1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks to the great Hobbit - 2004 MFD Fixed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdenenberg, May 6, 2010.

1. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    After 6 years and 172,000 miles (is this a record?) my 2004 Prius Multi-Functional Display (MFD) developed the classic failure symptoms. Due to the Hobbit's great work and documentation of the cause and repair of this problem I was able to fix it (at least for now) at no cost.

Hobbit's analysis and instructions can be found at: Prius MFD

It took me a little over 2 hours to remove the MFD, disassemble it, re-flow the cracked solder connection (at 67 years old this was not easy - tiny wires, poor eyesight and unsteady hands), reassemble the dash and test.

One thing I noticed was that AM radio static due to Prius electrical noise was reduced after the repair.

JeffD

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats!

2006 to 2009 models have a different MFD (with higher resolution). I wonder if that same issue was fixed.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So far that appears to be the case.

Tom

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's great that we have a Hobbit and a Bear (as well as many other PC members who aren't represented by a fiction character) who provide great advice regarding how to keep our Prius running!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The design change in early 2005 models fixed the major cause.

JeffD

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was just wondering because TheForce has 2006 and his MFD just failed. Hobbit needs to get a hand on it. ;)

7. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    Add yourself to the list, you modest son of a gun.
    And please don't get rid of your Gen2 until I get rid of mine.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, that is very kind of you.

I'll probably own a G2 for at least three more years. By then I am sure that all possible G2 failures and solutions will be well-known, given the large number of G2 in service.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love the Hobbit, I fixed my MFD about 2 years ago I guess and it is still going strong. Not wanting to stuff the board up all together I engaged a professional to solder mine, at great expense, $25 AUD!! It is the only repair I have carried out on my Prius since purchase in 2007.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Did mine the same way about 6 months ago when it started to go on the '04. The Mrs. didn't like losing NAV or the ability to see the A/C adjustment.

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I totally concur with that! and you too, Pat.:rockon:

12. butzodaddy

butzodaddy Junior Member

Thanks also from me. I've done this repair twice, the second time it didn't seem to take. Eventually I found that pin 60 on the mating board connector had a cracked joint. It was the only cracked joint on that side but it was enough to cause intermittent malfunction. So while you have your unit disassembled, take a look at that other connector as well.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  13. Twally

Twally New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's Prius had the MFD problem that so many had and I found the walk through by Hobbit about the most likely common error and fix. I went to town and had it out in under 45 minutes, and then took it to a guy who specializes in electronics. He soldered the board for me, and now I'm trying to piece it back together and find myself with a wire where I don't have a place for. It really is my own foolishness for not having been more careful about my taking it all apart, but live and learn. If any one could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

14. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Got a little problem. I recently replaced my 86110-47070 with the 866110-47080 that Hobbit himself had examined and repaired when he created his now famous "Evaluation and Repair of a Failed Prius MFD". It worked, but no bluetooth or voice command and a 2 second high pitched beep after ignition, and the audio and climate buttons were non-functional. When I removed the non-functional 47070, I noticed that it had an extra wire than the 47080. It appeared to be a ground wire, but it didn't appear to be connected to anything. I did my very best at reflowing the solder at 58 and 60, but when I replaced the 47070, I got the red triangle of death.

I put the 47080 back in, but could I have made an error by not knowing what to do with that extra wire?

Love to hear ideas on this, because I find it hard to believe that my meticulous little foray into reflowing the solder could have made my 47070 *less functional* than it had been before I touched it.

Thanks, gang.

Larry
    2004 Salsa Red Prius
    55,000 mi.

15. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    He soldered the board for me, and now I'm trying to piece it back together and find myself with a wire where I don't have a place for.

Hey, Twally,

I'm in that same situation. Did you get the red triangle of death when you put it back in without attaching that wire? Did you ever figure out where the wire goes?

Thanks,

Larry (Strafgod)