1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The dreaded snowflake hits Washington

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marjam, Nov 4, 2006.

1. marjam

marjam Member

Well, it happened tonight. The snowflake that indicated temps below 37 degrees has lit up. The Washington area has its first freeze warning tonight. Winter is coming and mpg are going down!

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You are lucky. I have had it on for 2 or 3 weeks now. :)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We had it on the west coast :)o) earlier this week when a cold front moved through. Now daytime temps are 2x higher than on Monday and it's wet as hell.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It hit Washington State (Spokane) also, a few days ago. But I ain't complaining, 'because where I moved here from it's gonna be 20 and 30 below zero (F) before too much longer, and can easily stay below zero (F) day and night for weeks at a time.

I remember my first winter in this one house that had a gravity-feed pot-type oil burner for heat. For two weeks the temperature went below 20 below every night, and never went above zero, and after a few days the oil gelled in the line and the fire went out and I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and the temperature inside my house was 20 degrees F. I had to bundle up and go outside into a 50-below-zero wind-chill to wrap heat tape around the fuel line, wait for it to liquify, and re-light the furnace.

Then there was the night the accumulated ash build-up caused the fire to dwindle and it was 40 inside when I woke up, and I had to shut the furnace off, wait for it to cool, scrape out the burn ring to clear it of ash, clean out the filthy mess, and re-light the furnace.

The following summer I installed an LP gas heater, even though I was renting the house.

I don't like the snowflake, but it just doesn't carry the same weight in Spokane as it did in North Dakota.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Daniel....I used to live in "Nor-Dakoda dere" also. And, it was CCCCCold! Not so here in sunny San Diego. :)

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its been in the low 20's, upper teens here all weekend and No snowflake !!!!! (I have a '06, and I dont think they have 'em) :lol: :lol:

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Nov 4 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]343969[/snapback]</div>
    I could have moved to San Diego long ago, worked for my Dad, and made buckets of money. But the smog and the traffic and the crowding and the general ugliness of the city (any city) were no attraction to me. ND is cold, but it is beautiful, and the air is clean, and on average maybe six cars would pass me on my 3-mile morning jog. Crime is low and people are friendly and the air is clean and I had 1/4 acre of garden space on my 4-acre farmstead. I was poor, and in winter I was cold, but it was worth it...

Until about 3 years ago, when the cold finally became intolerable, and eventually I moved here, to Spokane, where I'm an easy drive from British Columbia, the most spectacularly beautiful country I've ever seen.

Where in ND did you live? And for how long? I moved there in 1970 and left almost exactly one year ago. (Though I was out of the country for 6 years.)

8. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be right about zero degrees Fahrenheit here tonight. I've had really hard ice buildup on both the inside and outside of the windshield each morning. Even the block heater isn't helping much. :(

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Nov 5 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]344345[/snapback]</div>
    ouch.

we got well over 100mm of rain. Another 50-90mm expected. It has, more or less, rained non-stop (with only a few hours of break in between) since Thursday.

temps are in the 50s