1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Auxiliary Audio Jack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by New Revelation, Aug 27, 2006.

1. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the 2007 brochure I have been reading there was a page where you can connect an MP3/digital media player to the aux audio jack to I guess assume listen to tunes from that port through the radio. Now I am not sure if this jack was on previous models, but could anyone tell me if that jack does what it says? And, where is this particular ack located. From this brochure pic it looks like it could be located in the storage compartment in between the seats.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Starting with the 2006 MY, there was a mini-stereo jack in the center console. There has been a 12V power outlet there since 2004 MY. The stereo input plays through the audio system, and you can charge your iPod/MP3 player at the same time.

Read the Audio & Electronics forum and you'll see lots of discussions about the AUX-in versus other methods (DICE, VAIS) for connecting external music players.

3. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Thats where it is right next to the 12 plug. And yes it does work. I have plugged my zen mp3 player into it and have my XM reciever hooked to it also. Some posters have had to use a ground loop device to it for hum but I have had no troubles at all. Hope this helps

4. tompauley

tompauley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralph b @ Aug 27 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]310309[/snapback]</div>

Ralph B-

How did you connect the XM to the AUX? Did you need to do anything special? Does it charge the XM as well?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom14 @ Aug 29 2006, 07:27 AM) [snapback]311089[/snapback]</div>
    I have a portable XM radio. I use the AUX of the DICE unit as the 2005 doesn't have the AUX like the 2006. It has a base with connections for the antenna, power (the AUX alone won't charge the XM) and audio output. It could be connected (with an 1/8" male to male connecting cable) using the headphone output to the AUX (without charging), but the base gives a better signal.

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

I'm not Ralph, but my XM Roady2 is plugged into the AUX port. I bought a male-to-male cable at Radio Shack, and went from the audio output of the Roady to the AUX port. Right now, the cable runs around the passenger side of the console and in under the lid. When I have some free time on a weekend, I'm going to figure a way to route it in underneath the console (requiring drilling a hole, no doubt) to hide the wiring. Works like a champ. No, it doesn't charge the Roady - the AUX port is only for audio input into the stereo system.

7. tompauley

tompauley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 29 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]311204[/snapback]</div>

Glenhead-

Thanks for the info. I am getting a Pioneer Inno (have been using the XM2GO) and am looking for a way to hook it up to the Prius. Once I get the Inno, I will look at which connector I will need for the AUX port and see if that works. I will report back the outcome for others.

Tom

8. tompauley

tompauley New Member

Update as promised. Received the Pioneer Inno. Used a regular 3.5 plug on both ends to connect the Inno to the AUX jack in the center console. Sound is great! I did not have an external antenna but got above average reception.

However, when I tried to connect the car charger, I got a very loud constant humming! I will be at Best Buy when they open to get the car kit to see if that will solve the humming problem, but also to install the external antenna.

Anyone have any thoughts/causes for the humming?

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom14 @ Aug 31 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]312115[/snapback]</div>
    It's called a ground loop. Basically, the radio and the XM charger are grounded to two different places, with different potentials, so there is some unwanted current flow. They make a little device to solve this, look for a "ground loop isolator" or "ground isolator", or try to run your XM without the charger connected if that is an option for you.

10. tompauley

tompauley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Aug 31 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]312129[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Beryl. I will look into the "isolator." Yes, I can run the Inno without the charger back and forth to work, but when I make those long trips from Philly to Burlington, NC, I need my XM charging!

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom14 @ Aug 31 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]312141[/snapback]</div>
    And maybe a question for you, if I'm not getting too far off topic... I've added an AUX BOX so I could plug in an MP3 player to my '05, I'm a little curious about how folks like XM vs. Sirius, and how you picked one over the other. Being sort of cheap, I can't quite bring myself to pay for radio yet, but the radio stations here really suck for the most part, except for the college stations which are limited in range for the most part.

12. ndesgirl

ndesgirl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hopeful Future Prius Owner @ Aug 27 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]310299[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '06, and the jack is located as you said, inside the console between the front seats. My daughters have iPods, which they love to plug in while we're driving so that we can all hear their music in the car. In my limited experience, the jack works great!

13. tompauley

tompauley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Aug 31 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]312178[/snapback]</div>

I picked XM for two reasons:

1) The first time I was exposed to it was from my '02 Chevy Cavalier which came with an XM radio already installed, all I needed to do was activate it for a 30 day trial, and I have been hooked ever since. It is SO nice to have, hearing any type of music you want but not hearing the same old stuff from an MP3 all the time over and over.

2) I stayed with XM because I am a big baseball fan, and I can listen to any game I want to on XM.

I am not a Howard Stern fan, but if I was, I am sure it would be difficult to choose between XM and Sirius. We now have 3 XM accounts. Mine, one XM2GO (portable) with my son at college, and one installed in our Saturn VUE. I am sure my wife will want one in her Prius as well as soon as she sees my set-up in my Prius.

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom14 @ Aug 31 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]312297[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tom14 @ Aug 31 2006, 07:25 AM) [snapback]312141[/snapback]</div>
    Clutchfield and Radio Shack both sell them for about $16. I have a portable XM plugged in to my DICE (a 2005 doesn't have the AUX) and it solved the problem.