1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The education gap in America is getting huge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 24, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To avoid distraction of the linear issues of the bladder thread, as we discussed the complexities of the bladder alone, and I started wavering from the topic about the fuel guage, so I am staring a new topic.

Why are our American companies struggling next to Japan?

Well the way I see it.. we are dealing with high level technology now. We are so caught up in giving value to the jocks and cheerleaders that the guy who excells in his grades is a geek in this country?

If the bladder on the fuel tank of the prius is so complex.... how crazy is the rest of the car?... yet it works... the car works good and does it for a long long time.....with the best warranties and best resale and best Likability by customers in the industry!

Wow... the gap between America and the Eastern world in education on a high tech level is starting to become obvious!..
    on a world level we are starting to get the fat lazy redneck image who gets by with his brawn and muscle rather than his brains!

I guess when there is a gap on the high school level and college and those kids finally grow up.. here we are today!... our fine education is finally paying off by having japan beat our pants off in technology!

And that thiers works so good and for so long is the other amazing part of the equation.....

Seems the only way we are excelling as Americans in technology is if we "copy" someone elses work :(

When are we going to value education?...

Well I'm just glad someone is doing it!... and they are not even rubbing our faces in it like we probrably would them if we had the chance!... the economy itself is doing it for us!

My hat is off to Toyota and I am honored to support them with my purchase of two prius's....... Its just ashamed that someone out of America is not leading the way.

it took a crowded little country where people are stacked on top of each other like cardboard to value preserving energy.

America Tries, but its just not serious enough and smart enough to do it.. and they won't hire enough eastern guru's to do it for them.

Now I'm hearing or saw on the news yesterday that "not enough people are buying Ford either".... looks like they are all heading for belly up at this rate?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tell me about it man. I moved to the US from China when I just finished 4th grade. I started 5th grade here. The math class in 5th grade is doing addition and subtraction. I was laughing my nice person off. We were doing geometry 4th grade in China. I m not sure if that's still the case now, that was 11 years ago.

In college, I had couple of grad students from India as my partners for the senior design project. When I talk to them, they know so much that makes me feel like I know nothing compare to them.

So there's definitely a gap!

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm dumbfounded. You've set some sort of record for unsubstantiated stereotypes. May I suggest you get a copy of "Freakonomics" and see what real analysis looks like.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is some truth to this, but as usual, statistics don't tell the whole story.

There was a great article written not to long ago where a lot of people in Asian countries are worried that their educational systems just aren't doing enough to prepare students for the real world. Their cause for concern was the fact that their students test well (better than we do), but when placed in situations that require independent thought and innovation, the same students were outperformed by their western counterparts.

FWIW, I don't know of any 5th grade curriculum that teaches addition and subtraction in 5th grade, unless it's a very remedial class.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My real life experience shows windstrings' post might be right. I never meant to stereotype anybody. Of course someone might encounter something totally opposite.
    But from word of mouth among classmates in college, seem like international students knows alot more (at least theory wise) than US students.

Like I said, that's 11 yrs ago and who knows what type of class they put me into.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And I hate to double post... but...

Who says that a 'jock' can't excel in their scholastic work as well as athletic endeavors? There seems to be this perception among certain people (we'll call them lazy) that participating in activities which cause them to exert themselves is somehow beneath them. To them I say: Enjoy your first heart attack when you're 38. Not everyone is the next Peyton Manning, for sure, but there's no reason you can't do well in school and be physically fit.

And the bladder on the Prius is a hack. There are many other PZEV cars, some even from 'merican manufacturers, that don't require a bladder to be PZEV. The bladder is a cost saving measure. It's actually elegant in it's non-complexity, but I doubt companies like BMW (with a PZEV 3 series) feel that customers will stand for a 'guess gauge' instead of a gas gauge.

7. jfritz

jfritz New Member

Jonnycat26,
    I concur. I'm a high school band director. I was fortunate enough to spend 3 weeks touring Japan this summer as part of the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund fellowship. I spent time in Japanese class rooms from pre-school through university. They're quite worried about their schools and based on my observations, they should be. They admit freely that there are problems in their system too.

Japanese kids are tracked at a very young age. If you are a slow starter you're probably destined to be a service type employee before you're in middle school. If you're bright and on a fast track to a good college you have to endure some mind-numbing national tests that require more regurgitation of facts then synthesis of ideas. They spend hours in "jukus" or "crammies" (an after school private enterprise that basically forces a lot of memorizing of facts). Depression, suicide, and stress are a real part of the lives of a Japanese 8th grader and senior (the years when they're tested). Overall standardized testing in Japan is a lot different than in the U.S. which causes a huge skewing of data. Not every kid in Japan takes the yearly standardized tests. Mentally and physically handicapped kids are not mainstreamed and don't always take the tests. In the US EVERY student takes it.

Having said that, the Japanese have an incredible work ethic. As a culture, the whole is more important than the individual. The greater good is paramount to the ya-yas of the individual. They are masters at refining a product to perfect, i.e. Toyota. They struggle with innovation, which is why the Prius is such a shining star.

What we are struggling with in this country is not a simple solution. Some of it is cultural i.e. the sports mentality that pervades, the individualism that challenges our educational system, some of it is financial: the underfunding of education as a whole (how many billions of $ is NCLB underfunded?), but the MOST FRUSTRATING thing is that it has become so politicized. This, in my opinion, is what is currently hamstringing the educational system more than anything else.

Regarding China and India: they're are 10 times the number of people (minimally) in each of those cultures than there are in the U.S. They'll produce 10 times the engineers just based on the statistics of demographics alone.

Can the U.S. educational system improve? ABSOLUTELY! I think we all know that inner city schools are struggling and some states undervalue education. Is it a totally broken mess? No way!

My 2¢
    Jim in Iowa

P.S. I love my Prius. I'm thrilled with what Toyota has accomplished and disgusted that Detroit didn't learn a d**n thing after the oil embargo of the '70s (which I remember vividly). I guess the big 3 are going to have to choke on their SUVs until they figure out. Likewise the American public who can't "manage" without their Hummer!

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good topic - but no easy answers. First, my wife used to teach 3rd grade. One day, one of her students, a Korean boy, was crying before a spelling test. She talked to him and found out if he came home with less than 100% his dad beat him. So, remember that though some cultures may do better in education on some measures, we may not like the means by which they get there. Same with the cramming and endless testing and putting kids on a track by very early ages, as they do in countries like Japan.

IMHO one of the biggest issues is the complete monopolistic stranglehold on education by government and teacher's unions in this country.

Would any of us really want a car designed and built by government bureaucrats? No - I doubt it - we let the free market build the cars, then WE get to choose which ones we want. The best providers rise to the top, others (GM, for instance) fall to the wayside.

But when it comes to something much more important than cars (education), we seem content to sit by and let others dictate our choices, rather than demanding a system whereby WE can choose the best options. Truly bizarre to me. Anybody for having the government own, control, and run all of the universities in this country? So why do we allow it for education at the lower grades. School choice is no panacea, but it certainly offers options not present in the current system.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW, to correct a mistatement, the US does not underfund education - on a relative basis we spend more than any other country (here):
    http://thebluesite.com/ustopseducationspend.htm

or here, we are ranked 2nd:
    http://www.oclc.org/membership/escan/econo...aryspending.htm

I contend we are getting less return for our dollars due to the educational monopoly. Remember, monopolies drive up prices and lower quality and innovation. Why do we as a country think the education industry is immune from this basic premise of economics?

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well you couldn't easily have a privatized school system. One of the mandates of the primary school system in the U.S. is to provide every student with the same educational opportunities. In reality, we know this isn't exactly the case (inner city schools for example are not as good as their suburban counterparts), but we do a much better job than countries like Japan where, as was previously mentioned, if you're a slow starter you're earmarked for mediocrity.

If you did have a private school system, everything would be about the bottom line. It's bad enough that schools are starting to have to enter into 'partnerships' with companies like Pepsi and Coca-Cola in return for financial incentives, but I certainly wouldn't want my children learning about American History sponsored by FOX News (and I'm not trying to make a political statement here, just making a point). There are certain things that need to be government controlled, and the primary education system is one such institution.

11. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Not to hijack a thread, but I do so love Jonnycat26's avatar. It makes me smile every time I see it.

By the way folks... it's never a good idea to go on a rant about the educational system if your posts are littered with incorrect spellings, punctuation, and grammatical errors!

'nuff sed.

12. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Why not? It helps illustrate the point.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    do you really believe what you write? America can only copy high tech? What are you talking about?
    Could the US do somethings better? Of course. I wonder if you were the author of Jimmy Carter's American malaise speech? Attitude is always 80% of the equation and yours stinks.

GM and Ford will get through this, and when the worm turns you will hear all of the 'great' companies in China and Japan squeal like pigs. Your arguements about Americans as lazy and playboys etc have been around for decades and look who when it all said and done is the worlds only superpower and the economic engine of the world.
    The US will wake up to the 'raping' it is receiving at the ports in the very near future and when it does, companies like toyota will be exposed for what they are doing to the US economy.

14. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yet we (especially the current goverment) are the one to pus a global market...

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

My teenagers attend a well funded public school, that leads the state in standardized testing. Well, they actually attend a school within a school, because the honors and gifted classes amount to segregation.

We have a household understanding:
    'A' is acceptable
    'Honors' is average.

This is the legacy of that moronic bit of legislation "no child left behind", and a culture that supports the notion that every person is special, deserves to be heard, has an opinion equal to that of every other person ...

Americans confuse respect with hegemony based on a least common denominator.

And an amusing anecdote: Next week we attend an awards ceremony for special achievements. This is the first time my son will not receive a 4.0 gpa award, because of a 'B' in math. We had a talk, and his tests are back up in the high 90's again. The curiousity, however, is that he takes a math class four years senior to his grade, but that is not taken into account in determining 'academic excellence'.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I fault every administration over the last 25 years for what is going on right now. Free Trade is a dream at this point, in many cases what is really going on resembles dumping more than trade.

17. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Correct. Maybe we should do something about it and now vote a goverment in that supports different ideas?

Don't blame toyota fo playing by rules set up by our goverment. This is what we as voters agreed to.

that said if we want more security be prepared to pay higher taxes and have a slower growing economy

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nothing new here.

I came across a very interesting rant from a right-winger who - among other things - not only decries the state of American education, but claims the "true" unemployment is on par with the EU countries.

http://mwhodges.home.att.net

The section on education:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/education.htm

The section on employment and the "true" unemployment:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/statistic-wizardry.htm

The section on family debt:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/family_a.htm#saving

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only candidate in my lifetime who really understood economics was Ross Perot and he got my vote. He was a little nuttly but he sure would have shook up the ol' apple cart. ;)

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two words: Bull and S***

Not as long as the boob toob is flickering in the face of every family, that it's getting easier and easier to get easy credit (And almost impossible to get out of it), and the "fact" that those flag waving companies are closing facilities in North America and opening new ones in India and China, should all disprove what you have said.