1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Acceleration Trick

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by electricity_guzzler, May 31, 2006.

1. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

I was drafting behind a car for several miles maintaining about 2 car lengths and keeping the same speed (between 75 to 85). Until he probably got annoyed and noticed that I was driving a Prius. He slowed down to about 60 then accelerated quickly. Left me in the dust as I could not accelerate as fast. It was embarrasing. Dang these smart drivers of powerful cars!

2. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ May 31 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]263758[/snapback]</div>
    Hm could it be because you were drafting, and the person wanted you off their tail?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Would have been funny if you'd have passed him when he slowed to 60. :D

4. MarieH

MarieH New Member

Sure the other driver was a "he"? I've gotten nervous before when a car follows me for long, especially if I'm alone and there's not much other traffic. Doesn't bother me if there are several of us traveling at the same speed. Maybe I'm just paranoid....but I also know that I got on the interstate one morning behind a friend of mine and followed her to work. It was just before daylight and she didn't realize it was me. When I pulled into the parking deck to after her, she had her pistol out and cocked, cause I'd scared her. Maybe you just scared the other driver and *she* took off to loose you.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If *they* are going to vary speed way more than you would during
    normal P&G, then really, you don't want to be anywhere near them.
    Rush-hour traffic has become a total kick by now, since the challenge
    is to play the "average speed" game with a huge following gap and
    watch things actually *stabilize* around me. Sure, a few impatient
    self-important types jump into the gap and try to get ahead, but they
    get just as nailed as everyone else and I wind up passing or keeping
    abreast of them without changing a thing and very likely without ever
    touching the brakes. One of these days, people will learn that duh,
    guess what, we all get home at the same time. I just do it with
    significantly less stress now.
    _H*

6. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 31 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]263801[/snapback]</div>
    No, most of those people will never learn that.

It is amazing how relaxing it can be to be traveling a little below the average speed on the highway, avoiding the left lanes of course, and allowing most of the other drivers to blow on past, looking like lemmings racing toward a cliff somewhere.

7. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarieH @ May 31 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]263799[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, Bama. Maybe it's time to get some new friends/co-workers... :|

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hmm.. no but it's funny to see people beside you, only to see them drop behind when the shift a gear.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ May 31 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]263758[/snapback]</div>

It’s called tailgating, you’re lucky they didn’t slam on there brakes. I have, and that seems to get them off my tail. It’s dangerous and I don’t understand why you would put your life and other people’s life in jeopardy for the sake of saving less than $.50 worth of gas? But then I wasn’t there?

10. MarieH

MarieH New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ May 31 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]263865[/snapback]</div>
    you missed the point...she didn't know it was me...all she knew was that someone was following her on the interstate, off the exit, and into the dark, lonely parking deck. Under the same circumstances, I'd have had my pistol out as well. There are freaks out there, and this happened not long after a young female doctor had been abducted and killed. Following people too closely can scare them, and scared people can be dangerous.

11. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarieH @ Jun 1 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]263969[/snapback]</div>
    you can carry guns in your car?

12. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    guns are the answer.

13. David Harville

David Harville New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarieH @ Jun 1 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]263969[/snapback]</div>
    How about pulling into a well-lit parking lot -- convenience store, gas staion, whatever -- before you get to the dark, lonely parking deck? No weapons necessary.

14. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarieH @ Jun 1 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]263969[/snapback]</div>
    Someone taking out a gun just because a car was following her for a while? And you find this reasonable? Nice world you are living in...

What if the other person had a gun in the car as well, and got nervous because a unknown person was pointing a gun at her/him?

If you think someone is following you, there are dozens of way to check out if they really are. And if they are, and you feel unsecure, drive to the nearest police station or any place with many people.

15. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ May 31 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]263758[/snapback]</div>
    As indicated by others, this is tailgateing. You should have been about 8 car lengths behind. Actually better yet is the two second rule. By leaving two seconds of space from the car in front it works out to about 1 car length per 10 MPH.

BTW, I use the same type of tactic. If it is a two lane road and all I see behing me are headlights, I'll slow down and then accelerate sometimes this communicates the message. If there is a good passing opportunity, I'll just slow down and make the jackass pass me.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, not in quite that same way... but some road raging country boy in the mountains decided to tailgate us, flash his brights on and off, etc... pass us, throw something at our windshield, THEN accelerate fast to get away.

17. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 31 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]263788[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately in this country people tend to have the "I own the Road" thing in their head and when you go to pass someone they accelerate 10-15 mph above what they have been doing cause no one is going to pass them! Or you end op with some jerk like galaxee ran into.
    To Belgium: Americans seem to be an unhappy and insecure bunch so unfortunately guns in a car and using your car as a weapon should not surprise anyone.

18. too tall

too tall New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 1 2006, 05:06 AM) [snapback]263955[/snapback]</div>
    Slamming on the brakes to get rid of a tailgater is against the law almost everywhere, not to mention that some folks get shot for doing it. You'd be irritating a person who is already angry, which is not too smart.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(too tall @ Jun 1 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]264104[/snapback]</div>
    "But officer, there was a deer and its baby which ran in front of me, and no, THEY didn't see it, BECAUSE THEY WERE TOO BUSY TAILGATING ME!!!" :angry:
    Then it becomes your word against their's . . . and oops, they were the one who were tailgating. :p

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And the guy who rear-ends the car in front is always at fault. No matter if you hit your brakes because "OMG, I love this song!"

One rear-end accident will increase your insurance premiums. It would take decades to save that much on fuel.

As for guns in cars, I can imagine the two of you shooting it out in some Alabama parking lot. Now it'll come down to who's the best shot, or the fastest draw. Yee-ha.

And I have a hard time believing you were just "innocently" behind her car enroute to work. Maybe you were a little playful? Zoom up and drop back? Flashing your lights? Most drivers don't realize the same car is following them unless it's too close or doing unusual things. Methinks you're mostly to blame.