1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

that PSD sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, May 13, 2005.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been listening to the way it starts up the engine for 4.5 years now. It has become so natural, I was totally shocked by what it did to me today...

After concluding an extremely intense week of guruing at work, where they quite literally said "do whatever it takes" to fix the server problem we were having, I got to leave for the weekend. Yippee! I was exhausted though, not really paying attention as I walked through the maze of parked vehicles.

Suddenly, I heard that sound!

What the?

There wasn't a Prius anywhere to be seen, but I my ears had clearly locked in on that sound of a PSD spin-starting an engine.

Well, being "Friday the 13th" and the fact that I was actually able perform a miracle (to my surprise) with that dang server problem, could that sound have come from a Escape-Hybrid? I hadn't ever seen one in the wild. So I starting scanning the lot. Sure enough, there it was. The "leaf on road" badge (formerly symbolizing FFV, now indicating Hybrid) on the brand new Ford SUV confirmed my suspicion. I really did hear a PSD.

And wouldn't you know it... After months of searching the roads without any success, I end up spotting another Escape-Hybrid just a half hour after seeing that first one.

Now I wonder when the heck my next "listening" will be? It adds a whole new dimension to the game of hybrid spotting.

Do you have a heightened awareness of that PSD sound yet?

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great. I'm glad to see that Ford is starting to get them into consumer hands. It has taken long enough. And the production number are just not where they should be, in my opinion.

But what I'm confused about is what the PSD sounds really is. I'm used to a lot of sounds on the Prius now, but no sure what exact sound you are referring to.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stand outside your Prius when it starts up the engine by itself.

That sound is unlike what a traditional makes.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yes, of course. It is that fast instant start sound.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the Honda hybrids are the same way. My co worker started her insight while I was walking by, and it had the same silence to instantly running engine.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I tried to get a test drive in an Escape and was laughed at. Well maybey not literaly but certianly figuratavly. I would love to drive one. I may call my brother in law in Derborne and see if he could get me a "ride". The local dealer is not what I would call user friendly.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try the Escape Hybrid. I was actually quite surprised. I'm impressed (shockers) with what Ford has done with the hybrid system and that certain gives them an edge. Sure, it's not as refined as the HSD but it's pretty damn good. Only thing is, why is the battery so damn big.