1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Big Picture for the next 12 months-Toyota & Dealers

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by philinny, Apr 27, 2004.

1. philinny

philinny Junior Member

Okay, as a relative newbie poster, and not yet a Prius owner, I'd like to open up a new discussion for all the veterans on this board -- especially the pros like Dianne.

What do you think will happen in the next 6-12 moths regarding availability and pricing.

Will "Market Adjustments" become the norm, or will they disappear as Toyota increases production. And will Toyota be able increase production and erase some of the backlog?

The arrival of other Hybrids (Escape, Lexus RX, Highlander) in the next 12 months will certainly draw some buyers from the Prius, but none are a head-to-head match. Will they make much difference? In other words, how long until we see a normalizing of supply/demand, and cars available at MSRP with a reasonable wait (say, 1-3 months.)

2. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were talking to the dealer we got our pruis from... She said that as far as she knew, Toyota is not planning on drastically raising the price on the Prius, but that the new highlander hybrid will probably be a few thousand more than the nonhybrid. Also, they are not taking orders for the highlander (yet).

:angel:

3. philinny

philinny Junior Member

Just to clarify -- the "Market Adjustment" I was referring to is the markup many dealers are adding. In Southern California my car broker is routinely hearing of $3000 over MSRP. In Washington State, I talked to the dealer at Town Toyota --

(see this thread: http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1825 )

he's getting $1700 over MSRP, but only has a 2-3 month wait if you are flexible on color/package.

Are these markups here to stay on the Prius?

Phil

4. ardnhe

ardnhe New Member

At Toyota Mall of Georgia, their markup is $5000. However, when a Prius is scheduled to come in, they call everyone on the "list", two days in advance. First one to show up day of delivery with cash in hand gets the car.

5. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the Prius is in high demand and urban/metro dealers are taking advantage with "market adjustment prices". However, there are cars available in rural areas if youre willing to fly & buy, so to speak. I found mine in less than one day and since then have been advised of atleast 4 others all at MSRP.
    Email dealers in rural states (ND,SD,MT,WY,NE,WV, ETC.) or in less populated areas of larger states (downstate IL for example).
    One must be alittle proactive so to speak.

6. cybele

cybele New Member

Market adjustments will continue if people pay them. If folks just go down the road to the other dealer that doesn't charge a markup, the dealers that do will find that it's better for business if they don't.

I think that they will continue, because people are paying them. And the fact that gas prices keep going up will not help that, because many people rationalize that the extra spent on the premium of owning the car will balance out with fuel savings.

Eventually it will settle out, as there are more choices on the market and most of us eager/early folks get our cars.

7. philinny

philinny Junior Member

Bill, I agree completely, and actually find this encouraging! (Here in So Cal you quickly hit a brick wall of derisive laughter when you try to get on a list.)

So...did you find better luck with e-mail vs. phoning? perhaps we should start a "Rural search" thread with names of possible dealers and resources to find them. Or is it all on Toyota's website?

Phil

8. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the Toyota site; find a dealer option and sent emails to dealers in 26 states. I spent 8 hours and highlighted, copied and dragged until my fingers almost bled. Think rural, which means lower demand, and snow, the UP of MI for example. Most rural dealers, Garvin Motors in Powell, WY for example, have been contacted on and off in the past. But if your serious you will be able to find a car in 1-2 wks. Then just fly & buy. I used frequent flier miles and the folks at Garvin met me at the airport and drove me 90 miles to their dealership. You can do it!

9. philinny

philinny Junior Member

Rural search update -- this still seems to work! With the help of Priuschat data and specifically Ray Moore, who sent me some of his Colorado/Wyoming suggestions, I used teh Toyota website dealer search and called and e-mailed for only about 2 hours yesterday.

Holloway Toyota in Sterling, CO gets an allocation of about 1 car a month. Their June car was sold already, so I became their July customer. A MSRP deal!

I requested my first choice --- #9/Tideland and indicated I'm flexible on colors -- they asked for a $500 deposit. Done.

I will let you all know how this goes, but looks good at this point!
    If anyone wants to be their August customer, ask for Steve Hyiak -- a very nice guy to talk to.

Phil
    :p

PS Hellman Toyota in Delta, CO also e-mailed back that they are looking at about a 2-month wait, and usually get #7's -- if anyone wants to contact them, ask for Matt Hellman.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i had about the same experience at advantage toyota in barboursville WV. small allocation but short list, also expect mine in july