1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Brain behind Netflix-60 Minutes segment

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hb06, Dec 26, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The founder of Netflix, Reed Hastings, said the last straw for him was he had rented a VHS and had a 6-week late fee. In my case, I used to go to the nearest small Video Rental store across the street. I wanted to see a fairly recent movie on DVD. The owner said she had one but "sold" it.

Text & video from the December 3rd, 60 Minutes Special, "The Brain behind Netflix".

"The way Americans watch movies has changed dramatically in the last few years because of the man who thought up, and started up a company called Netflix. Now more and more of us rent movies by mail."

"I ran down to Tower and bought a bunch and mailed them to myself and then I waited," Hastings recalls."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/01/...in2222059.shtml

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone who develops software should know Reed Hastings as the creator of Purify and founder of Pure Software.

3. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Dec 26 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]366892[/snapback]</div>
    I have subscribed to Netflix for over 3 years and am very happy with the service I get. Sometimes I put my acct. on hold for a month or 2 as they don't always have enough new stuff that hits my fancy. Most definately a fine company and well run.

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Dec 29 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]368359[/snapback]</div>
    I like the easy interface and especially the recommendations. I have seen how other media on the internet have copied the model, such as an audio bookstore with almost the same interface, which has audio books mailed and returned. I have enjoyed movies with Netflix that I never would have known about had they not been pushed to me. The Gomez rating service rates the Netflix service only slightly 2nd to Amazon in satisfaction.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Where I live we have no home postal delivery, so mail means having to go to the PO which I only do about once every 7-10 days. ( and have to pay $100/year for my extra large mailbox). I wish Netflix had a method of delivery using UPS home delivery for us country folk. I'm sure they could expand even more, as me and my neighbors would surely use their service.

6. asills

asills Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Dec 29 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]368359[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I just went into my Netflix account and saw I've been a member since October 2002. Damn.

The primary reason I subscribed was every time I rented from Blockbuster I would keep it and extra week or so. It would either sit in my car or on my table. For some reason I just can't remember to take them back. It was costing me an extra $5 or $6 every rental so I figured I'd just try out Netflix and haven't looked back yet.

I actually liked Netflix so much, I tried out Gamefly too (a video game rental service). Their delivery isn't as quick as Netflix, but it's still just as good (provided you aren't a continual game replayer).

7. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 30 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]368615[/snapback]</div>
    This is a matter of the cost structure between USPostalService and UPS for "small" packages. Just the other day I wanted to mail a small package UPS from our MailBox Center. They told me not to do this as UPS charges $8 for small packages (less for large packages $6+), and that the Priority Mail would only be $4. Although it would have been even cheaper with USParcelPost, it would have taken longer, so I opted for Priority Mail. I also noticed that mail order companies are also using USPS vs UPS to mail smaller items. It would be too expensive for Netflix to use UPS for DVD mailings.

8. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Convenience was another big factor on why I finally went to Netflix. It's not so much going to the video store, but having to return it the very next day or be charged a late fee.

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Dec 30 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]368648[/snapback]</div>
    HBO6, I take it you subscribe to HBO. I have it also. Do you have any idea when Big Love will be back on the air for season 2? I e mailed HBO, but they rarely answer. I have Dish Network and love HBO.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have been a member since feb 2003. and when my movie list got thin, i was turned on to TV shows by my SO. i found that tv without commercials was actually enjoyable!!

since then, when we get low on movies, we pick a tv series that has been moved to DVD.

the sopranos
    6 feet under
    curb your enthusiasm
    lost
    ER

for someone who swore off most tv, i've actually found a way to watch it. seeing a whole season in a week makes the watching WAAAY better than Tivo.

11. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Dec 30 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]368718[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I think Aileen's HBO6 is Huntington Beach Owner 6 not the TV channel...

12. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info.