1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Best Thing About this Election

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While wandering around Costco's book section it occurred to me that I don't have to read any more Bush exposés to keep me up to date with the stuff he has done pre-November 7. All of a sudden it's simpler: he lost, we won and I needn't focus on the past so much. The future is what counts now.

I can get back to reading important stuff: grammar books and my dictionary....

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 13 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]348229[/snapback]</div>
    You look at this too narrowly I do think.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I no longer have to worry about moving out of country.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]348250[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It's still fun to read things that are sadly funny about the President. Don't let the election results stop you.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As long as the losers keep whining, I'll keep gloating.

Come January, though, I just hope they remember why they were elected. If they turn into jellyfish, I won't be happy.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 13 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]348270[/snapback]</div>
    tru dat. Knock yourself out. It is always easier to do it at someone else's expense.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 13 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]348269[/snapback]</div>
    Does that mean if the Dems don't win in 2008 you will? Who was it, some famous celeb promised he would leave the USA if Bush won in 2004 and is still here - Baldwin??

I was looking at Bush as sort of a deterent to prevent people from coming here - problem was he wasn't a big enough deterent - obviously :lol:

And I think we would prefer those who understand our system and not fickle of thought or process. My father served under both Dems and Republicans and never thought anything less important as who or what was President - it was the United States he was serving.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 13 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]348274[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly why I voted against the Repubs - they lost their direction. I am sure the Dems will revert to business as usual - evidence already creeping in - like Murtha being elected to Majority Leader - JEEEEEZ - is he realing going to redeploy to Okinawa :lol:

I do like Pelosi's new plastic surgeon - although I think he stretched it too tight over the mallar arch.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 13 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]348229[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

he "lost"?????

:lol:

Yeah, I suppose he "lost" if in your alternate reality, the Pres. could be re-elected for 3 terms...

YOU LOST, twice.... for REAL too....

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The best thing about this election is that it's over. These things get uglier all the time.

The second best is that some semblance of checks and balances have been restored. No one party should have a rubber stamp to push its agenda. And now that shouldn't happen. Dems can pass all the legislation they want, but W has the veto. W can propose all the initiatives he wants, but Congress can say "no".

Hearing people on the right being all pissy about the results is just gravy. :p

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 13 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]348295[/snapback]</div>
    Being a "righty" I will have to agree with you. NO one party should control all branches of the government. And now the dems can't just flap their lips - their words now have weight and meaning as do their actions and INactions. The best thing for everyone involved is that both parties are now steering the ship.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 13 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]348291[/snapback]</div>
    He personally may have won a couple of times in the past, but there's no getting around it - your team lost big time this go around.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 13 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]348348[/snapback]</div>
    If we looked at this more like Americans who value the workings of our marketplace of ideas and can all come together around the simple fact that ours is a representative Democracy - we would all be better. The same way I am giving the Dems their due rights from this past election, the Republicans should also be given respect for their past victories.

Let us battle idea vs idea - let us also come together to support the victor. The fighting etc has to stop somewhere.

12. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]348283[/snapback]</div>
    The above regret of that great American dbermanmd reminds me that America was pretty good at keeping people out back in the early 1940s. These are the kinds of policies he'd vote for, I bet. What was that group? Oh, yeah....Jews.

1939: In May the Cuban government turned away the Hamburg-America Line’s MS St. Louis, which carried more than 900 hopeful Jewish refugees escaping Nazi Germany. The passengers subsequently sought safe haven in the United States, but were rejected once again, and the St. Louis had to embark on an uncertain return voyage to Europe. Finally, the St. Louis passengers found refuge in four western European countries, but only the 288 passengers sent to England evaded the Nazi grip that closed upon continental Europe a year later. Over the years, the fateful voyage of the St. Louis has come to symbolize U.S. indifference to the plight of European Jewry on the eve of World War II.

1941: Throughout WWII, despite the requests of hundreds of thousands of German Jews to immigrate to America to escape Nazi persecution, the vast majority were denied. The annual German quota was 211,895 spaces, but in no year were these figures met. Prominent refugees such as Albert Einstein and Thomas Mann had little problem entering the US, but less prominent persons had great difficulty and most were denied.

Berman's right: Bush is a slacker and has a lot to learn from Roosevelt. Where's Lindbergh when you need him? ( :lol: )

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]348314[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how the rightwing attitude toward balance of power is so heartfelt only after power has begun shifting.
    Just because the GOP abused their power with no oversight,doesnt mean that the Dems will be abusive after we win the 2008 presidency.You will still control the courts anyway so it wont be a Democrat total control. In my opinion, the Dems have more integrity than neocons.Whose Neocon philosophy is "by any means necessary"including disregarding the Constitution.

Presently ,the GOP still has the upper hand with out the congressional ability to override a presidential veto.Its a good thing that Bush ,is philosophically opposed to "obstructionists".

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 13 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]348384[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever. When the Republicans win the next election cycle after the Dems shoot themselves in the feet - they should just go for it, right?

And it is not me - nor you - it is us. But, whatever....

15. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]348363[/snapback]</div>
    Since when have you valued anyone else's ideas? Since the voting public rejected the Neo-cons? You've been one of the most overtly biased, blinders-on, Republican lemmings I've seen on this board (okay, you and Wildkow). You've been the least likely to exchange ideas, and now you're suddenly wanting to let bygones be bygones. You already showed your colors, so while it's clear that you're a educated person, your credibility is already damaged.

America is hardly a representative democracy. Democrats and Republicans alike are basically of the same cloth. The only difference is that Democrats have more of a tendency to at least make us believe that they value people, while Republicans are usually only concerned with "ME".

And it's not healthy to just "support the victor"...that's how the war in Iraq happened to begin with. There must always be a healthy, vocal opposition to the powers that be.

Vince

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 13 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]348406[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Vince, are your from Berkely?

17. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]348409[/snapback]</div>
    That's hilarious! I've NEVER heard someone try to use the fact that I'm from BerkelEy against me :rolleyes: ...congrats on the cleverly original material.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm a true Independent. Among the reasons why Democrats would hate me:

- Against gay marriage (though not civil unions)
    - Pro-gun (but with a very few restrictions)
    - Against illegal immigration
    - For a strong military (but not the tax and spend military that the Republicans love)
    - In favor of capital punishment

Nice try, though.

Vince

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Nov 13 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]348420[/snapback]</div>
    Lets see - we agree on everything?? Is that possible? I even voted Dem this go round!!

I would add that I am not for a tax and spend government in any way shape or form. I am even against seat belt laws - holding that people should be responsible for their own actions...

Could you be my first BerkelEy friend??

19. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 13 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]348425[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt if you want me as your friend, because I'm no fan of Republicans, either. Here's a message that I posted recently on another message board to explain why I'm an Independent:

I'm a true Independent, and I can tell you why I think both parties stink. They're both full of hypocritical ideas and have been taken over by extremists.

Here's what I believe in. You tell me which of the two major parties you think I'm supposed to belong to:

1. Government must exist to regulate/control the natural human tendencies to be selfish and exploitive. By that very necessity, it must also tax people so that it can maintain operations.

2. Welfare should only be a last resort for someone who is down on their luck...NOT a lifestyle for lazy people.

3. Illegal immigrants must be kicked out of the country and a wall built (and the military patrolling it) so they can't get back in without following the immigration rules that we have. Make no mistake...12 million illegal immigrants ARE an invasion.

4. Healthcare should be free.

5. The larger a company gets, the more it should have to be regulated to keep it from becoming a monopoly. By contrast, small mom and pop businesses should be almost completely unregulated and have the least tax burden.

6. People should be allowed to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't directly affect other people. This covers a LOT of stuff, though, so it's wide ranging. But one example is that there should be no helmet or seatbelt laws for adults. Similarly, airbags shouldn't be a requirement in cars...just an added safety feature. Also, if an adult wants to smoke pot, then go for it, but don't have an adverse affect on anyone else while doing so.

7. Abortion should be legal, but should only be used during the first 2 trimesters and only afterwards if the mother is in danger. It shouldn't be a form of contraceptive...that's just stupid.

8. There should be a strict separation of church and state. Period.

9. The military should be strong, but it should be primarily a grassroots military: Every person of a certain age (probably 18) should be required to join for a period of one or two years. That would ensure not only a strong army in times of peril, but strong people in times of peace (it's flat out amazing to me how physically weak and weak willed Americans have become, especially for a group of people that thinks so much of itself).

10. Law abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, but I would regulate it so that certain people (say, violent felons) are either disallowed or extremely restricted.

11. I believe in capital punishment. And not this namby-pamby "lethal-injection" crap. I'm talking about "eye-for-an-eye" punishment.

So, where would you put me. Democrat? Nope, doesn't sound like one. Republican? No, not quite.

That's why I'm an Independent.

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

With all due respect, it is well known that a VinceDee party does not exist. Or an EricGo one. Or even a Wildkow one.

We all pick based on the party that /best/ matches our priorities at the time. E.g., I never voted Dems until the shrub invaded Iraq, eroded the balance of powers, pursued the neoCon and religious right's agenda -- all in one foul breath.

I'm ok with capital punishment too, but it is #200 on my list, and I don't even care what each party has to say about it.