1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks! Fixed 2010 misfire 2 and 4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rathmon, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Rathmon

Rathmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've browsed this forum quite a bit in the past, and felt compelled to register/post to show my appreciation for the advice here.

A year ago I bought a used 2010 from a dealership, thinking that I would have better results than from a private seller. I should've done a lot more research on the 2010 first! I have owned a 2004 for 7 years with very little maintenance outside of upkeep, so I was looking forward to years with a 2010 just over 150K miles. A month or so into ownership and the rough starts (helicopter taking off?) began. CEL showed misfire in 2, so I first replaced the plugs and it went away for a little bit. Then in May of this year the overheating began.

Every time I fixed one issue, another one cropped up. CEL was now showing misfire in 2 and 4. So I did research, most of it here, to figure out what was going on. Here's everything that I ended up doing.... new plugs, new ICE water pump and thermostat, thorough cleaning of intake and throttle body, thorough cleaning of EGR cooler (OxyClean, pressure washing, 18 gauge galvanized wire), new spark coils, and new fuel injectors.

After all of that, the rough start and CEL misfire 2 still occurred. Which of course means the dreaded head gasket issue. Thankfully it wasn't bad enough for coolant to leak into the cylinders or oil system.

Staring down the barrel of a $1200+ repair after all the work I already did was not appealing. As a last gasp I went against most advice and bought some head gasket seal- Bar's Leak Carbon Fiber Head Seal. It took a few days to work its way through the system, but (so far) it has worked! The CEL light would come on every day during a 20 mile round trip commute. My wife drove to San Jose and back a week after without any complaints or CEL. How long will it hold is anybody's guess, but I'm hoping that doing all the other maintenance first will be a factor in longevity.

Thanks again to everyone in the community here that posts their experiences and expertise with these cars!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Tickyboo

Tickyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I get crowds gather up when the helicopter is starting to takeoff. I’m going to pull the trigger on a liquid sealant as the leak is very minor to a point that I’m not losing any coolant at all. I am considering steel seal at this point. Has anyone done enough research to confirm any better alternative. I’m aware of the possibility of it gumming up everything else. So a product that works best at least gumming up the system would be appreciated.