1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That Tire questoin again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kdmorse, Apr 26, 2006.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When my broken car finally returns from the body shop, I have a few things I'd like to do...

I think I may go overboard and have it detailed, and possibly pay someone to give it a good wash and wax coating. Let's start off with a good layer, that I can maintain from there one. (I've never been good at putting on that first coat).

And a good coat of RainX all arround. Can't live without RainX on all windows. Ok, I could probably live without it on the little triangle windows, but I'll probably do it anyway.

Possibly a 3m Invisiguard, though it may be too late now that the underlying parts have been smashed.

Possibly a spoiler of sorts, if it will keep the car from bounceing arround on windy days as some have noted.

Then on to a BT Brace. Anyone care to comment? Anyone with a Braced 2006 in the area I can test drive and compare to? Any qualititave statements of "When I do X, the car does Y much better" now that the brace is on?

And then the big question - Tires. I've driven the car long enough to know what folks diss the OEM ones. They get the job done, but they're really not great at wet weather, and they aren't even that good on dry surfaces.

So, I present my list of requirements, in order:

1. Quiet. The Quieter the better. This is my #1 concern
    2 Wet Weather handleing
    3. Potential MPG hit
    4. Dry Weather handling

If there's a top of the line that fits on a prius and absolutely rocks (I've heard the GoodYear TripleTreads may fit this bill?), then I'm sold. I'm usually a michilen man myself, so if there's a top of the line Misc that the job done, then it's a contendor too. Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Additionally, how are we now on the subject of the TPMS used by the 2006's. Can they be easilly transpkanted?

Thanks!

-Ken

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 25 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]245343[/snapback]</div>
    I have the Michelin HydroEdge on both my 04 and 06, and love them. They aren't necessarily quieter or noiser, they just have a different pitch than the OEMs. I only hear them with the radio off, just like the OEMs.

Of course, the dry performance totally blows away the OEMs, and the wet difference is even higher. Once broken in, the mpg hit is minimal, if there at all (on the 04, I seemed to take about a 1-2mpg hit for a 1000 miles or so, then the hit went away. I've only had them on about 200 miles on the 06, they don't seem to have hit the mpg).

Check for local authorized Michelin dealers on the Michelin site, as they are having a $50 rebate (but only through auth dealers, unlike last year where I bought at Sams Club and still got the rebate). Weigh the total cost after rebate against what you can find through Costco/Sams. I paid about $496 after tax and everything for a set of 4 last week at Sams.

The TPMS simply unbolt from the rim and bolt onto another rim. The back side of the TPMS is really tiny, at most 2x1.25x0.5" thick (more like 0.25" thick, but I didn't think to actually measure them - measure yours while they're out and let us know the dimensions).

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

BT Brace -- YES. Do not pass "go", do not collect $200. Just get it.

Tires -- GY Comfortreds. Quiet -- YES, better wet traction -- YES. Exact OEM fit -- YES. (Last one is "no" for the Tripletreds.)

Oh, I should rag on you for not searching the forum. Search the forum and you'll find a cornucopia of posts that echo my opinion, and a few with wrong opinions. ;)