1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 3M tape on the shifter applique

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by UltraJetRefill, Dec 19, 2017.

1. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm about to purchase the black shifter applique, and after reading the install pdf I just wanted to ask a few questions.

1. When lining up the applique, does the 3M tape grab on pretty aggressively? Are you able to precisely line it up before the tape grabs? I'm assuming no do-overs once the tape grabs.

2. What 'VDC cleaner' did you use?

3. Will the 3M tape ever come loose (thinking of the extreme heat here in Arizona)?

4. If you ever wanted to remove it, is this possible? (e.g. if it starts to come loose)

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    3M tape is one of the best ideas for automotive applications. When using you maybe able to lift up the piece and realign it if you don't push the tape down on the mounting area. But you basically have to be extra careful not to put any pressure down on the tape. 3M once on sticks and will not come lose from heat. Most molding on exterior of new cars are secured by 3M tape as well as emblems. You can remove it, but it's a long process getting the tape off. It's best to leave it in place. Rubbing alcohol can be used on the exterior to clean, but not sure what would happen on plastic interior parts.

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  3. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. Thanks for the info! (y)

orenji likes this.