1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The capacity of this car never ceases to impress me!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Oct 5, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

So I spent a few days past week moving out of my college-life style apartment into a nicer apartment about 8 miles away. I figured I'd do it the cheap way and use our cars to do the move (we got rid of a buncha crap anyway). I fit my twin size bed set (matress, and the box spring) and my full size futon mattress in one trip. Oh yeah, I had extra room to stuff some boxes in the front passenger seat too.

The trunk closed completely. I had plenty of leg room while driving.. okay.. if my fiance drove the car (he's 6'3") he would've been cramped, but it was okay for me. I used the back up camera to pull out of the parking garage, and drove smoothly on the freeway (slowly and safely of course like a good prius driver). My new place has its HOV off ramp from the freeway, so I didn't need to change lanes too often either.

How's this for an idea? Next time you go on a roadtrip, bring your bed with you for ultimate comfort :p

Oh.. sorry for the crappy image... but you get the idea. That was taken with my cell phone camera. :p

Attached Files:

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Oct 5 2006, 10:41 PM) [snapback]328778[/snapback]</div>
    Nice! I did something similar once with a VW beetle, but it involved rope, stupidity, and hanging on with one hand out the window. Mattresses are surprisingly aerodynamic once you hit about 45...

I'm surprised, I wouldn't have thought the hatch would have shut.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Love the picture. Last year I got some new "video" equipment, it OK my wife said it was OK until we got it home then it was too big. It looked smaller in the store! At any rate I said I would take it home. They said no way it is going in that car. I looked and said, WAY! It did! Bucks football never looked so good!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very well done!

That beats my measly 1x8 boards.

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No foolin'. I was all concerned because I had to drive an hour away from my house to pick up and Oak Tree and 12 5-gallon shrubs. Every single item fit in the car with the hatch fully closed! The Oak tree (I haven't measured for complete accuracy) stands at least 12 inches over me and I'm 5'8! Mind you, it was very difficult to see out of the windows but everything is now safely at my house.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I bought a rather large birdcage and the store was like do you own a truck or have a friend that does you will never get this home in that. Well I got the cage in, and took it home much to the surprise of the staff. I did need to use some twine to hold the hatch down because it was just big enough to keep the hatch from closing just by an inch.

7. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 5 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]328781[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I learned the hard way years ago that pingpong tables are similarly aerodynamic about that speed as well...

8. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I'm sure I would've accumulated a long list of "why I am an idiot" lessons had I not had this car for the move. Of course, a friend of mine asked me she can loan my car to move her queen sized bed, inspired by my moving story.

Of course, I didn't even attempt it.

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What a coincidence, I did the same thing about a week ago. I think my friends and I are still impressed at the hatchback benefits.

In the past i've fit:
    1) one twin bed + undermatress
    2) tons of medium sized boxes
    3) a 42" LCD screen
    4) luggage for 4 people (4 rollers plus a few carry ons)
    5) my mtn. bike (without removing the wheels)

10. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 11 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]331226[/snapback]</div>
    WE recently had some carpet installed, and they left the remnant for me to use whenever needed. Full length roll of carpet - probably 12 foot long. Hubby was going to use the truck and take it to storage. Got tired of waiting for him to get it done so: leaned back front passenger seat, folded down back seats, and that big, long baby just slid right in there. Hubby came home and asked, "How did you move the carpet??" Stupid question. I DO own a Prius!!

11. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Oct 11 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]331429[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, 12ft roll... diagonally? did the hatch close?

12. jmccord

jmccord New Member