1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Baiji Yangtze Dolphin is functionally extinct

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Dec 18, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I would have seen this in here by now so I decided to post it up. For more details click the link. I usually get these things from emails from the NRDC.

http://www.baiji.org/start.html

"Wuhan, 13 December 2006 – The Baiji Yangtze Dolphin is with all probability extinct. On Wednesday, in the city of Wuhan in central China, a search expedition, under the direction of the Institute for Hydrobiology Wuhan and the Swiss-based baiji.org Foundation, drew to a finish without any results. During the six-week expedition scientists from six nations desperately searched the Yangtze in vain."

2. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20 views and no response? Nobody loves dolphins anymore.... :(

I blame it all on the WTO and mexico for their dolphin-safe tuna tirades. :rolleyes:

I think I need to go hug a tree and worship some dirt now.

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It sickens me when a species goes extinct. Inevitably, it's the result of human mismangement or infringement. I just didn't reply because I'm no longer surprised by these events. With the recent push to weaken the ESA, I'm readying myself for more sorrow. Pombo's out so maybe things will change on this front.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. Normally I wouldn't have even bothered posting except that this was the first large mammal to go extinct due to anthropogenic factors in half a century or so.

Now we just have to get Dolittle out. :(