1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The cruising range indicator on my 2012 Prius V did not reset after filling up.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joellyn Mumcian, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Joellyn Mumcian

Joellyn Mumcian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A couple of fill ups ago my cruise range indicator failed to reset properly. The mileage range on my car is usually between 360-375 miles per tank, and after filling up it said my range was almost 500 miles to empty which is really off. I turned it off and just used my trip indicator to let me know how far I’d driven and I figured that at next fill up it would correct itself. I let my tank go to almost empty thinking that might make a difference but no, after I refilled, the range indicator said I had at least 100 more miles to empty than I should have. I tested this and let my tank go almost empty again and on the fuel gauge when it reached the red, the range indicator said I still had over 100 miles to go. So, I’m hoping there’s an easy (and inexpensive) fix to this rather than have to take it in to see a mechanic.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the gas gauge reading properly?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the gas gauge and trip meters are operating OK, I wouldn't worry much about the range-guess-o-meter.

I don't have a 'v' and am unfamiliar with its different displays (compared to the liftback), thus my exploratory questions might be less relevant than usual:

(*) Did you recently have a tank with much higher MPG than normal due to different driving conditions? (Range estimates are based on recent history, so this could explain a higher range estimate. Though it doesn't seem consistent with some of your other symptoms.)

(*) Did you turn ignition on or off during refueling? (I have sometimes turned my Subaru ignition back on during refueling to get a jumpstart on updating my fuel logbook. Unfortunately, this act can bollix the fuel gauge and range estimate of that tank until it drains most of the way down. Don't know if other models are similarly susceptible.)