1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Day the Music Died

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Oct 29, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hung up a call while driving today (Bluetooth), and my music never came back on. The XM seems to find songs and stations, but no sound comes out no matter the volume setting.
    Could this be a blown fuse? If so, which and what type? The MFD still beeps and looks fine.
    Other ideas?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did hang up the phone, didn't you? :p

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, and double checked, and have done 2 restarts... No change

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So it's Bye Bye Miss American Pie?

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your car is toast. You should just give it to me since it's nothing but trouble. Buy a Hummer; I hear they are better for the environment.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    XM went out of business while you were taking that call. :madgrin:

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure the other person's phone disconnected?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

I assume you have an aftermarket config since you mention XM and Bluetooth on a 2004...

When making a phone call, are you using a hands-free mode where the sound comes through the speakers? If yes, then you can rule out a blown fuse since you can select various stations via the MFD (which proves the radio receiver assy has power) and the speakers work (which proves the JBL amp has power.)

The JBL amp has a mute circuit where the radio receiver sends a voltage to mute the amp when switching between various audio sources. When the amp is supposed to be working, the voltage on this circuit is >3.5V while the voltage is <1V when the amp is supposed to be muted.

Maybe this circuit is not working when the XM tuner is on and the mute voltage remains below <1V, thus keeping the amp silent. Or, maybe there's a problem with the XM tuner not providing an audio signal.

If you have a digital multimeter and feel like checking voltage on the mute circuit, see attached file.

Attached Files:

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick,
    That mute circuit thing sounds like the most likely issue, and I'd appreciate the details on how to check it. I did, just a bit ago, do a bluetooth call to make sure the speakers still work, and they do. Also, I don't think this is an XM issue b/c I get no sound with AM/FM/cassette...haven't tested a CD, but have no reason to think it would be the only thing working.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

See my prior msg and attached file.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you had your ears checked?

Tom

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since Evan can make phone calls I have to assume his ears are OK. :cool:

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick...looks like the entire head unit has to be pulled to reasonably access those test points...not fun.

Let me ask you this...even if I find that that is the cause of the problem, is there anything I can do about it? I would assume this would be covered under my extended warranty and, thus, it might be best to just let the dealer do the testing and fixing all at once.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

Actually, it would be easier to find the mute terminal at the JBL amp wiring harness connector (S15-1), under the front passenger seat. You can measure voltages there. If necessary, use a small pin to gently puncture the wire insulation so that you can measure the voltage between the appropriate wire and body ground.

If you find that the mute voltage is at >3.5V as it should be, then I suggest you disconnect your aftermarket addons (XM, Bluetooth) to make sure they are not the cause of the problem - before you take your car in for service. With an electrical problem of this sort, the tech may refuse to work on your car given the presence of the aftermarket accessories.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, thanks. I should be able to get to the area under the pax seat. My BT is not an add-on, but I do have the override circuit connected for the BT. The XM is an add-on, but hard to believe they would either a)know that, or b)care since it's simply a plug and play. But it's easy enough to unplug.

Any benefit in just disconnecting the battery?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could try that for fun, it won't hurt. Or else find and remove the fuses that provide power to the audio system: ACC, DOME, and AMP.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I went out to the car with the papers in hand...and have no idea what I'm doing.
    1)I couldn't get the black cover off of the amp, there are two black pins--do they pry up? Can I get them back on? Do I need the cover on at all if I can't get it back on? I assume it's there to keep my kids from stepping on the amp.

2)Do I just stick the red probe in the hole indicated on the PDF and the black to a ground? I assume this is all with the radio and ACC mode?

3)What about all the other stuff, testing the NAV connections, radio connections, etc. I'm just confused, in general, by the procedure.

Damn, looks like I'm music and baseball-less for a while. Maybe I'll go pull some fuses for grins.

18. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know... I think this may be the first time I've seen Evan asking a question.... He's one of the folks who supplies the answers around here!

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Evan,

1. Yes, you have to remove the clips in order to get the cover off. I haven't had need to do this on my car. Don't be surprised if the clips break while you are trying to remove them.

2. You need to leave the wiring harness connector in place. If bare metal at the wiring harness connector is available for you to probe, no problem. Otherwise you need to use a small pin as I suggested in a prior post.

3. Ignore the other parts of the procedure. You're just trying to see if the MUTE voltage is above 3.5V when the radio is on, without having to disconnect wiring at the radio control head, etc. If the voltage is correct, then check your aftermarket setup to make sure that's not causing a problem.

If the voltage is low, then either your radio control head or the amp has a problem, so let your extended warranty take care of that.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well....I didn't get back out to the car today to mess around with this any more today (but I really appreciate the input Patrick, I think I know what to do now). I didn't pull any fuses or disconnect the 12v or anything.

Then, this evening, I got in the car and the radio fired right up. Works fine. I hate intermittent problems. No idea what happened, but it works now.