1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That JBL system is dead Jim...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ophbalance, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I get in the Prius yesterday as I had to trek into Raleigh, and realize that nothing on the radio works. None of the steering wheel controls work, including the voice and BT call buttons (though calling still works, as does GPS directions). Last night I verified that no lights turn on within the unit with the headlamps on, and pulling the dome light and audio fuses result in no change.

I presume this means it's dead, truly beyond salvation, dead? I've been wanting BT audio streaming for a long time, but hadn't really planned on it for the Prius.

If I put in an aftermarket head unit (not paying $300+ for a new JBL), and I use the correct PAC adapter, will the Nav voice commands and voice calling still work through the stock system?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although I am not Jim, I think this is a bad presumption; you may find that this is due to a blown fuse or a loose wiring harness connection.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    "I am Patrick, Jim, not a doctor!"

Tom

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What other fuses can I check, beyond those under the hood and in the teeny, tiny block under the steering column? I get that I need to pull apart the dash to replace it anyway, but oy... time is not something I have much of to be doing it twice.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can check the connectors at the back of the head unit. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the headunit.

6. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And then, it started working again on its own last night. Oh well, I'll let it ride as is for now.