1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The best price I can find for a SKS Remote

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by manoosie, Oct 19, 2012.

1. manoosie

manoosie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius with the Smart Key System. I have done plenty of reading on getting an additional SKS remote to work with our car. What a mess. I want a remote that works with SKS, so that means I must purchase a new remote and get a dealer to program it.

I am in Las Vegas. We have four dealers, and I contacted all of them and got quotes. The prices for the silver remote ranged from $203-220, and $60-175 for programming.

203 + 60 = 263 for both the remote and programming. Outrageous, of course, but relative to what I read that price seems ok. Any other alternatives? Thanks.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are sometimes programmable SKS fobs available on eBay. Some automotive oriented locksmiths have the capability to program the car's SKS, which requires a security code from Toyota. You would have to call around.

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably best to bite the bullet and pay the $263, hopefully they will know what they are doing...

4. manoosie

manoosie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you send me a link to such a listing? I cannot find any current or completed listings that say the silver remote is programmable for SKS. Thanks.

5. manoosie

manoosie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. manoosie

manoosie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. djsulli24

djsulli24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently went through this hassle. I purchased a 2009 Prius in November 2012 and it only came with one smart key. I had heard that it was catastrophically expensive to get new keys made/programmed if you lost all of your old ones, so I wanted to get another smart key and have it programmed.

I bought one from iKeyless. ALERT: THE SMART KEYS FROM iKEYLESS ARE USED. They send special instructions along with the key, because it is theoretically possible to re-program a used key, but whether or not you can find a local Toyota dealership that is willing to do it is a GAMBLE, as it is not a Toyota-approved method. My dealership could not program the smart key function. They were able to program the key to work when it was inserted in the ignition, but the fob and smart key functions didn't work.

So, I returned the iKeyless key and ordered a NEW smart key for $150 from a Toyota dealership in Ohio (http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=193&SearchText=prius). It arrived a few days later, and I took it to my Toyota dealership to have it programmed (call around to the dealerships if you have more than one to find the cheapest price; my dealership did it for $56). The key works perfectly, and I was able to get a new, functional smart key and have it programmed for around ($206). Still expensive, but cheaper than the alternatives!

xpcman likes this.
  9. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few knowledgable hybrid shops around the country that can program "used" fobs. We do it in Boulder all the time. Our current price is $75 programming fee or $135 for programming if we supply a good used fob. We also do Lexus/Scion smartkeys and/or immobilizer programming. I know in the Berekely, CA Kensington Service does it too. Many dealers say programming used fobs cannot be done. Those dealers just don't know the procedure, don't have the right equipment, and/or want to sell your their new fob.

10. JimY4

JimY4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you know of any shops in Minnesota that do it?