1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The $166.00 Halogen Head light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rjmiz, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rjmiz

rjmiz New Member

Today I noticed the passenger high beam is out on my 2007 with 16,500 miles on it. (funny, but I didn't notice it while driving) Truth be known the high beams are so bright that while driving, you can't tell the lights out!

Anyway the point of this post is that I read on another forum a gentleman complaining that his drivers side was out, and that it was going to cost $166 to replace because they (the service dept) have to take off the front bumper cover to get around the fuse box. (I think I quoted him correctly)

Is this true!? Are we all doomed to eventually pay the money we all saved in gas back to Toyota some day?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought they were more expensive to replace than that. I'd be pretty dang pissed if I had one go out at 16,500...would be talking to the dealer and calling Toyota to see if they'll cover part of the cost...but i don't think it's covered under any warranty.

3. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Yes.

On the plus side, this is no different from any other modern, well-equipped car. And it's not some conspiracy to gouge us, either: we're just packing more/better/fancier technology to a smaller and smaller space.

4. rjmiz

rjmiz New Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    uhhhhhhhh

first, this will be covered under the 3/36 warranty. next, you just reach back and change the damn bulb. like any other car. you remove the bumper to remove the headlamp assy or the hid computer.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    huh? can't you just replace the bulb?

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Guys, the title of the thread is "The $166.00 Halogen Head light?" These aren't HIDs.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you look in the Owners Manual, there are instructions to replace the headlight bulb. You have to remove the plastic piece above the grille, but you should be able to remove / replace the bulb without removing the bumper cover.

If you need to remove the Headlight Assembly (the housing) then you have to remove the bumper cover as Galaxee mentioned.

The owners manual says its an HB2 bulb. Isn't that commonly available at any auto parts store?

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/R4HLA131.5B.html

9. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's crazy! On all my other cars you can get to the headlight bulbs very easily. I think its rather poor engineering by Toyota.

10. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Texas911 @ Aug 8 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]492322[/snapback]</div>
    What's hard about access as per the descriptions given for replacing the bulb already posted? Doesn't seem a problem to me.

11. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    not poorly trained, they just know how to get more cash out of people who come in for service without said customer knowing the truth

12. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Go and try to access the bulbs and then tell us its just as easy as reading it on the manual. It isn't.

13. rjmiz

rjmiz New Member

"Go and try to access the bulbs and then tell us...."

Whoa! ....I really want to change the Toyota Prius bulb again.... just like I'm looking
    froward to squeezing my fingers in a vise some time soon.

93 degree weather, hot and humid. No where in the manual did it illustrate, or indicate
    that you must have the hands of a five year old child before proceeding.
    (Tip: when you change yours, observe the way it comes out) There is one tab on top, and 2 on the bottom.

It took me an hour, but now that I know what I'm doing (through trial and error) I think I can
    change the next one in 55 minutes flat. It's a tight squeeze to maneuver around in there.

I have had more headaches with the Prius headlamps right from the beginning. From being
    aimed too high, and bringing it back to the dealer 3 times for adjustments, just to wind up
    adjusting them myself finally.(300 miles traveled)... to the bulb burning out at just over 16,000 miles.

There's no question in my mind, the next time I pay a mechanic for sure!

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    This is not unusual. Even much larger vehicles (the anti-Prius for example - 2001 Pathfinder) can be a bear to change headlamps. It used the same bulbs as the Prius, 9003 or H4. First, remove the battery (for the right side), or the airbox, (for the left side). Good thing they don't burn out very often. Even with DRLs. The bulb, BTW, is only $10 or so.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Japanese engineers probably have smaller hands than North American car owners (on average). :)

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think they are a pain on all newer cars, the wifes beetle isnt an easy change and I recently did my sister's Mazda and it still ended up being a 45 minute hassle.

17. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Confusing posts....

If it's the high beam halogen, its about a $10 bulb and it can be replaced by any shop, or you can do it yourself very easily. Reach behind the headlight bucket and unplug, remove and replace. Don't touch the glass! It's a standard HB2 bulb. I'd be surprised if any incandescent bulb like that would be covered under warranty.

If it's the FOG light, then yes you have to disassemble at least part of the bumper assembly. Kind of a pain. Again it's a 9006 HB4 bulb , about $10, but the labor is going to be big if you have the dealer do it.

If it's a HID headlight, it should be covered under warranty since they are expected to last the life of the car.

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 8 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]492650[/snapback]</div>
    Clean the bulb with an alcohol pad somethimes grease from your hands gets on the bulbs and they don't like that one bit at all, no siree! May not help because that advise is usually for halogen bulbs but what the heck it can't hurt and what better excuse do you need to bust open that headlight one more time!?!? :lol:

Wildkow

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 8 2007, 07:10 AM) [snapback]492334[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously you've never attempted to change the bulbs in the Prius. It's a PITA to replace/change the bulbs. Go try it yourself.

20. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 9 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]492857[/snapback]</div>

What I said was: "What's hard about access as per the descriptions given for replacing the bulb already posted? Doesn't seem a problem to me."

Now if you have information that specifically indicates why the descriptions re changing the bulb given earlier in the thread are not accurate and that therefore it is harder than implied, that would be helpful.