1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The Dubai poop-truck parade...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amm0bob, Apr 19, 2012.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK OK...

So they can think just far enough ahead to build a skyscraper taller than a mountain... but have mountains of poop they didn't think about containing...

Ficken hilarious...

From another forum I frequent:

Poop trucks of Dubai

1 person likes this.
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG
    this is bad!

1 person likes this.
  3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's completely insane. Have they never heard of composting toilets? With the heat there, they probably wouldn't even need electricity.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's not that easy to dig out a giant pipe network underground, especially below a city built on unstable materials.

1 person likes this.
  5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ummm.... who were the architects for this cluster f**k? Looks like someone sh*t and fell in it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Composting toilets don't all require electricity. Even in cold climates (like Maine).

1 person likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We all know what's gonna happen don't we? I give it 10 years before Dubai becomes a set for MadMax4.

The property bubble there will go pop any time so (if it hasn't already). And that's before I even mention the somewhat 'interesting' law and order experiences people have had out there.

You couldn't pay me to go. They run ads on tv all the time over here to try and get people to visit Dubai, but it's not one for me. Especially considering I'm not married and both me and girlfriend face imprisonment if we stayed in the same room. OK, that's their laws and I don't intend to test them.

2 people like this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dubai is actually very hypocritical. They want the west to come and spend money and in general turn a blind eye to westerners blatently breaking the official law (actually a crime) and the unwritten laws (they will find an official law you are breaking because of you breaking an unwritten law). Outside of Dubai in the UAE, it is a very different story. But you don't need headcoverings, you can do PDA's but don't press it. Think of it as an actually "nanny state". Don't do anything that you wouldn't want your nanny or nan seeing. If grandma would approve, it is probably OK.

The property bubble there won't go bust until the ground dries up. And when it does, they will have built their infrastructure enough to become a world tourist destination. That is their goal and they are in transition now.

Dubai is playing its cards the right way. They have grown very fast, and their plans are going forward properly. Give it another decade and the western facade will have some western infrastructure with it. Give it a couple generations and the royals may adopt a figurehead position in the next wave of "Arab Spring"'s.

1 person likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And on a more related note, the city has open bids for implementing an underground sewer, water, electricity, and network infrastructure through Dubai Metro (i.e. skyscraper places). It is not they aren't thinking about it, it is just that they haven't done it yet.

1 person likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Like London in 1830?

1 person likes this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    More like Manhattan, New York between 1850 and 1902. The sewer system didn't really exist in the minds until 1850, and it wasn't for another 50 years until it covered most people. The dutch had built a single channel under broadway and covered it before hand, but nobody used it.

Sewers are actually a pretty new idea in the grand scheme of things.

When I go to Trinidad we have barrels that the gutters feed into for clean water (drinking, showering) and then runoffs for gray water (flushing the toilet) which just goes into a big tank that a couple houses are connected to. It gets pumped out every month or so and driven to the waste processing plant. Lots of places like this, and as far as I know, Trinidad has no plans to change that.

1 person likes this.
  12. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes ofcourse and dubai was build in the 1800? no its today
    this is stuppid really
    first build a city and then think.... oo shit mm yes SHIT hahah

2 people like this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was declared an official place in the 1800's... Nomads were there 5000 years ago. Even if you count the "modern" Dubai as the beginning, that would be in the 1960's. They are implementing a sewer system 50 years after the beginning of their modernization. It took London hundreds of years until the mid 1800's. It took New York over a hundred years to get a system going. 60 years isn't bad.

1 person likes this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, other than prior to that there wasn't such a thing as a sewer system for about 1600 years since the Romans left.

Then since about 1850 sewer systems hit the modern world and are in any modern city. If Dubai forgot, then that says a lot about them to me.

1 person likes this.
  15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah but they only "just" became modern. It is not a matter of forgetting, it is a matter of ongoing growth and modernization.

In the 80's and 90's it wasn't uncommon for many of the now-western Chinese cities to have people squatting in the street. Still happens in pretty much every "modern" Indian city.

1 person likes this.
  16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because 'our' sewage systems have underground pipes doesn't really make them all that superior, especially in environmental terms. Using vast quantities of drinking water to carry the waste to the nearest river is still not very bright.

1 person likes this.
  17. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just turn the persian gulf into a giant septic tank, and make saudi arabia the leach field

2 people like this.
  18. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

fixed

1 person likes this.
  19. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't fix anything. You are confused about the definition of architect.

2 people like this.
  20. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :nono: Oh dear me SlowTurd! :eek: According to icarus this egregious offense will get you banned.

1 person likes this.