1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Car Sat for a Week and the Battery Died *sigh*

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LisaMarli, Aug 31, 2006.

1. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yep, it finally happened. We went to WorldCon (the World Science Fiction Convention) in Anaheim Ca a week ago. Parked the car in the Car Park (yes, they call it that!) and forgot to turn off the SKS.
    Came back at the end of the week and the car would not start. Heck, the door wouldn't even open. :wacko:
    *sigh* You think I would know better. I've owned the car for a year and a half, had a car sitter to keep it happy when we were gone for two months last summer. But No-oh, I forgot all the Rules of Keeping the Prius Happy, and the car let me know about it.
    So, we got the key out (remember that metal thing hiding in the key fob?), and opened the door. Popped the hood; struggled to get the cover off the Fuse Box (I know they say the jump start lug is in here somewhere!) (besides we can't get easily into the trunk (see doors won't unlock because the battery is dead)). Then basically held the charge clamps because they wouldn't stay on. Put the fob into the slot; pressed the button and prayed.
    At first most of the dash lights came on, but not the Ready Light. Then on a second pushing the Ready Light came on.
    The scariest thing? The car didn't rev up or do anything a normal car does when you finally get it jump started. It just sat there with it's normal "I'm ready to go" lights on. Finally, the engine started and began sending charge to the battery.
    I remember reading that the small 12v battery actually gets its charging from the big engine battery and that it is no problem for the Big Battery to recharge the little one from just what it carries around to run the electric motor. So I didn't panic, it was just very weird and quiet for a jump start. :rolleyes:
    We backed up the car and moved it to where we had the luggage stacked for car loading and left the car on while we loaded the car. It would do its normal engine start and stop while sitting for long periods, and I noticed that the Big Battery was lower than I would normally expect after sitting while the car is on, but it was otherwise fine.
    We stopped the car to fill up with gas about 20 minutes later. Turned off the car. It restarted without a hitch. And the car has been running fine ever since.

The moral of the Story -

If you are going to have the car sit for more than a few days,
    Turn off the SKS!

You have been warned.
    Lisa

2. marjam

marjam Member

I love happy endings! Glad it all worked out and that the battery was easy to recharge.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The car should be able to have the SKS on for a week without any problems. I have left mind for 3 weeks without any problems.

4. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Aug 31 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]312531[/snapback]</div>
    You've been lucky. Some people have reported problems in the past. So I wasn't surprised, just annoyed.
    Remember, this was a full parking lot with lots of cars that use key fobs of various sorts (science fiction fans love driving Geek Cars). I'm sure the SKS was busy interegating all of them while it sat there waiting for its partner.
    This is why Turning Off the SKS is always a smart idea if the car will be parked for a longish period. You never know how the neighbors will set your car to running down the 12v battery.
    YMMV

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LisaMarli @ Aug 31 2006, 08:22 PM) [snapback]312560[/snapback]</div>
    I have also left my car for a couple of weeks with absolutely no problem (and the SKS enabled - infact I left it on last time purposefully to see what would happen). Perhaps you need a new 12v battery?

Dave

6. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

How do you turn it off? Thanks.

7. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Etel Rose @ Sep 1 2006, 01:13 AM) [snapback]312600[/snapback]</div>
    There is a button unter the steering column (where it meets the dash) to turn off the SKS. If you have the tire pressure monitor there will be two buttons so get the correct one!

8. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

OK, so here is an interesting question - why does the car need to have the small 12V battery anyway? I was just thinking this yesterday as I changed the 12V battery in one of my '02 Prius. I know the previous owner had it die a few times, and lately the dash would dim and the mdf would blank out if left on for more than a minute or so without the car in ready mode. But my point is why is this battery needed, why can't the big HV battery be used to boot the car. It is never drained down below 40% or so, so it seems redundant to have this little battery that runs down anyway - plus we are lugging around extra weight carrying the 12V battery.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's actually rather logical to have. Even when the car is turned off, there is a small current being drawn from the battery (as evidenced by all the "My battery died" threads). If this was coming from the HV battery, it could, potentially, completely drain that battery without the computers being aware (since they aren't booted up). Additionally, when in ACC mode, the computers aren't all booted up (since they draw a lot more power than the radio), so they can't monitor the state of the HV battery (try it yourself - hit the power button once without hitting the gas, you'll see on the neregy screen that the battery is blank).

So in order to preserve the battery and ensure longer life (so you don't have to pay thousands to replace it), they disconnect it from the system when the computers can't monitor it and protect it, preventing any additional battery drain. of course, this isn't perfect, which is why they recommend having someone drive it once in a while if you're going to be away for months at a time.

So think of it this way: You could connect the HV battery and, due to mistakes like the one that start this thread and all the others, have to replace it after it dies every 5 years (spending thousands), or you could lug around this small extra battery and only have to spend a hundred bucks for a replacement when you make a mistake.

The real question should be: why can't we have a normal car battery? multiple models to choose from when replacing it = most likely cheaper, higher capacity = less likely to die if left for a week or two with SKS on.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Sep 1 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]312707[/snapback]</div>
    As you point out it could certainly be designed to work without the 12V battery. The reason there is a 12V battery is so the HV battery can be completely disconnected when you turn the car off. Then with the little battery you can still have SKS, lights, accessories etc. and it provides power to operate the HV battery relay when you turn the car on. If it weren't that way you might be in the position of having to find a way to charge the HV battery if you left something on. The extra weight of the small 12V battery is irrelevant.

11. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Aug 31 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]312593[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, the OP probably has a 12v battery that's on it's way out. I've left my car w/SKS on for more than 2 weeks once, and at least 3 different times for more than 1 week.

Jeff

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read somewhere on PC that the Ford Explorer Hybrid has a switch that allows you to charge the 12V from the HV battery if needed. Now that would be a neat idea.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Sep 1 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]312707[/snapback]</div>
    I tend to think of it like the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Very limited use but important for starting up.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Sep 1 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]312770[/snapback]</div>
    Definately a neat idea... i would be worried about implementation, though. How do you ensure that the user flips the switch back to the off position? Even if it's a momentary switch (ie goes back to off when you remove your finger), how do you ensure that a box or something didn't shift and is holding the switch open? Once again, it all comes down to a question of being able to preserve the life of the HV battery, and i'm not sure i see a way that they could safely implement something like that. I could definately see some idiot rigging something up to hold the switch open to "keep his battery charged" the entire time he's away on a business trip, or a family vacation for a month or something, and then Toyota having to foot the bill to replace the battery when it's dead (because, after all, it's still under warrenty, and without the computers turned on, they have no way of knowing the switch was up).

15. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eagle33199, good points. Maybe we should head over to the Ford hybrid forum and ask them. Maybe there's a warning about the switch in the user's manual?

16. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That charging switch does sound like a good thing.

17. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There should be a relay that trips when the 12V battery is low, that syphons some power from the HV battery until the 12V is OK again.

Life-support for another battery should drain the HV slower than moving the whole car around... :D

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Sep 1 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]312817[/snapback]</div>
    There could even be a safety feature where the HV battery won't try to charge the small battery it HV battery charge level is too low.

19. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 1 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]312825[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, you realize that adding these sensors and controls would only cause the 12V battery to depeat faster due to the increased current required to power the devices... IMO, the best solution is to just get a normal sized car battery in there, then the only complaints would be in situations where a normal gas guzzling car would die too.

20. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Well, if memory serves, the Prius Does charge the 12v from the HV once the car is On (ie Ready mode). The computer takes care of it all.
    And the 12v is the equivelent of the CMOS battery on the computer. It keeps the bits of car computer alive when the car is turned off. Better to run down a small 12v battery than the Big Engine beast.
    Also when the battery does eventually die, it is a standard motorcycle size, so replacements aren't impossible to come by. Yes, I wish they had put a standard Car Size battery, even a smaller one, but in Japan motorcycle batteries are very common, so the choice makes sense.
    And some people have had better luck with parking the car with the SKS on than others. Which is why there are so many varied responses to what happened to me.
    Which kind of battery do you have? One that will run out after a week or three weeks or may be longer? Only time will tell. Do you want to go looking for a charge? We were lucky, in that we were at a hotel car park and security had a charger. We also have AAA. Red is also an 05 (so I have roadside assistance).
    It should be noted that I'm pretty sure being in a Car Park where there were lots of cars with remotes (and probably Priuses, though I didn't count), probably caused the SKS to do more inquiries (Are you my Fob?) than one would have either at home or at the standard Airport Parking lot. Probably didn't help the battery.
    This belongs in the YMMV, but why take the chances?