1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thanks

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mbee, Mar 31, 2008.

1. mbee

mbee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    About to go P/U a P with PK2. Thanks for the immediate help.
    Got the strong arm for the extended warranty and truely the worst experience ever in purchasing a car. I'm in fact surprised it happened. Anyway, I'll not get the $1600 warranty.

Thank you for good, informed information.

2. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some of those finance guys don't know what the word "no" means and you end up having to say it to them about 40 times. When I got mine back in December the guy said "I'm surprised you don't want the warranty, this is a very complicated, hi-tech car and a lot can go wrong and when it does it is vvvvvveeeerrrry expensive to fix" to which I replied "Oh, really, are you telling me that the car is trouble-prone? Maybe I should go look at the Civics instead!" which quieted him down significantly.

Welcome to PC and enjoy your new car despite the bad sales experience.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used a similar tactic on a Ford finance guy when I was buying a Ranger many years ago. It works very well. They don't want to start arguing how unreliable their vehicles can be. :evil:

When my GF was buying her Avalon, the finance guy tried to get her to buy an extended warranty by telling her "For $40 per month you can extend the coverage by 3 years" So we calculated in our heads - 60 months x $40 = $2400 - nope, you aren't going to have $2400 in repairs in the next 3 years, that's why you are buying a Toyota.

So he keeps making offers, for $20/mo extra, for $10 extra - finally for $3 extra, the lowest he can go. $3 x 60 = $180. I ask my GF " Are you willing to pay $180?" Yeah, ok, for $180 we can get the extended coverage.

So he prints out the contract and slides it in front of my GF. She slides it over to me for review. I look under Extended Warranty and the amount is > $800. So I ask the finance guy "What's up with that? It should be about $180" He makes some excuse about not being familar with the computer. We tell him to forget the extended warranty.

A few years later, I am buying the Prius. I go into the finance office. Its the same guy. He asks "Have you ever bought a car from us before?" I tell him that my GF bought a car a couple of years ago. He says " Oh, I remember you".

"Want to buy an Extended Warranty?" Nope, I have 3 years to decide, I'd like to think about that one.

"Want paint protectant?" No thanks.

"Want to tint the windows?" No thank you.

End of conversation. He didn't even bother about the gap insurance or any of the other crap. :evil: