1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The CAN-View just became more valuable! It can now monitor OEM battery voltage pairs!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TheForce, Dec 29, 2008.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Norm has updated the CAN-View to allow monitoring of the OEM battery voltage pairs! This can be valuable to diagnose battery issues or to just keep tabs on what the stock battery is up to. From what he says on his site you can set up this screen to give you a warning if the voltages are out of range.

I have checked the serial output and it does not look like Norm is sending out this data in the RAW output. I have sent him an email about it to see if maybe we can log this information in the RAW serial output. It would be nice to graph these values out on a normal commute to see what they do.

Looks like the update is only available for the V3+, V4 and V4+ right now.

For more information on this screen visit Graphics functions

For more information about the CAN-View visit CAN-view index

This is not my screen. This was taken from Norm's site.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oooh! Very nice! Time to bring my CAN-view in for an upgrade! Thanks for the updates, Norm!

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Where can I buy the Can-view?

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pretty cool! Do you know right off if he's offering an upgrade with this for the non-PHEV versions?

Follow the links Jay provided. But it's available now only for Prius with a plug-in modification.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like the update is only available for the V3+, V4 and V4+ right now. Since the older versions are all ready jammed packed with the current information I doubt it will be available for the older versions.

6. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a V4 (non PHEV) ... one of the last built. What hardware would I need to upgrade the software in the device?

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Darn, you're right. I've got a V2, so it looks like I won't be getting this.

From hybridinterfaces.ca:

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have an original v4 but I have been updating with the v4+ codes to get a few more packets in the RAW serial output.

I think you can just update the CAN code on your v4 but I'm not sure if you would need to update the USB and video code or not.

Norm said that I have the last program adapter for the original v4 so if you need to update the USB and video codes you will need to see if norm can make you an adapter or maybe we can work something out along the lines of sending me your CAN-View and I can update it for you or something.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    With the NHW11 (earlier battery) a typical max - min voltage difference would be 0.15 volts. When the pack had a cold (sub-freezing) start it could be 0.25 volts or so. It will be interesting to see what values are typically seen with the NHW20.

This is also to say that the values in the initial screenshot surprised me a bit. It may be true that one wants the max or min module to not always be the same, in other words jumping around. I'm not sure that's so unless the lowest one is always the same and relateively quite low. That might point you towards a module containing weaker cells.

10. pwrup

pwrup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is great! I have been trying to figure out how to access the traction battery cell voltage pairs and now it looks like my CanView 4+ will do that with the new update. I also would like to have the raw data sent out the serial port. I currently have the CanView connected to a laptop recording my daily trips and logging it into a spreadsheet. This will also help in my PHEV conversion using Prius NiMH packs.

- pwrup