1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Dreaded Rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Washington1788, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its only taken about 7K mile for my car to develop a rattle around the glove compartment area or on the passenger side door. Not too bad, but noticble over bumps and slightly rough road.

Does anyone have any experience with rattles in those areas and if so, any luck in silencing them?

Thanks! :)

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 23 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]501095[/snapback]</div>
    Check the slide in shelf in the upper glove box. If it is not installed correctly it will rattle.

3. Washington1788

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Aug 23 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]501103[/snapback]</div>
    That was the first thing I went to and no luck...even took it out just to make sure! :)

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I lined the edges of the shelf with black electrical tape to make a more snug fit.

Afraid I can't help with the rattle.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 23 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]501109[/snapback]</div>
    Did you check the storage compartment in the passsenger door? My wife left a pen in there and it rattled a lot.

6. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 23 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]501095[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '07.

At the right side of the front of the car, the huge piece of plastic that is the dash board rattles against the cover for the SRS for the passenger.

I stuck a bit of clear vinyl tubing between the two places - quieted it right up.

7. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Washington1788, I am experiencing the same thing. I thought it might have been the little plastic piece in the glove box but it wasn't that. I also thought it might have been my little flashlight that you shake to get current, but not that either. Mine sounds like it is coming from BEHIND the glove box area. Yes, it is annoying, but turning the radio volume up always helps. I will try what kohnen mentioned in his post. Hopefully, it's that.

8. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Aug 23 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]501203[/snapback]</div>
    It is very hard to determine whwer a rattle comes from due to the acoustics in the car. I am almost sure mine is coming from above the head liner near the sunglass compartment. But if I have an empty can or bottle in the center console cup holder, it sounds almost exactly the same, including sounding like it is coming from the head liner.

Just this week, a very faint chirping type noise has developed above the right rear door, again, sounding like it is up in the head liner. Could it be a colony of crikets has made a home up there?

9. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove around for about a month with a very annoying (and intermittent) rattle that I swore was coming from behind the radio/mfd area of the dash. It actually turned out to be the forward most cup holder vibrating when in the closed position. I added some foam padding and it hasn't recurred.

10. Washington1788

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sub_Man @ Aug 23 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]501242[/snapback]</div>
    I will have to check out those possiblities as well...!

Many thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Aug 23 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]501203[/snapback]</div>
    That's an excellent place to check...thank you!

11. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I traced a pair of rattles on mine to the trim piece next to the small side windows, forward of the front doors. The plastic was insufficiently secured, so a small piece of velcro on either side to hold it against the edge of the dash fixed it.

There's also an occasional rattle from the leading edge of the A-pillar trim on the passenger side I need to take care of.

Next time it's rattling, find a passenger and have them touch various parts of the dash to see if it goes away.

12. egb6550

egb6550 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 23 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]501095[/snapback]</div>

I have 2005 and had a rattle coming from that area too. I removed speaker grill, glove compartment, trim underneath glove box, air filter and anything else that I could pull off. My wife told me to give up it was no big deal, but like her it drove me nuts.. finally after adjusting the connection between the right upper passenger vent and the air feed tube it went away.. I tried that on my wife as well but she's still annoying

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you could try a piece of velcro or a piece of clear hose on the wife?

14. bngraham

bngraham New Member

I have a rattle on the rear, driver-side door. It seems to be associated with the piece of door right below the window. If I push around on the door below the window, it will stop. But, alas, it starts back up later. It drives me crazy. I'm tempted to take it to the dealer to fix, as I'm only at 9000 miles. Anyone else have this rattle?

15. JunsGrayPria

JunsGrayPria New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CJs Mom @ Aug 27 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]503055[/snapback]</div>

I had a Corolla (my first ever car) in 1998. "Cory"... I loved that car more than any other since it was the first one but got totalled on the 10 freeway after rolling over...

I got a Highlander in 2004... too little mpg...

I got a Prius in 2007... clicking noise in the left rear door/seatbelt area... like a clock ticking... but I love "Pria" anyway

THEY ALL HAD THAT RATTLE/DASH SOUND/ SIDE CLICKING NOISE! IT'S A TOYOTA IF IT HAS THE NOISE.
    It's the price we pay for reliability... Doesn't bother me that much since I turn up the music real loud...

16. Treetune

Treetune New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 23 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]501095[/snapback]</div>
    I am not sure if this is the same rattle that I hear but suspect that it is. I haven't done anything to remedy the situation as it doesn't bother me that much.

but...

I have read in previous threads that this rattle is common and is most probably the air filter for the compartment that is located behind the glove box. If you look in the owners manual you will see instructions on how to replace the air filter. From what I've read, this filter doesn't always seat snugly and is rattling in his holder. If you want to investigate the rattle I'd suggest checking out this filter and perhaps use something, perhaps tape or a paper towel or something to secure the filter more snugly.

I've toyed with the idea of going in and doing this with my car as I do indeed have this rattle, but knowing my luck I'd find some way of breaking my glove box in the process. lol

17. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 23 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]501209[/snapback]</div>

Hehe, that is exactly what I have... A rattle that sounds like it is coming form the sunglasses holder but, in reality, it is coming from the front right dashboard area. I too have checked the little tray in the upper glovebox and that is not the culprit this time. I'll check all the above-mentioned areas for the offender... If not, I will have Toyota do it. I have about 5200 miles right now. No cricket sounds so far though! :)

18. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

I had the rattle on the driver side SRS pillar. At least that is what the Dealer tech told me. The tech came along and drove with me to see where it was coming from. He was able to find it and fix it. Every once in a while I think I hear it again but it is only over really rough roads.

Either way I too listen to my music so I really cannot hear it if it is doing it anyway. :)

19. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kohnen @ Aug 23 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]501157[/snapback]</div>
    I have the same on my '07...at least Toyota is somewhat consistent with the rattles B)

I was low tech on my fix, had an old credit card that was black so I cut it up and wedged part of it in there. Hey, its what I had with me at the time. I like the idea of vinyl tubing...maybe some day I'll bother with trying to get the dealer to fix it.

Rattles drive me nuts, if I wanted rattles I'd drive a GM...such as a Vibe(rate-and-rattle).

20. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDiver @ Sep 11 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]510689[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! Now that IS funny. We have a Vibe at work that we raz about being the "Vib-rate". It really does make just a ton of noise on bumpy roads; which we have plenty of up here...