1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Air Car

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by saechaka, Oct 31, 2006.

1. saechaka

saechaka Member

my buddy at worked just showed me this car. seems interesting. i was just skeptical that they can make this thing run very far. any thoughts. http://www.theaircar.com/

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think it's mostly hype. Yes, you can store energy in compressed air and run a motor off of it. And yes, you can make a hybrid out of it by using a gas engine and a compressed-air motor-compressor. My question would be, how does the efficiency and range compare to an EV or gas-electric hybrid?

The concept is so simple and obvious that I suspect if it is not being built already there is some simple economic reason, as for example, it's not cost-effective compared to electricity.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there was an air car speed-record entry at Bonneville, in the early part of the last century. I don't think this is a new idea.

What I *do* suspect is that this release is part of a scheme to take the company public as a penny stock, use media buzz to push the stock price higher without their actually producing anything, then the investors can sell at a profit and go on their merry way.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 31 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]341616[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you 100%.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

I would drive an air car. But then, I also play air guitar.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the spirit of "Question Everything"

Is this just Hot Air?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Nov 2 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]342629[/snapback]</div>
    Probably about as much as seeing the Moller Air Car going into production anytime soon.

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I don't think we will see the air car breaking wind any time soon.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still like my idea for an emissions-free car better: you just strap this big plastic bag on top of the roof...it collects the exhaust...and when it's full, you just throw it away!!!

We'll be embarking on the road show immediately, and announcing the IPO real soon.