1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

That's it!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is for those who've never seen anything like this before.
    [attachmentid=6439]

I got a flat tire this evening. It was a balmy -2F then. Make the frostbite in my fingers feel almost relieving.
    Notice that the high today was 8.

Attached Files:

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Mid 60's to low 70's here, mid 40's at night, and it's a cold wave...

Life's too short...

3. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was -21 F here two nights ago. I feel your pain.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok after considering that winter arrived about 2 months late for most in the midwest (came about a month early in Pac Northwest) i would think a tiny bit of cooler than normal weather might be tolerated a bit more than this.

5. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A high of -3 and a low of 13???

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Going up to 38 tomorrow here in Spokane, but tonight in Fargo (where I lived until just over a year ago) it's going to be 23 below zero with blowing snow, 15 to 20 mph and wind chills down to 40 below zero.

A good reminder of why I left. It's a nice place, but just wasn't worth it any more.

I remember the time it stayed below zero for 2 weeks, with lows around 20 below, and after about a week of that, my fuel line gelled and I woke up in the middle of the night and it was 25 degrees inside the house and the parlor heater was out and I had to get bundled up and go outside in the middle of the night and wrap heat tape around the line, and wait for it to thaw it, and then re-light the heater. It was a gravity-feed, pot-type oil burning parlor heater. The next season I had an LP-gas parlor heater installed, which was much more reliable.

7. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 3 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]384988[/snapback]</div>

...Shut up :p

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Kinda makes you want to root for Global Warming don't it? :p BTW that's -21.2F with wind chill using the new system. Frostbite is greatly enhanced by wind chill, take care.

Seriously, Bozeman Montana, 1970 or 1971, -30 with a 30 mph wind and school was still open, the weather guy said it hit -93F that day and I had to walk to school 2 miles. It would be -67F under the new system, didn't matter to me I was numb after the first block. I was never so happy to be in school. ;)

Wildkow

p.s. I'm still thawing out.

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>
    Are all the temps quoted really in Fahrenheit? They look as if they might be in Celsius. If F that's real cold! Domestic thermometers sold here don't go that low. And no, I've never been in that sort of cold.

(-2F = -18.8C)

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 4 2007, 03:18 AM) [snapback]385086[/snapback]</div>
    After 25 years living in rural North Dakota I went to Mexico to learn Spanish. I lived there for 4 1/2 years, and I always had that feeling: Still thawing out. Then I spent a year and a half in Seville, Spain, where summers get up to 120 and over, and it felt delicious. Thawing out and loving it.

My first winter in rural ND, I walked to my neighbor's house, a mile away, when the wind chill was 80 below. Actual mercury stood at 20 below. I had over-dressed and was actually too warm. I had to walk very slowly to avoid overheating. Bunny boots, parka with a sweater underneath, snowmobile mitts with knitted mittens underneath, breath-warmer mask over a balaclava, and insulated pants of my own devising, made by sewing an inch of foam insulation between a pair of regular jeans and an over-sized pair of jeans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Feb 4 2007, 04:20 AM) [snapback]385089[/snapback]</div>
    Your thermometers don't go that low? In the American midwest, thermometers go down at least as cold as 40 below zero (at which point you do not need to convert between F and C because they're the same) and some go colder.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>
    In my part of the world it was 52 last night and the high is expected to reach 84 today.

:)

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>
    Wahwah, it got down to -2 F wah.

Sometime overnight, it dipped to -36 F. The remote temperature bulb is on the exposed balcony, which faces east. I took a picture as you probably wouldn't believe me.

Not that I'm saying I enjoy this sort of temp, with a windchill of -49 C. Even if my condo burst into flames, I'm staying inside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 4 2007, 01:25 AM) [snapback]385042[/snapback]</div>
    With oil heat, especially a gravity feed system - was it one of those ugly things made by Coleman? - you really should add diesel fuel antigel. It's sold at most truckstops and heavy equipment dealers.

At my hobby farm I don't use enough diesel in the tractor to justify having two tanks, one for summer #2 and one for #1 winter. So I always add antigel to the fuel tank, and have never had a problem even at -40. I use the stuff from PRI, it claims to be safe for the rotary injector pump on my tractor

Attached Files:

13. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 3 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]384988[/snapback]</div>

BRRRRR

Way too short....

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    jayman, glad to see you keep your home at a reasonable temperature. i prefer it a bit cooler and up until my SO got pregnant, we battled over house temps constantly. now she is 7½ months and wants it colder than me!!. all the heat is turned off at night so every morning i get up its about 55º in the house.

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 3 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]384988[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah this is our COLD WAVE.... (But you may not want to move to Fla. You might get labled one of those dumb floridians). :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a norm anything under 55* here in Fla is concidered cold. normaly its anywhere from 102* to 80* in the summer & 32*(rare) 48* to 75* here in central Fla.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 4 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]385178[/snapback]</div>

Move to California. Same weather sans humidity. And you can be labeled an intellectual Californian.
    :lol:

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 4 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]385168[/snapback]</div>
    I was jogging on the treadmill at the Fargo YMCA one day when it was below zero outside (just a normal winter day in Fargo) when the fire alarm went off. I debated whether it would be worse to burn to death, or to go outside into sub-zero weather (and a moderate breeze -- don't know what the precise wind chill was) wearing jogging shorts and a t-shirt and sweating profusely. I decided to ignore the alarm, and they shut it off before anyone arrived to kick anyone off the treadmills. Nobody in the cardio room left. On another similar occasion they chased us out of the cardio room, up to the lobby, but nobody was willing to go outside. Eventually they decided it was another false alarm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 4 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]385168[/snapback]</div>
    It wasn't too ugly. I don't remember who made it. I only had it the one winter, around 1976/77. Thirty years is a long time to remember fine details. There was a ring-shaped depression in the floor of it. Oil flowed in by gravity and burned there. A mysterious mechanism raised and lowered the heat by governing the level of oil in the ring. It had a non-electric thermostat and an electric blower. When the power failed it continued to put out heat, but the blast of warm air at floor level required electricity. When the neighbors were all without heat due to a power failure, I stayed warm.

On another occasion I awoke to a cold house and found that soot had built up in the ring, allowing only a very small flame. I had to turn it off and wait for it to cool, then scrape out the ring with a screwdriver, and vacuum out the soot, before I could turn it on and light it again. That was the last straw. I don't remember if I replaced it immediately then, or if I did it during the summer.

The LP gas heater was still a parlor heater with a non-electric thermostat and a blower, so I still had heat when the power went out, but I never had any trouble with it.

18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Feb 3 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]384988[/snapback]</div>
    How did I miss you going to CA!..Last I heard it was FL.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 3 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]384985[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but you haven't spent a summer in San Francisco! :lol:

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco''

~ (not) Mark Twain
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNGOBEA9JI1.DTL

It may be bitter cold for you now, but don't worry, the blazing hot and humid weather will soon be there to average it all out for you. :p

So, what is the average yearly temperature in Chicago? 49!
    Burrrrrr . . . l wouldn't just be thinking about leaving . . . I'd be gone!!!

But 49 degrees is only part of the story. Averaging two extremely divergent numbers or averaging two relatively close numbers can still get you that same average number. Look for an area with closer extremes in temperature . . . but that too is not a guarantee of nice weather.

Difference Between Average Summer and Average Winter Temps.

Honolulu . . . 8 degrees. (nice . . . if you like warm muggy rain year round.)
    San Diego . . . 15 degrees. (nice year round! Probably the best in the nation.)
    Miami . . . . . . 15 degrees. (thunderstorms, hurricanes, and hot, muggy summers, etc.)
    San Francisco . 15 degrees. (See quote above)
    Seattle . . . . . . 24 degrees. (freakin' rainy, gray, and cold year round! OK, except for maybe that week or two in August. :rolleyes: )
    Sacramento . . . 30 degrees. (most sunshine of listed cities B) , dry summer heat with cool ocean breezes at night. :D )
    Anchorage . . . 43 degrees. (even grayer than Seattle!)
    Chicago? . . . . 50 degrees. (With ADHD weather like that . . . get the f*** out while you still can!!)

http://www.cityrating.com/averagetemperature.asp
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online.../pctposrank.txt
    http://www.cityrating.com/citytemperature.asp?City=Chicago
    http://www.cityrating.com/citytemperature....ity=San%20Diego

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 4 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]385232[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. But you pay for it. We have one of the highest costs of living. You're going to pay close to half a million dollars for a "used" home even in a lousy neighborhood. If you want something newer or nicer you'll pay more and have to commute from farther away from downtown. Of course, if you work out there, no problem. I've actually known people to commute from Temecula or Big Bear. (look it up)

We have high gasoline prices.

I'm sure our food is higher.

We pay for water. Some communities don't. We do.

And I'm sure SDG&E is way up there in their charges for electricity and natural gas.

San Diego is one of the most expensive cities to live in (several more on the top ten are also in California)

We call it "sunny dollars". The price you pay for having really nice weather.