1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The cap to the engine coolant reservoir popped off {Prius 2009}

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LunaKing, Feb 28, 2016.

1. LunaKing

LunaKing New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    While driving last night the high coolant temperature warning light came on. This morning I see the cap was off and a hose leading to the radiator had popped off. Coolant level low (I can't even see how low). I'd like to add coolant and get to the dealer, but any idea why these things happened? Safe to drive ~10 miles after I add coolant?

Thank you!!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you add water (don't worry about coolant when you have an emergency) look for a coolant leak. If you don't see this and if the engine temp warning does not appear then you can drive the car. If you see a temp warning you must immediately stop.

3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    if it built up that much heat and pressure I doubt the fan is working, hope you didn't blow the head gasket, it doesn't take much to destroy a motor

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably lost the fan belt. Its only job is to turn the water pump. The engine coolant overheated so bad & created so much steam it blew the cap and hoses off. Don't be surprised if you blew the head gasket.