1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Actual Buying Process

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kiloran, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Treat each component as a separate transaction and be firm about handling them one at a time.
    *Price of vehicle
    *Trade in price
    *Warrantee price
    *Financing

Salesdroids like to lump these together to confuse you.
    They know the value of each.
    If they won't play nice, smile, thank them, and pack up your stuff.
    Most likely you won't reach the door before they change tactics.

2. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I'll be paying cash for the car up front -- I know this would normally have a bit of bargaining power, but I don't think as much for a Prius, eh?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)You need to establish your trade-in price now...or very shortly before you go to close on the car. If you wait until you show up they could easily low-ball you on the trade-in to try to boost their own profit margin. So, either see if they'll give you an apraisal ahead of time (best), or print out the Edmunds and Kelley trade-in prices for your car and present those as your minimum acceptible trade-in value. If they refuse then you have to be prepared to close the deal without the trade-in or to be prepared to walk away. Otherwise they've got you over a barrel. Realize that it isn't that hard to sell a car privately these days and you will make more money on the sale than you will on trade-in.

The key is you have to be able to either walk away from the Prius purchase or to be able to buy the car without the trade-in unless you have assurance of a fair trade-in price before you show up to close.

2)Consider buying your extended warranty through PriusChat. Part of the sale goes to help support the site and it's as good a deal as you will find. If you do buy through your dealer and use the PriusChat price as leverage then it would be cool if you'd at least send in a donation.

3)You might get lucky and get the floor mats thrown in for free, but expect to pay full price...the salescreature makes a little money that way and it isn't that much money and it's nice to drive home with the mats already in rather than saving a few bucks and ordering from a third party.

4)Be sure to read and bring along all the stuff from Taking Delivery of a Prius: A survival Guide There may be some slight variations for the '06, but there's a lot of good info in there that will really prepare you for before and when you show up to you don't have any suprises. Read that at least a week before you take delivery.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Handle the warranty price separately from the "car deal". Must be an SE, how many miles are on your Grand AM, does it have a V6, sunroof, 2dr or 4dr, and what color is it?

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Was wanting to do this -- I have to detail my car and get it all prettied up to get a price. One thing that both Toyota dealers in my area have said is that they like to give KBB value, so I'm counting on that.

I wasn't aware of that, might do that.

I found that last week -- will definitely be taking a copy with me. Thanks!

6. Wynder

Wynder New Member

4dr SE, power locks, silver with 80, 333 miles on it right now. It was a '99 that we got in 2000 with about 8 miles on it (it was a display model) and they gave us a pretty insane deal on it, even with the employee discount.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Assuming it is a 4cylinder, It would be worth about $3600 to me less any cosmetic needs(tires, scratches, dings) and mechanical problems. I would guess they will start you at $2000 on a Prius.