1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The "eco" cars (hybrid economy w/o the cost)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, May 19, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    MODEL (highway) Combined mpg is typically 34, 35, 36

Chevy Cruze TD (46 mpg)
    Ford Fiesta 1.0 (45 mpg)
    Mitsubishi Mirage 1.2 (44 mpg)
    Ford Focus 1.0 (44 est.)
    Passat TDI (43 mpg)

Honda Civic HF (42 mpg)
    Toyota Corolla Eco (42 mpg)
    Chevy Cruze Eco (42 mpg)
    Dodge Dart Aero (41 mpg)
    Honda Fit (41 mpg)

I'm not sure these Eco cars are worth the extra money they cost. The Fiesta, Focus, and Mirage are pretty cheap, but the Corolla, Cruze, etc are often several thousand more than the non-Eco base models.

Quoting Consumer Reports: "If you drive 12,000 miles a year and pay $4 for gas, the Civic HF would save you $45/year. At that rate it would take 18 years to make-up the extra cost versus a base LX."

I would say most people drive 15,000 miles and increasing, but that's still 14 years if CR's calculations are correct.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only useful if you value the dollar above everything else. Saving gas, is saving gas and that's a good thing. If you want to save the most money, go buy a junker for $300 and drive it until the wheels most likely literally fall off.

Nobody tries to justify the cost of "normal" cars when compared against themselves. Only the hybrid, electric, and "eco" cars are expected to pay you back?

bwilson4web and cwerdna like this.
  3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    "Nobody" is a strong term. I can think of at least one person who wants to buy a new car (next year) and is looking at the lowest overall cost:

Me. There are other people like that in the world too. Is used cheaper? Yes of course, but then you have the hassle of people doing dumb stuff to their cars:
    - smoking
    - not changing the oil. Ever. For 50,000 miles.
    - flooding the car & not telling you it was flooded
    - putting wheel locks on the hub & now you can't remove the wheels for rotation
    - hooking-up aftermarket radios incorrectly & draining the 12v battery daily
    - putting worthless K&N air filters to fill the engine with dirt

It's amazing the dumb things people do to their cars (and you get stuck with the fix). Sometimes it's worth shopping for a new (but inexpensive) car to avoid all these messes. A lot of the new cars go for a mere 12, 14, 16 thousand dollars (via dealer markdowns & manufacturer rebates).

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the combined cycle is misleading. The Australian and EU equivalents are even worse. But whatever, those figures don't tell you the full story. Which car is more economical depends on what kind of driving you do.

Most of my driving is in the city, in traffic jams. So for me, there's a vast gap between what I can get from a hybrid and what I'd get from an economical normal car. I typically get around 5.1l/100km (46mpg (US)) in my Prius. The 1.8 petrol Golf I had before this, on the same driving pattern, was getting closer to 15l/100km (15mpg (US)). Over my typical year of about 8,000 miles, that's a difference of 533-173 = 360 gallons. We typically pay about US$ 5.67 for a US gallon, so that's saving of more than US$ 2,000 per year in the Prius over the Golf.

But when I drive to Canberra (a steady 70 (ish, officer) mph, over about 200 miles), I also average about 5.1l/100lm (46mpg (US)). My Dad has a Passat TDI (mentioned in your list) wagon. Living in Britain, he does a lot more long-distance driving than I do. When he's driving to Glasgow (about the same as my drive to Canberra), he averages about 70mpg (UK) (58mpg (US)). And that's the way he does most of his driving. So for him, a diesel is the most economical car, whereas for me, a hybrid is the most economical car.

The Consumer Reports article you mentioned seems to fail to take all of these factors into account.

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where you are (US?). And I'm not sure how depreciation works in America. But here in Australia, it's very much worthwhile to buy a used car. In particular, it's worthwhile buying a two-year-old ex-government car at auction. They're properly maintained, absolutely stock (as long as it's not an ex-police car), and the drivers are subject to all sorts of rules on things like smoking and driving like an idiot.

But cars here are very expensive new in comparison to the US, and depreciate horribly for the first two years, and then slow down dramatically.

So my car would have been A$ 40,000 new. I bought it when it was two years old, with 40,000km (25,000 miles on it), absolutely stock, with a full service history, in immaculate condition. It cost me A$ 16,000. I've had it nearly four years, and it looks like I could get about A$ 14,000 for it now if I were to sell it privately. So it lost A$ 24,000 in its first two years, when someone else owned it, and it's lost A$ 2,000 in the four years that I've owned it. (A$ 1 is US$ 0.93 just now).

When I replace my car (which I may do this year, with a newer-shape Prius or a HyCam), I'll do the same thing. I much prefer to let other people to take the depreciation hit.

In Hong Kong, the depreciation doesn't slow down like it does in Australia - it just keeps on going. The worst (best for me) depreciation I've dealt with was a Mercedes CL600 which I bought when I lived in Hong Kong (and later sold in Australia). In the ten years before I bought it, it had done 60,000km (just under 40,000 miles). And in that time, the value had dropped from HK$ 2.2 million (US$ 280,000) to HK$ 60,000 (US$ 7,700). So depreciation cost the previous owner US$ 35 per kilometre (US$ 50 per mile), or US$ 540 per week.

Also in Hong Kong, I bought a 13-year-old, reasonably-functional Saab 9000 for HK$ 1,000 (US$ 120). I didn't take too much of a hit on depreciation when I got rid of that one.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's definitely worthwhile money to be saved in buying a 2 - 3 year old car.

I bought two three year old cars summer of 2000. A BMW 328i and a Subaru Outback.

I sold them both lady summer after 13 years. $22,000 depreciation on the BMW over 100k miles; $13,000 on the Subaru over 130 k miles.

Pretty hard to beat.

7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is just one other aspect to all those calculations and I do not dispute one word you are saying. If you can afford a new luxury car and if that is what makes you happy, go for it.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Features also need to be taken into account with eco trims. The Cruze ECO is better equipped than the base LS. The HF and LX Civic have the same features except the HF has the CVT standard, which is an additional $800 add to the price of the LX

9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well it's a bit of a tossup with "eco" cars that are specially designed to save gasoline.

- I could buy a Fiesta SFE for $16,100 and get 41mpg. Or Fiesta 1.0 for $17,000 and get 45mpg. Is the 5 mpg really gaining-back $900 premium? Probably not.

- If I can live without cruise control or power windows, I can get a base Fiesta S for $14,000 and still get 39mpg. The $3000 savings upfront are more than the 6mpg savings of the 1.0 model.

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All very true.

But from what I've heard - and I haven't tried them - Ford's 1.0 engine, in the Fiesta or the Focus, gives a much nicer driving experience than the 1.4 or 1.6. Everything I've heard suggests that it's more powerful, has better low-down torque, is smoother, and sounds nicer. So once again, you're paying for more than just the mpg.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The world is too big and life too short to put up with a car you want to hate. Sell it and give someone else the initial depreciation gift.

Now our first Prius was bought used. 49,000 miles, 2 years old, and 800 miles away. We also bought the shop manuals. It is still in the driveway with 100,000 miles and still gets 52 MPG after the first two months when I was learning how the Prius works. We bought it nine years ago.

So if you don't like your ride and can't figure out how to use it, sell it and find some happiness.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not everyone drives nor works on a highway nor is able to do their commute at highway speeds. Plenty of folks have to travel on surface streets and highways w/tons of stop and go and idling during rush hour.

http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub/stt.pdf on page 42 from 2009 puts the average annual miles per vehicle at 10,088 in 2009.

There's far more to ownership costs than just upfront cost and fueling cost. The Dodge Dart Aero is the most expensive overall in 5 year costs for a compact car, per CR.

Ownership Costs | Cost of Vehicle Ownership - Consumer Reports
    What That Car Really Costs to Own | Cost of Vehicle Ownership - Consumer Reports
    Most and Least Expensive Cars to Own | Cost of Car Ownership - Consumer Reports News
    Best Car Values | Best Cars for the Money - Consumer Reports

Low to mid 30-ish MPG combined isn't "hybrid economy" unless you want to compare to much higher performance hybrids. Ones that get impressive combined mileage (e.g. 40 mpg combined 3-cylinder Mirage) are apparently penalty boxes: Mitsubishi Mirage Reviews - Mitsubishi Mirage Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER. The 3-cylinder Fiesta 1.0 is available only w/a manual transmission. Some of those vehicles like the Fiesta are subcompact cars, per EPA classification. The Passat TDI starts at over $26K.

And, for most of the non-Japanese cars listed, their reliability is not-so-good to dismal.

fuzzy1 and bwilson4web like this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree with cwerdna and would only add. Get rid of that 'hateful' Prius and buy some other car, ones from your list. Then share your happiness and satisfaction in those forums or one of the PriusChat "other car" forums.

Life is too short to be known as a Prius owner who hates his ride because he can not get above the left-edge of the Prius MPG "Bell Curve" in urban driving. Hates the Prius because there are cheaper cars that are infinitely more appealing. In spite of the commercial, a Prius is NOT for everyone.

Prius is not like any other car and though it has a powerful traction battery and two electric motors, it is not really an electric car. The Prius really is something different and remains a mystery . . . especially to automotive press reporters.

For those who are curious, the Prius remains a fascinating machine that still teaches and gives 'hands on' to uncommon technology. But not everyone shares my wonder at the world and basic curiosity.

Bob Wilson

fuzzy1 and cwerdna like this.
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Concur.
    However (comma!)
    "Prius Smugness" and "Prius Hate" notwithstanding a Prius IS suited for the vast majority of drivers out there, and if you keep the car for >100,000** miles and/or buy it used?
    I can't think of a much cheaper car to put in your driveway.
    They're pretty green too....depending on what that means to you and yours.

There is a hybrid premium, but over the last three years that premium has been reduced by rising fuel prices, rising base model prices, CAFE regulation changes and other factors....and you cannot lash a 1kw inverter to many of the other ecoboxes out there when it gets dark after a storm. :)

(**) and falling. Fast.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why not?
    Can't deny they'll use more fuel than a Prius doing so, but they might use less than a portable generator. They will do so with less emissions at least.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking that the alternators that top off the 12v battery in something like a 1 liter Ford wouldn't be up to scratch for the job.
    Please correct my misunderstandings in this regard, since I'm in an area that can be impacted by a hurricane!

How large an inverter can you hang off of these cars?

17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm guessing that the typical alternator would be rated at ~80 A which just about gets you to 1 kW but you'd have to be racing the engine and I suspect the duty cycle would kill it.

18. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I miss my 1977 Rabbit Diesel. Bought it second-hand for $1000 with 50,000 miles on it, put another 100,000 miles and sold it for $800 4 years later. 4 seats, 50+ mpg.

19. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    (1) I included the combined MPG for those like cwerdna in city traffic or stop/go traffic. :)

(2) I'm not selling my Prius no matter how many times you direct hate at me. (So much for liberal open & embracing nature.). Besides I've only had it two weeks. :)

(3) I like my Prius just fine. Never said otherwise. Its interstate MPG is outstanding. :)

(4) Embrace IDIC (infinite diversity; infinite combinations). Not everyone thinks alike. For example: I don't see my cars as anything other than appliances, though the EV mode is pretty cool.

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    (5) The Ford engines are rated 4th in reliability, which is very good out of 30+ automakers. (Honda is 1, Toyota 2, Mercedes 3.) I'd feel comfortable buying a Fiesta, Focus, or Fusion..... but less so a Chevy and definitely not a VW.