1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks Again, to all of you!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Freedom, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last week, Carmine went in for the 5000 mile service. Went to the dealer where I bought. Thanks again to all of you here on Prius Chat.

I "only" paid $24.99 for the oil and filter change, plus $24.99 for the tire rotation.

They wanted another $89.50 for ??? and another $104.99 for ??? NONE of which is required maintenance for the Prius at 5000. So I knew to say no. Having read this forum diligently for the 3 months wait for my car, and for a month or so afterwards, I made certain I checked my manual and knew what was required before hand.

Part of the $89.50 was to check brakes. The car is brand new, and they were in looking at the brakes while they were rotating the tires, so WHY would I pay for it a second time??? The guy at the desk just grinned and said many folks do it.

And when the service was done, before I paid and checked out, I walked over to the tech and asked how much oil he put in? "3.5 quarts for the Prius," he replied with a grin! :cheer2:

(And please, no comments about how I could do all this myself and save even more; that is just not an option for me at this time.)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You did well. If you wish to save $25 in the future, I suggest that you have subsequent tire rotations done at 10K mile intervals, now that you've rotated them after the first 5K miles (i.e., at 15K miles, 25K miles etc.)

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I would avoid the same dealer in the future if possible.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with Patrick. Assuming the tires are going to last 50k miles. You are going to spend $250 rotating to extend the life (to make sure one does not wear faster than the others).

Well, $250 can get you 3 new tires.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe not. Many Goodyear dealers will rotate Goodyear tires for free, even if not purchased there. It's worth checking with the local dealer.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good point. Costco also rotate for free if you buy the tires from them. So why pay the dealer $25 for every rotation?

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When it comes time to buy new tyres, pick a place with lifetime free rotation. I use Costco, but I think many alternatives are available.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Way to go! That dealer (more precisely, that service writer) doesn't sound half bad, actually. He did what you wanted without snarling or giving you the hard sell.

For even more safety and economy, don't rotate the tires at all. It's safer to have the better tires at he rear, and because the front pair wear out faster this happens naturally. When the front pair wear out, move the rear pair to the front and put a new pair at the rear. Simple.