1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

thats enough, gonna be handing this car back once the lease is over in a year

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius123, Apr 29, 2011.

1. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lately i heard this extra noise when going over bumps from the right front. Noticed when i was going slow if i'd move the steering left and right you'd hear it too. Brought it in today, when he calls me back he says its a couple parts that are loose, the rack and pinion 1300 with the steering and a control arm in the suspension 700. Its covered by warranty. So they'll give me a call once the parts come in.

After getting those winter tires I wanted to keep it but thats enough and i'm going to be handing the car back once the lease is done in over a year. I'll have had a couple winters with the tires and rubber doesnt last too long. The mileage is at 53,000km and when handing it back couldnt be over 98,000 so looks like i'll make it. Got a crack along the bottom of the windshield, i'll have to look into if autopac could replace that and pay the 250 deductable.

Wasn't sure if i should keep it but then i'd have to pay 10grand plus the warranty would be expired. Wouldn't be able to afford surprise repair bills on top of car payments. When i got the car the lease was for 4 years but the warranty was only for 3. So I paid 1000 for an extended warranty that lasts 4 years. Looking like it was a pretty good idea, with that brake actuator stuff that was ongoing and you know things like this 'll just keep getting worse. Haven't heard that brake noise when pushing hard lately though. So i'll see how that goes.

Running it in the winter the engine keeps running because of the heater so not that far different than running a regular 4 cyl car. I could shut the engine off while keeping it running by turning the heater button off on the screen but if its past -20 it'll still keep running. So whatever's going on, i'm handing this thing back.

2. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So what are you looking at instead, if you don't mind me asking?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear ya. that's a lot of problems. gonna get a 2011 or 12?

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Why on earth would any lease a Prius? The only way it makes sense to buy one is if you're going to keep it for a long time and put a lot of miles on it quickly.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear of the problems. Seems a little like dealer gouging but since it is under warranty, no problem.

Just as comparison, the majority of people have 0 repairs with 100k+ kms.

It seems strange that the rack + pinion would give out this soon. Almost makes you wonder if something else caused it to fail. The windshield is easy enough to figure out. It was cold outside one morning, you turned on the defrost full blast, and wammo bammo you got a cracked windshield. Hardly the car's fault there.

Have you thought about dressing for the weather and then you don't need full blast heat in the winter? Yes we get -20 and much colder. Be smart, wear gloves and a jacket. I keep the HVAC off the whole time even in the winter, but even if you set it to 25 or something you will net better.

Something to consider is that in the winter, the Prius always starts since there is no starter. Being from Winnipeg, I am sure you are familiar of the car that just wont crank because the battery is too low. Happens even in sunny southern Ontario! :)

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ever drive around Winnipeg? A lot of the streets resemble the Belgian Block road test course for US Army vehicles

In particular, Dugald. Also Wellington by Grovennor. Most of St Mary's is just as bad

The alignment was always going out in my Prius. The FJ seems to soak up the bumps and after 4 years, still has not needed an alignment

As far as winter operation, living in this part of the country you MUST make a "winter front" and cover the grille. I even do that for the FJ

The Prius doesn't have much waste heat. Once the temps are consistently -20 C, and certainly by -40, you have to cover the grille

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cover the grill in winter even in southern Ontario, so I can bet it's necessary in Winterpeg... along with the block heater. I also play with the heater... off at stop lights so the engine will shut down,minimal use before the engine is over about 40c... It's a lot warmer here, but I figure if I'm dressed at all for the weather outside (and you should be) then I can survive in the car with just a bit of heat. If you wanted it as warm as your living room, stay there. I will remove my coat etc if I'm driving a few hours down the highway, but with the grill blocked there's always been enough heat available for me after not too long.

8. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it even possible to get a lease for 4 years with 60,000 miles.....then turn the car back in.?????

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is why I live in a warm southern location.

Tom

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hi jayman,

The Prius, like most cars, has plenty of waste heat. Its just the 2nd Generation car did not take advantage of it. The 3rd Generation resolves that with the exhaust heat recovery system.

Not sure the Prius is a good car for rough roads driven at rally speeds , however. A real lightweight car, with a strong suspension is a must for that. An independant rear suspension is probably needed too.