1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"That's my boy..."

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 9G-man, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    During the last couple years of ownership, and perfecting of my Prius driving techniques, my son has sat shotgun on many occassions and patiently listened to me carry on about how the Prius works and how I'm manipulating it's operation with my right foot. You know, things like glide, stealth, regen, anticipating stops, exploiting hills , the 41 Mph threshold that sperates some of these and the best use of EV switch.

Having turned 15, he recently got his learners permit. And of course we've been gradually expanding his driving environment, from the parking lots to neighborhood to roads etc. Already quite experienced at operating different motorized vehicles, he's doing quite well and drives most times we are together. But I've never tried to coach him into driving the Prius "special", cause I want his concentration on the road.

Well, on several occassions with him at the wheel, I've noticed on the MFD extensive stealth operation, extensive glides, and overall efficient Prius driving that appears to be intentional, but I just dispelled as luck. Then I see it some more, and finally he says,
    "Am I doing it right".
    "Doing what right, son"?
    "You know, the whole pulse and glide thingy." "It's really easy"
    prideful grin
    "You sure are, and pretty good at it too."

That's my boy. "Now pay attention to the road, you better not wreck my car doing that stuff, always think about that other car.......drive defensively.....yaddy, yaddy..";)

His friends actually think it's cool he gets to drive a Prius, imagine that.

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So there IS hope for future generations. Good for him!

BUT - I didn't find out until they were in their late twenties and early thirties what my boys REALLY did with our cars when they started driving alone. And I'm glad I didn't know because I would have killed them.:D

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Years ago had a customer bring his Landcruiser in with a problem, it wouldn't go up steep hills. A short drive and we knew the clutch was shot.
    Pick the car up to remove the transmission and find shredded rubber under the rear mudguards, ring the owner and ask about the burn-outs. "no, haven't done any burn-outs." Do you have a son who drives the car? "My 17 year old son drove it yesterday but he is very responsible." Would you like to see the rubber under the rear guards? "I'll kill the little bastard!!"

I wouldn't even have tried doing burnouts in a Landcruiser.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if it works in your family like it did in mine, Parents eventually got a new car and the old car was handed down for kid's use. So...your son may be looking at having your Prius as his daily driver until he graduates from college or moves away.

Still, good job there. It would be nice if hypermiling replaced whatever it is they do these days for showing off. ("46 mpg? That's nothing I got 58 mpg on my current tank right now.")

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lucky for your son...he gets to get a Learner's permit at 15. My daughter is not quite 16 and she can't wait for her B-day so she can get her permit as well. We had the pleasure to teach her on few occassions behind the wheel of the Prius, but she will eventually be driving my old 95 Taurus SHO. She is not too happy about the idea, but the Prius remains in my possession.