1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dealer and the Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kente777, Jan 7, 2006.

1. kente777

kente777 New Member

Well, first of all, I just picked up my red package 3 today, and I love it!!

The process at the dealer went well except for the financing part. When the finance manager got to the extended warranty discussion, he pushed hard for the 5 year 60,000 warranty. I told him that I could get the warranty elsewhere for under $1000 and he told me that if I could, it was not from an authorized Toyota rep because only dealers are authorized to sell these. When I told him I had done my research and that this person worked for Toyota (I mentioned no names), he gave me a very stern "You need to be very careful about buying outside of Toyota." Of course, he made it sound like he really cared for my well being (maybe he did), but he really inquired hard about who I was getting this from. I told him that I would be glad to buy from him if he could match the price in which he then replied that "he could go to jail" if he did that.

Well, I politely turned down the extended warranty, and started out the door. Just before I left, he came back to me and told me that he talked to the owner and was told that any warranty bought outside the dealership was not an authorized Toyota warranty. I thanked him and told him I'd do the research and if I found out the warranty was bogus, I would buy from him.

Now to my question: Is the extended warranty offered through Prius Chat an authorized Toyota warranty. And what about his assertion that only dealerships were authorized to sell these warranties.

Btw, I mentioned no names or where I could buy the warranty cheaper. He said, if it really was true, he would like to know the name because he would like to buy it from him. (yeah, right).

Anyway, any assurances you guys can give me about this warranty would be greatly appreciated. Is this the exact warranty that you can buy at the dealership?

Thanks.

Ken (now a proud Prius owner)

2. notsure

notsure New Member

It is the exact warranty, Troy is a toyota person selling toyota warranties.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Also remember you don't need to but it at this time. You have three years to decide if you want/need it.

4. kente777

kente777 New Member

Oh, I'm definitely going to get it, and I'd rather get it sooner than later (while I have the money), but the dealership was definitely adamant that this couldn't be an authorized Toyota warranty. He also started quoting Florida state law. ?

Ken

5. mchinta

mchinta New Member

I brought 2006 Package 8 just 1 month ago and I just brought warranty with Troy of this forum and he in turn gets this warranty through his Toyota dealership only. I turned down 5 year warranty offered by the dealer for 1400$ and I brought the warranty offered by Troy with 7 years plan with 0$ deduductible which is a great plan for a lot cheaper price. After the check was encashed warranty comes from Toyota Financials directly to your house so there is no question of authenticity. If you still have questions then 800 phone numbers will be there on the policy to verify authenticity.
    I surely recommend warranty offered by Troy to all the other members.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ohhh ... Florida... You better check with Troy, there was some talk along time ago about Florida or some other state down south being a little bit different. I forget all the details back then but Troy knew all about it. Troy is definatly a great reputable person to deal with. Call or email him with your questions. His info is on the warranty thread.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I suggest delaying the purchase of the extended warranty until you drive the car for a while and are sure that you'll want to have it for more than three years. Note also that 60,000 miles is only 24,000 miles more than the standard warranty. In my case, this would mean a year and a half of additional protection for $1400; I bet that my Prius won't cost me that much in repairs during 18 months.

Extended warranties are big business for car makers, meaning that more often than not, they earn much more that what they spend fixing the car. The same holds true for all such warranties. I read somewhere that Sears makes more money on extended warranties than on the appliances themselves.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you buy the extended warranty through this site, it is only $990 for 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with a zero deductible.

That is quite a bit more than a year and a half worth of protection, even for you.

9. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I'd better do that then...... Yeah, Florida is a little goofy on some things....... Thanks for the heads-up!

10. Rocketeir

Rocketeir New Member

Please post what you find out. I live in Florida too and am picking up my 06 package 06 on Saturday.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve