1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Cute Factor

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigdaddy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

NYT Science

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/03/science/03cute.html?hp

If the mere sight of Tai Shan, the roly-poly, goofily gamboling masked bandit of a panda cub now on view at the National Zoo isn't enough to make you melt, then maybe the crush of his human onlookers, the furious flashing of their cameras and the heated gasps of their mass rapture will do the trick.

Panda mania is not the only reason that 2005 proved an exceptionally cute year. Last summer, a movie about another black-and-white charmer, the emperor penguin, became one of the highest-grossing documentaries of all time. Sales of petite, willfully cute cars like the Toyota Prius and the Mini Cooper soared, while those of noncute sport utility vehicles tanked.

Cute cues are those that indicate extreme youth, vulnerability, harmlessness and need, scientists say, and attending to them closely makes good Darwinian sense. As a species whose youngest members are so pathetically helpless they can't lift their heads to suckle without adult supervision, human beings must be wired to respond quickly and gamely to any and all signs of infantile desire.

Even as they say a cute tooth has rational roots, scientists admit they are just beginning to map its subtleties and source. New studies suggest that cute images stimulate the same pleasure centers of the brain aroused by sex, a good meal or psychoactive drugs like cocaine, which could explain why everybody in the panda house wore a big grin. [sic BigDaddy] or why I get a woody driving my Prius.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    :huh: :eek: :lol: :rolleyes:

Woody? A Southernism?

Maybe sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll has to make room for a fourth.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Wow, I actually read the article, and it's well-written and insightful!

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Great article, I melt when I see something I consider cute