1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Chevy Volt - Addressing Your Concerns

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jonathanrohr, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

Hello hybrid drivers and Toyota fans. My name is Jonathan Rohr and I am coming to you from the GMinsidenews forum, where I spend 99% of my car related internet time. It has become quite big news over there to have so many of you Toyota guys and girls discussing a possible GM vehicle in such a positive light. However, in the thread "Heard From an Inside Source: Chevy Volt is Real" a lot of people brought up concerns about GM's quality and environmental attitude.

On the subject of environmental attitude, I saw the documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?" and was devastatingly disappointed and embarrassed at what GM did. Although, it is necessary to note that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all did the same thing, and it was only Ford that kept their EV's, albeit giving them to people in Scandinavia.

But, to be fair, I must note that shortly after the demise of EV's Toyota and Honda brought wonderful Hybrid cars to the American market, while GM just converted its EV factory to make the new SSR (a V8 Sports Truck). However, since I have been fair to Toyota and Honda, I must also note that GM meets or exceeds their MPG ratings in a vehicle-vehicle comparison in every segment except, unfortunately, those where MPG is the most important purchase factor, the sub-compact and compacts (please see for yourself using the compare tools on MSN or Edmunds, make sure to match manual w/ manual or auto w/ auto). You could make the claim that having the best gas mileage of a full size SUV is like being the fastest marathon runner over 300lbs (i.e. doesn’t mean much), and you would be right, but it is at least worth SOMETHING.

On the quality side, GM has been doing very well. Please follow this link to the JD Power Long Term Vehicle Dependability Study: http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele....asp?ID=2005089. Note that Toyota and Honda did very well. Of course, they make great cars. But several American brands, including Buick, Caddy, Lincoln and Mercury placed above them, we also make great cars ;-). Please also note that Chevrolet and Ford are not far behind Toyota and Honda, but remain light-years ahead of lesser Japanese brands like Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Another thing to think about is the interpretation of these numbers. If you do the math, a Chevy will have 1.2 problems for every problem a Toyota has. To help us relate to this better, you could look at it through this analogy: If two students took a 100 question math test, and student A got a 99% and student B got a 98%, it would be correct to say that student B missed twice as many questions as student A. However, it would not be correct to say that student A is twice as good at math as student B. The same is true when comparing car quality, all car companies have improved so much that we are dealing with the tip-top of perfect here.

The fact that the companies are approaching a limit of being 'tip-top perfect' is evident by the vast improvement in quality in the last six years alone. Compare the 2005 chart to the 2000 chart here: http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele...ase.asp?ID=2074. Please note that the best vehicle you could buy then was a Lexus. I don’t remember too many people complaining about their Lexus's (Lexii?) in 2000, but look at who matches them in 2005, Chevy and Ford. Please also note that a Toyota from the year 2000 would find itself ranking behind such brands as Nissan and Mitsubishi, and on par with low-end companies such as Suzuki, Isuzu, and Daewoo.

One last thing, look at how the average has increased, it is almost cut in half. In five years, vehicles have become TWICE as dependable. Think of what the next 5 years could hold, especially with GM fighting to retain the number one spot!

As far as the Volt being off to a bumpy start its first few years, it’s certainly a possibility. With a lot of new technology comes a lot of new bugs to work out. However, the Prius was not free of this either, see recall news here: http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6358658.html. Also, remember that with the Volt, any glitches or growing pains will be fixed free of charge for the first 100,000 miles!

Looking back, my post has been somewhat long-winded and I hope I was able to write it well enough to where it can be easily understood. I look forward to the days of the Volt competing alongside the outstanding Prius, and hopefully some solid plug-ins from Honda and Ford. I just hope that when comparing, everyone here takes a time to look at the data and makes the choice based on solid facts, not popular (mis)conceptions. And as a result, I really hope you chose the Volt ;-).

Thank you for reading my post. I would be happy to answer any questions or concerns about GM if you have them, but please keep in mind I am nothing more than a GM fan, I don’t work for them or any automaker.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Rohr
    University Of Central Florida - PreMed
    1988 Ford Taurus - 346,000 (water pump replaced at 180k and power steering pump at 260k)
    2000 Pontiac Firebird - 135,000 (problem free since purchased at 98k)

P.S. Since this is an eco-minded internet group, I would like to mention that my Firebird is a V6, and thanks to synthetic oil, an MSD ingnition upgrade, and a moderate right foot, I get 26MPG in the city and 32 MPG on the highway.

2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Is the Volt going to come out as a production vehicle?

PS
    Make sure you're 100% about going med!!!!!!!!!!! It's tough! I don't have regrets, but there are days where I'm just dragging.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and welcome to PriusChat!

Thank you for your insightful comment. As you've probably discovered, there are a lot of fans of "alternative choices." I've seen quite a number of folks here who would willingly give up their Prius if a better solution was offered regardless of company. The criteria was it had to be better (mpg, reliability, interior quality etc etc).

I'd like to second Mirza's question. Is the Volt really something GM is considering as a viable production vehicle?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also wish to welcome you and thank you for your input. You made a few points in your post that I take issue with, but I don't see the point of derailing a thread to discuss them since it appears we agree on the 'meat' of the post.

I think a lot of us would love to see the Volt come to fruition. But we're all pretty skeptical in light of the EV1 fiasco and GM's history. I'd say it's a balance of optimism and pessimism. As I see it this is a big opportunity for GM. If they put this car into production, actually SELL it to customers for a reasonable price and if it actually preforms up to the standards that they claim it will that it could, literally, save the company in the eyes of the US public.

Should they pull anything even resembling what they did with the EV1, should it not hold up, should it not come close to the performance specs they've mentioned or should it just never happen in a timely fashion I think this company could find itself in a very very deep hole of mistrust and dissatisfaction.

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Seeing as you are knowledgeable about GM, perhaps you can answer this curious question I've had for a while.

You said "I must also note that GM meets or exceeds their MPG ratings in a vehicle-vehicle comparison in every segment."

A quick glance at fueleconomy.gov and going to any of the GM brands show that this is generally the case... however, fuel economy isn't the end all... what about emissions? Why has it taken GM so long to get on board with stricter standards such as ULEV II and SULEV II?

A look at fueleconomy.gov show that many of the cars that GM sells only come in LEV II and are gradually transitioning to ULEVs and SULEVs for the california and northeast states, while GM's competitors have been selling at least ULEVs across their entire product lines for years.

Why is GM still selling so many cars that only meet LEV II standards?

Among the of the other car manufacturers that have shipped hybrid cars and SUVs, Toyota, Honda and Ford : every single one of their hybrid vehicles selling today meet SULEV II standards. Each one has at least one vehicle that meets the more stringent AT-PZEV standards to top it off!

GM has two shipping hybrid vehicles, the Silverado and their newest entry out this year, the Saturn Vue Green Line. Both of them are only LEV II!

Among us observers who own hybrid cars by GM's competitors, this makes GM look like they are behind in hybrid technology, and their commitment to reducing emissions is questionable.

I know that GM has more stuff on the horizon... the Volt, clearly is a good thing, and will likely achieve ZEV or AT-PZEV status easily, but what about GM's other investment in the hybrid arena, the 2008 Tahoe two mode hybrid? Will that be able to meet SULEV II at the very least?

There's been a lot of attention given to reducing fuel consumption, especially with the price of gas being so erratic, but we must not forget that emissions isn't to be glossed over.

6. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife and I attended the Washington Auto Show last month, and entering the upper level showroom, the very first car we saw - after making our way through the crowd - was the Chevy Volt. We were blown away with the design - it looks very, very sharp. And when we read the estimates for fuel consumption, well, all I can say is, bring it on! :)

I want to echo LaughingMan's concern about emissions. While I am very happy with the fuel economy of my Prius, I am at least as happy with the low emissions. I hope this is something that GM can address in a positive way, because the Volt could be a car I could get excited about.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, is the Volt going to be real? Give us that GM inside news if you have it.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Feb 10 2007, 03:24 AM) [snapback]387974[/snapback]</div>
    Vue-Hybrid is a GreenLine model, yet it isn't actually green. See... Vue-Hybrid detail ...which can be found at... http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

That LEV emission rating (aka: Tier 2 Bin 5) is what has some of us very concerned about their environmental attitude. It isn't a step forward at all. In fact, it's worse than average for non-hybrid consumer vehicles.

9. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Feb 10 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]388009[/snapback]</div>
    I just looked at the same link. The Vue appears to be no worse than the Highlander. (Actually it appears to be a bit better.)

Comparing the Vue to the Prius is a bit much. The Vue should be compared to the Highlander or the Escape as they are all SUV/CUV's.

What will be interesting is to compare the Aura to the Camry to the Accord to the Altima hybrids when all four are available simultaneously. (Hopefully Ford/Mazda will introduce a Fusion/Mazda6 hybrid as well.)

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allargon @ Feb 10 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]388178[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure what numbers you were looking at, but comparing the 4WD Highlander Hybrid to the Saturn Vue Hybrid I found...
    1)Both have equal CO2 at 6.4 tons/year
    2)HiHy got a better Air Pollution Score (8 for HiHy, 6 for Vue)
    3)HiHy is a 7 seat full size SUV w/ a 3.3liter V6, Vue is a smaller SUV w/ 2.4L 4 cylinder.
    4)Essentially the same FE.

I didn't see anything that would warrant saying that the Vue is 'better'.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 10 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]388285[/snapback]</div>
    You left out the difference in power and acceleration where the Highlander far outperforms the Vue.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saturn Vue Hybrid / Highlander Hybrid.

4 cylinders / 6 cylinders

0-60 : 10.8 sec / 7.3 sec

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Feb 10 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]387738[/snapback]</div>

You do realize that GM has done 0% work on Volt right? It is just an shell. They did NOTHING so far.
    Just last month they hired 2 battery related companies to make feasibility study on how would something like Volt work. You can read interview from those two companies which basically says something like " we are not sure about anything yet, we are just looking how would it work right now".

Thats right, Volt is just PR on paper, and what is worse, best GM can do is what GM can do the best - outsource R&D, making sure car will never appear.

So lets get the facts straights before we start posting some "real" crap about GM.
    GM has been posting PR's for decades now on their Hybrids coming out in "next 2 years" and best they can do right now is 12v mild hybrid, which shouldnt be even called hybrid.

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spwolf @ Feb 10 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]388302[/snapback]</div>
    Darn. I was hoping the OP was someone with some serious info, and not just someone trying to astroturf some GM propaganda about their JD Powers numbers being better this year.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 11 2007, 05:34 AM) [snapback]388304[/snapback]</div>
    It gets really worse, I noticed that he posted Chevy's JD Power numbers for 2005... Why 2005? Because in 2006, Chevy did worse than industry average, and their score went down by some 10% (Toyota improved slightly).

:).

Gotta love the spinning.

GM has to stop talking the talk and start producing the hybrids before anyone starts trusting their PR's, again. Anyone remember the "two-mode" hybrids that "will blow Toyota out of the water" from 2-3 years ago? Same technology now in use in GS450h for an year :).

But hey, you dont really need hybrids anymore, because on "this one time, I managed to get over 30 mpg in my V6!!!". People need to realize that Hybrid owners, "this one time" manage to get 70mpg :).

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spwolf @ Feb 10 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]388302[/snapback]</div>
    Not true! The concept is drivable. Check out this demonstration video with sound to see how far the development is! Compare it to Prius' EV mode in terms of quietness and performance. :eek:

Dennis

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah. I must admit I'm reading all of the spin and wondering...where is the meat on the Volt? Isn't that the title of the post?

Who says GM is going to fix every problem with the Volt for the first 100,000 miles? And define problem. What do you wanna bet they they start to weasel out on that promise?

And as for that 1% to 1.2% comparison again...define "problem". There's minor problems and there's major problems. If you lump them all together and the 1% of Toyota's "problems" are mostly minor and the 1.2% of GMs involve more major then that's not a fair comparison. To me it reads like some spin from the marketing department.

I'll believe it when I see it. I owned and Saturn and was reasonably satisfied with it except for the engine clips that I had to keep replacing every few years. GM considered that "routine maintenance". I considered it a design flaw since it started under warranty and continued every few years since.

GM has a lot of issues to resolve. They aren't going to do it with spin or marketing. They'll have to do it with actual real life facts that people live with. Word of mouth gave GM the reputation it enjoys now. It will take years of word of mouth to fix it. That means they'll have to keep their quality high for years before the word of mouth catches up with the reality. They'll just have to live with it. The question is...can they keep it up?

GM needs to embrace long haul and give up on short term fix. They also need to fire a lot of their upper management.

18. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Feb 10 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]388307[/snapback]</div>
    Comparing a concept car to something you can buy today? Right-o. That'll have them flocking to Chevy dealers...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 11 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]388308[/snapback]</div>
    Well said. I was a loyal GM customer for many years, but we had a parting of the ways. If they get something innovative like a plug-in out there, I'll be back to take a look, but I'm just not sure I could bring myself to buy a first year model (been there, done that), so at least give the Volt or whatever two years of production.

19. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Feb 11 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]388299[/snapback]</div>
    LEV II / SULEV II

Highlander FTW!

20. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Feb 10 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]388307[/snapback]</div>
    Saw the video... the EV motor sounds like a driven ICE lawn mower.

Noticed they did not open the bonnet? It could still be vaporware. Many concepts have ICE engines even though they tell people about it being hybrid/EV/FuelCell, all to show the concept of the body styles.

Has anyone actually have prove seeing what is under the bonnet?