1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Demand for Prii (at least in Seattle)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bookrats, Apr 19, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Got a call from a small local Toyota dealer who I'd made e-mail inquiries to (via Costco) several months ago. He was checking to see if I was still in the market; after he discovered that I had an order in elsewhere, he crossed me off his list, and we chatted a bit.

Two things I thought interesting:
    • He says that Toyota, to trace duplicate orders of Priuses, was going to ask for your Social Security Number along with your order. (I hope this isn't true; the thought of my SSN floating around some car dealerships isn't comforting.)
    • Over the last few months, they've received two Priuses that were either unexpected, or which someone had backed out on (I wasn't clear on this.) On each, they decided to price them at $3K over MSRP, and (without putting much effort into selling them) see if they sold. In both cases, the cars sold -- at that price -- within 72 hours.

• I don't know how of this is true, but thought I'd pass it along.

2. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called my local Toyota dealer to cancel my order after finding a car in WY. They advised they have 68 Prii on order and receive 3-4 cars a month. (about a 23 month wait period)
    Just last week a friend tried to order a Prius from the same dealer and instead of just taking the credit card number for a deposit, she was told they would charge her card $500.

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

• The part about the 3k over MSRP probably is true; don't know about the SSN being required. I got a call from Robert Larsen in Tacoma a while ago, while I was still on the list, offering me my choice of a white 7 or a blue 9, at 3k over MSRP. I decided that I would feel pretty stupid paying that when the cars were going for MSRP in 6 months after the production ramped up. The attitude of the guy on the phone was particularly obxnious: condescending and somewhat cynical, like an unaddicted person selling opium to addicts. I told him that accepting his offer would make me look like a fool and him greedy. He laughed; the knowing laugh of someone who is indeed being greedy but knows he'll get it anyway. It felt creepy just talking on the phone with him let alone paying him 28k for a 25k car.
        Glad I found James Toyota in Moses Lake.

4. stuhillman2004

stuhillman2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just got a letter from Toyota noting that I have multiple orders from dealers in the area. I don't. I ordered one from Rosner Toyota of Stafford (paid $500 deposit) and got the car in record time. Happy, happy. Lustine Toyota Dodge, from who (whom?) I bought a 2002 Classsic said they would try to get me a 2004 but didn't get a formal order and didn't get a deposit but I guess they must have put me down for one. I wonder if there is some priority given to dealers who have lots of orders? In any case, I'll call Toyota tomorrow and cancel any repeats so someone else might get theirs sooner.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's called the "vehicle preference" system. Dealers enter customer names prior to an allocation and their servicing distributor attempts to fill based on factors like aging, color and equipment. My dealer says that a few will try to abuse the system to get display models, but are usually caught and turned in by dealers spying on each other's inventory. Sounds like Prius dealer guerrilla warfare out there.