1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks to PriusChat

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by hevisto, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hevisto

hevisto New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I may only ever author 1 post but I have done a good bit of reading and learning this past month on PriusChat. I just want to thank the senior members of this site for their knowledge and for sharing it with the rest of us.

I got a 2008 package #2 from Broadway Toyota in Portland, OR after being on "the list" for the past seven weeks. They charged exactly MSRP and the port added a few accessories but the experience was generally good. I would certainly do business there again. I think Portland has a very high number of Prius drivers and Broadway Toyota claims to get the biggest allotment from each ship that comes in.

I have gotten 40 mpg for the first 150 miles and other than turning off the R beep I am very happy with the car exactly how it is.

I know there have been threads already about the B brake and I have read them but it's the only part of the car I really don't understand. Can I leave the car in B if I am not going fast or if I am in a hilly area? Or should I only use it occassionally when going down a big hill?

So thanks again for the site.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    B mode is useful only for long hills. You need about 800 feet of drop before it becomes an issue, depending on your battery's SOC and temperature. Mostly I tell people to never use B mode, but given your location, you might be on some hills where it makes sense. If your battery charges all the way to the top on a downhill, then B mode would have made sense. Let experience be your guide. Otherwise B mode just wastes gas.

Tom

3. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering some of the roads I've driven when in OR, B mode might actually be useful to the OP!

4. hevisto

hevisto New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello and :welcome:!

In response to "B", well just use it whenever you would use "2" or "L" in an automatic car. It's a similar concept.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, hevisto!
    You'll only need B coming down from Mt. Hood or going over the Coast Range. Check out the local HSD meetup group.