1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 2007 Toyota Yaris

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by 2Hybrids, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Sooooo...on the way home from dinner this evening, we pulled into the Toyota Lot (as we always do) just to have a look around. Sitting in front was a white 2007 Toyota Yaris.

Though it was dark, my first impression was that I was looking at a 4-door Scion TC, with the interior of a Scion XA / XB mixture. List price on the vehicle was 14,995.

Not as intriqued as we thought we would be. We've seen loads of Yaris in the UK and they were quite cute. Not the same looking here...too Americanized...

Maybe we are spoiled by our Prius.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

were seeing lots of them here as they have been on the Canadian market for months now and yup not the best looking front end in my opinion. I liked the Echo Hatchback a lot better than the Yaris. I think Toyota made an ugly duckling on this one.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You haven't seen the Yaris sedan have you? lol. I prefer the hatchback's front to the sedan's front.

4. Frank Hudon

actually I haven't seen the sedan yet. Lots of hatches. you mean it's even worse?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it certainly isn't the prettiest face Toyota came up with. I think I prefer the 2000 Echo's front design.

6. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Guess I should have put this topic in the "other cars" section...didn't realize til this morning.

Mind you, it was dark, but the lights of the lot were on. The side profle looked like a squished Avalon. Everything else was Scion TC-esque.

Yes, the front end....ew...

But, if Toyota is timing this right,...with petrol prices on the rise,....people still unsure of hybrids,....lower sticker,....4-doors,.... It could work if people can get over the look.

7. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Personally, I like the look of the Yaris sedan. What will be nice is if Toyota puts in a 1.0 liter version of the HSD. You'd be looking at 60+ mph routinely with the room of a Corolla. It will come.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm. Also, I had a chance to drive the Yaris (actually 3 chances, 2 test drives and a courtesy car when my Prius was in the service bay for the update). The engine and transmission combo is quite lively. The engine's a bit noisy under harder acceleration and it's a bit noisy on the highway. You sit up high though. Quite high. I was eye-to-eye with a Jeep Cherokee driver lol. SUV eh?

Also, I never knew how inconvenient it is without power door locks on a hatchback. I had to unlock before opening the hatch and had to remember to lock it after I close it. The fuel gauge has 8 bars I think. During the week, I used 2 or 3 bars. Yikes!

9. Frank Hudon

you just gotta learn to slouch!

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought my parents a bayou blue metallic Yaris. My mom loves it. She has to commute downtown and it is a cinch to parallel park and u-turn. It's pretty good on gas too. They are getting around 6.7L/100km. They drove a craptacular Neon before which they bought new last year. It was getting around 9.8L/100km.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. nice. LE Pkg "B"?

6.7 is great. I don't know what I got when I had the Yaris as a courtesy car. I didn't calculate but I used about 3 bars in the few days I had it.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i saw my first Yaris today. The second i saw it i knew what it was. I smilled and stared as i drove by. they were looking at me too. It was that light green color. not bad :)

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    light green? there's no light green... ohh.. the sedan?

14. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I don't think Toyota should keep trying to force-feed the Starlet/Tercel/Echo/Yaris "segment"
    Especially since they've just injected the Scion into the "low end". Of the four, the Tercel was the best, but even the sales of that weren't good enough for Toyota. There's no low-end Honda to compete with, either. Are they going after Aveo sales?

This is another whole topic, but I worry a little about Toyota overextending itself. Having reached "maturity" as an automaker sometime in the last 15 years (you can argue when),
    they now probably make too many cars after very rapid expansion. The "Big 3" also overextended themselves and were forced to retrench---unfortunately, long after they should have.

Ford had to quickly back off the Edsel when it was apparent there was no new market segment for it. Probably only the Navigator saved Lincoln, but probably only postponed the inevitable. Chrysler had to ditch the DeSoto, then, ultimately, the Plymouth. GM held onto Oldsmobile too long, Pontiac is struggling and GMC might have to be abandoned.

I know there are other factors at play here---changing tastes, inability to shed old "images", etc.---but all I'm saying is that it seems to be a pattern to have to pull in your horns at some point.

Toyota is all too aware of the potential problem, having said so just half a year ago---worrying about quality control, management span, maintaining adequate training, etc. But I'd guess dropping a car line or two when you're making money hand over fist is very hard to actually do. Manufacturing in several different countries must tax management, too.

15. kfarad

kfarad Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 7 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]251333[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it direct competition with the Honda Fit?

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Btw, the Yaris is really just a renamed Echo. I heard the Echo name garnered so much stigma that no reinvention would get around the name. Sorta like the Chevy Nova?

17. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhm, the yaris is quite better than the echo.

In japan its the vitz, i saw it in person a year ago and was quite impressed.. they have the four door yaris hatch which is awesome and it even comes with smart entry.

it is in competition with the honda fit. its already in comp. with the fit in japan

and scion vs. yaris: the yaris is still okay because its for different target groups. scion was basically started by asking the young designers to design something they would buy. even though scions and yaris are cheap, scions are targeted for the young audience as proven by all the customizations you can add onto them. yaris is more for people who want the reliability of a toyota but they can't afford a camry, and they are a bit more mature for scions.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ghost, I'm sure you haven't seen Toyota's lineup in Japan. They have tons of vehicles that'll make you think Toyota's one of the big 3. Yet, Toyota has 15 out of 30 vehicles that made it to the Top 30 cars in March in Japan.

There's nothing wrong with the B segment (aka subcompact) as there's another class below it (K-car or superminis) that are dominated by 1.0-1.4 litre engines, < 100hp and < 900kg.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ May 8 2006, 12:02 AM) [snapback]251355[/snapback]</div>
    2nd Gen Vitz (aka Echo) and also Wikipedia. SCP10 or NCP10 - 13 and TRD parts.

20. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 8 2006, 12:02 AM) [snapback]251356[/snapback]</div>
    I became aware of Toyota's Japanese lineup two years ago, and my jaw dropped.

The total number of models available to the Japanese from Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Suzuki must be mind-blowing.

I repeat: too many models. Or is Toyota really a covert employment program for engineers?