1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 10 Gallon Vacation - Navigator Vs Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Guess who wins?

But I think they are giving the Navigator too much credit!! Who gets EPA Mileage after all?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/trav...wgaspain10.html

Gas-pain summer: Great escapes on 10 gallons or less

STEVE RINGMAN / THE SEATTLE TIMES, 2003

If you travel to Astoria, Ore., in a gas-saving Prius, you can visit Fort Clatsop, where Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1805-06.

Gas prices keeping you close to home this vacation season? Through Labor Day, Northwest Weekend is offering weekly ideas for close-to-Seattle getaways you can get to and back on less than 10 gallons of gas. And just to make it more "real world" — our tips are fine-tuned to whether you own a big honkin' SUV or a gas-sipping hybrid electric.

The fine print: Our "demo" vehicles are a Lincoln Navigator, which can get you 90 miles away and back on 10 gallons, and a Toyota Prius, which can get you 250 miles away and back on 10 gallons.*

The Lincoln Navigator getaway

Secret tip: Ferries let you cheat a little on the miles (though, we have to admit, they don't save you money).

Port Angeles is 84 miles away (including the Edmonds-to-Kingston ferry run), and this weekend, not only can you take the scenic drive up to Hurricane Ridge or a side trip to Dungeness Spit, you can rattle around in a suit of armor and gnaw on a haunch of something roasted to a fine doneness at the Port Angeles Renaissance Faire, this Friday through Sunday at Clallam County Fairgrounds.

More information: For Port Angeles information, 877-456-8372 or www.portangeles.org; www.northwestsecretplaces.com; Renaissance Faire, www.portangelesfaire.org

The Toyota Prius getaway

With your gas-sipper, you can still make it as far as the Oregon Coast.

Go ahead, plan a three-day weekend and nab some reservations for a bed-and-breakfast in historic Astoria (183 miles from Seattle). Then explore the area where Lewis and Clark reached the Pacific, including nearby Fort Clatsop National Memorial, where the explorers spent the winter.

Starting next week, your $5 entry to the re-created fort also gets you a three-day pass for a summer shuttle that visits all Lewis-and-Clark sites from Long Beach to Cannon Beach during the 200th anniversary commemoration.

More information: For Astoria information, www.oldoregon.com or 800-875-6807; for Fort Clatsop: www.nps.gov/focl

* Based on EPA highway-mileage ratings for 2004 vehicles: Prius = 51 mpg. Navigator 2WD = 18 mpg. Trips measured using MapQuest routes from Fourth Avenue and Pine Street in downtown Seattle.

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is funny. 84 mile trip for the Navigator and 183 for the "gass-sipper" Prius. That is one mile shy of hundred miles more. :D

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I presently own a Ford Explorer (4L V6 auto) and am waiting for my Prius (Silver #9) and I get better than EPA. I average 20-21 per tank doing what I call rural/city driving. I have been minding my p's and q's recently and have pushed it to 21-22. On the freeway I get 25-26. Pure city I do rarely and it drops to 19-20. It has a computer that is with in 3-5 tenths as compared to odometer/pump gallons so I can check easily or at least it was the last time I checked. The sticker stated 17-23 as I remember. I am a fairly conservative driver stay under the speed limit etc. I can not remember if the Navigator is the same as the Explorer or the Expedition. Point is you can get EPA in a car if you try.
    Henry Drygas

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

That certainly has been true of the Prius, from the reports on this site.

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Navigator is Mercury's version of the Expedition.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 'no one gets EPA' remark was, of course, a tongue-in-cheek dig at all the articles complaining about the misleading EPA ratings and the Prius.

However, out of curiosity I went over to Edmunds and searched the Expedition, Navigator, and SUV Mileage threads.

Seems the consensus there is 11-12 City and 15-16 Highway (tops) for those, with most people figuring on 13-14 MPG combined.

Figuring that you are taking a three day holiday in this test, and are going to presumably spend some time running around at your destination, wouldn't it make sense to compare combined mileage anyway?