where it needed to be cleaned. Pls take a look at your engine air filter (the dirty side is face-down) and replace it if, when held up to the sun, you cannot see sunlight coming through the filter element. The normal service life is 30K mile intervals.

Regarding coolant change, I have posted on how to do this for the engine coolant loop which is especially difficult due to the presence of the CHRS canister and pump, not to mention the tendency for the cabin heater core circuit to trap air. The inverter coolant loop is not too hard to do but you need to work at it until you see fluid turbulence in the coolant reservoir which proves fluid is circulating. I suggest you only use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant since inexpensive coolant does not possess the same chemical properties.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the story. It's a great reminder that, when dealing with an incompletely diagnosed problem, one should start by fixing the small/easy/cheap stuff first.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Staggering quote. Expertly resolved!