1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thank you.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Randy G., Aug 22, 2006.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They'd better get a move on if they are going to make their plot a reality. Since 2002 when the article was written, the price of gas has only increased, the sale of SUVs has plummeted and the sale of hybrids has increased.

While it is scary to think that all this conspiracy has been going on behind the scenes - and I don't doubt it - I like to hope that the American people will soon reach the point in which they simply aren't going to take it anymore. Granted, there will always be those who fight the inevitable but I think that slowly more and more people are coming around.

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just want to point out a few things:

first, the article was writen in 2002, but references "Who killed the electric car?"?!?!?!? seems a bit fishy to me, as that movie isn't nearly that old...

Second,
    Um, say what? How can this possibly be validated? i gaurantee you that, somewhere in this nation right now, there is a large patch of corn dying. is it due to increased global temperatures? probably not... instead, look to droughts, heat waves, etc... in other words, natural occurances. besides, how does he know that the farmer didn't pass away or something, and no one was there to take over for him, letting the fields go unwattered, etc.

Third, in 2002, i don't think anyone had even heard of E10, let alone E85... this was a very recent development nationwide...

fourth,
    Sounds a little fishy to me... but if Detroit adds it, it still won't effect Toyota's!

fifth,
    So where's all this extra oil going to be coming from to drive us into this problem? granted, we all know that the oil is going to run out sooner or later... but do they expect world wide oil consumption to double? where's that extra production going to come from? oh, i forgot, the oil faries in the middle east will just drop down a few dozen extra production plants. sheesh.

uh-oh... i hear a sales pitch coming on...

Honestly, i'd like to believe the intentions of this article were good/pure. however, by interjecting pure crap designed to instill fear and incite panic in its readers, i completely lost all faith in the message they were trying to get across, which was to strive to increase your mileage. good message, bad delivery. If any of my old teachers were grading this, they'd give it an F, which i think is too good for it.

*edit*
    I'd also like to point out that yes, i realize that some of what was said was factual in basis: E10 does lead to less mileage, as Ethanol has less energy in it than normal gas. but, and this is a big but, if this leads to E100 (ie no gas, all ethanol vehicles), the mileage would be horrible, yes, but it would be a renewable energy supply for our cars. i hope for EV's, i'm sure they'll get there first, but this is simply another scientific path.
    Additionally, we all know that Oil is critical to keeping our engines alive... however, i'm not willing to take the word of one article that this huge conspiracy to reduce the quality and function of the oil exists. I'd need to see more proof, coming from well known, renowned companies that these changes had negative, not positive effects.

5. molgrips

molgrips Member

I just have to dismiss any article that's this one-sided. There's always two sides to a story, and if you present one - well then you're just grinding your own axe. If you don't acknowledge the other side at all, then you're just being disingenuous.

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you.

7. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 22 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]307785[/snapback]</div>
    According to IMDB it came out in 2006, so sounds like at least the date on the article is faked.

As to the rest, despite that it may actually have some actual facts scattered through it, it looks like a classic piece of disinformation to me.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why all the edits from the OP? :unsure:

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 22 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]307849[/snapback]</div>
    I edited it. The article expounded conspiracy theories which I don't subscribe to, but had an interesting take on the recent changes in oil compounds which was the point I was trying to make. I didn't want my name attached to the consiracy side of it, so it's gone.

Sorry about that. :)

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope this isn't a trend; posting dubious articles, getting us to comment on them, and then erasing the evidence. Does the first responder have to quote the entire original post, just to make sure it won't disappear?

11. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Randy G. @ Aug 22 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]307853[/snapback]</div>
    You could have just kept it there for posterity's sake (and so everyone who's just coming into the thread knows what the article was about) and posted a reply/followup stating that you didn't particularly agree with or subscribe to some or all of the things mentioned in the article...I post articles all the time that I don't always agree with (usually in the Prius & Hybrid News forum) because it has something to do with hybrids/Prius in general, whether the info is correct or not...that way PCers get to have a blast ripping the author apart & pointing out inconsistencies in the article(s).

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 22 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]307860[/snapback]</div>
    The "evidence" from the "dubious" article can be found elsewhere on the internet.

I take responsibility for poor judgement by posting it. I also take responsibility for promptly removing it. It made some very good points but was cluttered with nonsense. I thought some would be interested in reading it, but have re-evaluated my position.

I hope you respect me for my decision. If someone else wants to take the time to locate it, they can repost it under their own name.

As I said, sorry about that.

RG

13. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Randy:

just because you post an article here does not mean you have to agree with it to any extent.

some of the best literature seminars i've attended started with the speaker presenting the paper, then at the end saying "well, personally, i think it's a load of crap." :lol: it stimulates interesing discussion.

15. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 22 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]307906[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's funny!

I guess I consider myself a newbie here and don't want to get started on the wrong foot. Sorta like a visitor at the pound. Until all the dogs have sniffed your pant leg and approve of you, you need to be careful.

:blink:

RG

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider your pant leg duly sniffed and pissed on, Randy. Feel free to post whatever insanity you want - everybody else does - but quote the source, give us a link, and state whether you agree and why. Argue from several angles if you like, but please don't erase the post. :)

17. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 22 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]307920[/snapback]</div>
    LOL, I wouldn't have put it quite so, uh, eloquentely, but I totally agree! :D

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I hope my post didn't have anything to do with you feeling the need to remove your posts... i was ripping into the article, like many people do here (it's almost common place to post articles to allow people to rip into them). i then noticed you were a new poster, so i added the edit to (hopefully) show i didn't necissarily disagree with it, just with the way the author was trying to persuade people to his point of view.

Please, post more. it was possibly the most stimulating experience today :-p