1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 64000 km tune/service helped my mileage.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Eug, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    My last fillup was CAD$48, the most I have EVER paid for my car, but it was only 35.585 L, which is adds up to $48 at $1.349 per L. This was for a distance of 714.3 km, including a mixture of some highway driving and some city driving (including my usual short haul relatively jackrabbitish driving).

It seems that 64000 km major tuneup really did help. The computer stated that over that 714.3 km the car used 4.9 L/100 km, and the calculated value is 4.98 L/100 km so that's pretty close. That's about 47-48 mpg (US). This was the first full tank I've used since the service, which included:

Wheel balancing and rotation
    Coolant replacement
    Inverter coolant replacement
    Air filter replacement
    Fuel injection flush
    Throttle body cleaning
    Front brake maintenance

I don't know how much of that was overkill, but nonetheless I'm pleased. Now, you may not think 4.9/4.98 L/100 km (47-48 mpg US) is all that great, but that is the best I have ever gotten on this car, presumably because of my driving style. My fuel economy history (until last month) is here:

[​IMG]

On the right is total km per tank.
    On the left is total litres per tank.
    On the bottom and left is gas mileage in litres/100 km.

You'll see that the mileage is over 5 L/100 km during the summer, to over 7 L/100 km in the dead of winter. It's summer now so I should be at the low end closer to 5, but like I said I've never actually gotten below 5 before on a full tank.

I live in Toronto by the way. The driving consisted of a fair amount of highway driving (with 3 people in the car), mostly with air conditioning (on low), some short-haul shopping, and quite a bit of commuting back and forth to work and home - 15 km each way.