1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Crappy Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oldensign, Apr 13, 2005.

1. oldensign

oldensign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The 2005 Prius owners manual seems to be comprehensive, simply because of its size. I am an engineer, and I have been in technial publications since 1965. I know a slapped-together publication when I smell one. It is obvious that the book was written before the vehicle was released, and/or the writer(s) never actually ahd the chance - or the desire - to drive the thing.

The manual is loaded with statements that are simply untrue: daytime running lights, as we all know. That's just the most obvious example. Toyota apparently saved money or paper by minimizing the index to the point of uselessness. There are very few procedures where it is not necessary to go from page to page to page to page before forgetting what the heck you were looking for in the first place. The retooled owners guide available on the internet (here on Priuschat, I believe) is far superior to Toyota's effort.

The whole book cries out for a complete rewrite. It might end up 50 percent larger, but that's just too bad. The dimensions could increase, and it would still fit in the glovebox.

By an odd coincidence, I just happen to be eminently qualified to do this sort of work. It wouldn't cost much more than, oh say, $26,950 plus tax.

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been using the repair manual all these years and can find things ok. BUt anybody else might get lost. If you ever need something in parts,a lot of times they call things by different names. So when I am trying to get a part,if I can't see their picture or maybe they don't understand,I print off a picture from the repair manual to show them. Sometimes I wish everybody;service,parts,and sales were all proofread/written by the same department, :lol:

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I agree, it's not well organized (and in places, poorly translated).

Y'know, given the number of Macintosh users on this board... maybe there's a market for an after-market Prius book?

Y'know:
    • Prius: The Missing Manual
    • Prius Bible
    • Prius: The Naked Truth
    • Prius for Dummies
    • The Little Prius Book

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

The Lexus online nav manual is certainly a big improvement over the "official" nav manual -- as far as it goes. It leads the raader throught the basic procedures but does not cover advanced usage. For instance, how do I force it to take an indirect route with some travel on the interstate and some off.

I also find John's vehicle manual also much clearer and better organized than the official manual.

I agree that there might be a market for a complete set of well indexed and well organized manuals written in correct and clear English. Instead of forcing the reader to jump all over the place to find a solution to a problem, it shoul list "if you want to do this -- do this in order" type of explaination.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad they do not have the manual built into the center screen. I rarely look at the manual anyways and a digital version on the screen would work for me.

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi\";p=\"81316)</div>
    If you mean the MFD, people would probably read it will driving down the road. Some people do the stupidist things while driving, :lol: . No wonder there are so many accidents. "But officer, I didn't have time to do my hair this morning" , 8)

8. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< MANUALS... {Update from my post in '05}

Taks a look at John's Prius "Manual" at: http://john1701a.com/ It's written in real English.

As for the NAVIGATION SYSTEM: There's an updated version more appropriate for the Prius at:

http://www.toyota-eshowroom.com/consumer/T...toyota_nav.html

I've not found the Owner's Manuals all that difficult, both in my original 2004 Prius and my newer 2007 Touring Edition Prius. I just highlight applicable sections and create my own supplemental Index in the back. In part, so I can refer PriusChat members where to find answers. I spent several years supporting Microsoft Software and have written proprietary application manuals. Sometimes, it seems that Prius owners have an especially strong aversion to reading the Owner's Manual... Why is that? There's a wealth of useful information therein.

10. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Excellent question, especially for this car. I can't imagine NOT reading the manual for something like this.

And then to come here and ask questions that are plainly answered in the manual....why would you spend that kind of money and then not read it? And then expect others to spoon feed it to you as the questions come to you?