1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Alarm (beeping horn) Sounds - Key Fob in My Pocket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by retired navy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. retired navy

retired navy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Today was the 10th time the horn started beeping. The car was safely parked in the garage. It appears as though the Keyless Fob in my pocket gets bumped.

Is there any way to disable this alarm? This has become a constant nuisance to my and my wife.

Thanks...

2. SusanS

SusanS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

3. retired navy

retired navy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Susan,
    Thank you for your suggestion.

I just carefully checked and discovered that the rubberized "Panic Button" cover on my fob wasn't mashed, but after looking at it for a few minutes, I decided to try another route. I took a business card and drew an outline of the small, oval "Panic Button" on it, then drew another outline of the button on another part of the card. I then cut out both outlines giving a 1/8" border so they would fit over to make the button less vulnerable; then centered them over the actual button, so as to create a ridge surrounding the button, then I placed another piece 1/2 x 1/2 square over that. I then wrapped electrical tape around them, so now it is pretty difficult to depress this button intentionally, much less by accident. As the electrical tape is the color as the fob, at a casual glance, it looks normal.

Have a fun weekend....it is raining here (again).