1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The elusive Loading.kwi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AndyZaa, Dec 23, 2009.

1. AndyZaa

AndyZaa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Nav fans (or not),

I have a 2006 Prius package #7 that I've just purchased used. I'm enjoying the car except of course the Nav and bluetooth lockout.

Although mine is a 2006 Prius with a Gen 5 Nav system and a v5.1 Nav disc, the magic lockout disable sequence does not work for me. I found one poster who said there were two v5.1 versions released by Toyota, the later of which removed the lockout disable ability. He said that he brought his car in to the dealer who "updated" the Nav system - when he looked at the rev it was still v5.1 but the lockout disable no longer worked. Can anyone corroborate that there are some Gen 5 v5.1 revs that can disable lockout, and some that cannot? It sems odd to me that Toyota would change something and not rev it to v5.2.

Posters here talk a lot about the v5.1 Nav disc that has the ability to disable lockout but I can't figure out why mine is v5.1 yet cannot. I'm using the documented Menu-Volume-ul-ll-ul-ll sequence and nothing happens.

I've done a ton of reading on the forums here about installing a Loading.kwi file from a rev that can disable lockout. I am willing to try it but can't find anyone who has a Gen 5 Loading.kwi that they know works to disable lockout and works in our Prius. If anyone reading this is computer savvy and has a Gen 5 Nav Prius that can disable lockout, can you have a look at your DVD and post the particulars of the Loading.kwi file? Mine is 24,726 KB and is dated 10/25/2005.

My disc is marked ---
    North America
    U40 D
    Part Number:
    86271-47040
    464210-0701
    Data ver.05.1

I'm not looking to pirate an update or do anything illegal, just restore functionality to a Nav disc I legally own. I won't even go into the absurdity of how Toyota locks out the ability to enter addresses or use the phone book when you have a passenger in the car. Similarly I won't rant and rave about how it's almost impossible to back up the Nav disc which you legally own.

Thanks, Priuschat is a fantastic community!

2. AndyZaa

AndyZaa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps I'm wrong and there is no magic sequence to disable navigation lockout for 2006 and up Gen 5 Nav owners? Then it would make sense that my v5.1 Nav disc doesn't allow disabling lockout...

3. Dutch

Dutch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe there is a lockout disable sequence in any Nav Gen 5 units. It seems to be an urban myth. People talk about making hybrid discs with a Nav Gen 5 v5.1 Loading.kwi but when you ask for an actual implementation, no one steps up. I believe the lockout disable sequence was only available in Nav Gen 4 v5.1 and prior versions.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As far as I know, nobody has yet discovered the electronic override in a Gen 5 (2006-2009) Nav system. The sequence described in the original post only works in Gen 4 cars.

I do know some posters have taken the hardware method of cutting the speed sensor wire and installing a switch they can disable whenever they want to use it while in motion. I have heard this has the minor side effect of the Consumption screen not updating the 5-min intervals while 'override' is enabled.

Alternately, there is a company called Coastal who makes a plug & play harness this simulates the wire cutting with the push of an invisible button on the screen. Here is the URL;

LOCKPICK 3

I hear it works pretty well - and the best thing about it is the 30 second install under the driver seat with no wire cutting or anything - but have never tried it myself. However, I have heard their customer service is pretty terrible (or non-existent), so be warned.

That said, if anyone ever does come across the electronic override, I'm all ears. :cool:

Good luck!

5. Dutch

Dutch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Kevin. It's nice to get some corroboration that there is no lockout disable through the MFD (as far as is known to date).

I've been looking at the Coastal vs. the wire switch options for a while now. I'm leaning towards the wire switch at this point because it's MUCH cheaper and I would do the bluetooth switch at the same time. I'm pretty comfortable with wiring and disassembly.

The NAV Nanny is VERY frustrating to me. Things like having the turn-by-turn readout blank out as soon as I'm mobile is beyond stupid. Having to pull over on the narrow shoulder of I-84 to find a gas station is NOT making my drive safer. What was Toyota thinking?