1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The EU-SSR is at it again - Want to introduce remote stopping of cars as standard!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Feb 1, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BBC News - EU group mulls 'remote car-stopping device' for police

It says "this project will work on a technological solution that can be a 'build in standard' for all cars that enter the European market".

It's for our benefit of course. Just in case someone steals a car, the Police can stop it without a chase. No other negative reasons are likely. Hmmm, so introducing this at massive expense, even if the device is only $10 x 10,000,000 cars sold a year, just to stop the car should it be stolen.

How do I claim political asylum against this communist nonsense and infringement on civil liberties?

amm0bob likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And no one will use it for mischief.

amm0bob likes this.
  3. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wait till DMV gets to turn it off for not being current with registration fees...

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You've got it :)

Ah, your insurance has expired - ZAP and your car stops
    You're late paying your tax - ZAP you're off the road until you do
    You were reported for giving the finger at the lights - ZAP you're stopped
    You didn't vote for us - ZAP you're off the road.

You can see where they're going can't you. Why else insist all that money is spent by car manufacturers on millions and millions of new cars sold every year just they can stop a couple hundred of car theives (who are fewer and fewer because of improved security).

amm0bob likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the fight.

That "Big Government" stuff is all well and good until they start trammeling on YOUR rights, huh? :eek:

Me?
    I don't have a problem with an automotive "remote stop" switch, but then I usually keep my inspection stickers, insurance, registration, taxes, and licenses in order.
    Furthermore, I prefer to drive on roads where scofflaws are held somewhat in check.
    I've seen the aftermath of a high-speed chase gone wrong, where somebody is turned into road-pizza for having done nothing more than lose the "wrong place-wrong time" lottery.
    The "remote stop" technology that they're tinkering with here is safe, effective, and legal.
    If you're a Fourth Amendment advocate who doesn't want to "pay for this injustice?"

...stick to PRIVATE roads.
    I don't like having to pay for TPMS because people are too stupid to check their tires. I also don't like having to pay for a VET system because people are too stupid to keep their cars in good working order. If everybody did what they were SUPPOSED to do, I also wouldn't have to pay the "stupid tax" every time I bought tires, oil, cars, light bulbs, etc.

I'm not much of a nanny-state government kind of guy, but a remote-stop feature?
    Heck no.
    I don't have ANY problem with that AT ALL.

It's like red-light cameras, or sobriety checkpoints.
    If you REALLY WANT to fight those injustices????
    It's easy!!!!
    ....just stop when the little light turns red, and don't drive drunk.
    It works every time! :)

ftl likes this.
  6. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they can impose odd-even rationing for sprinkling your lawn or fueling your car, this would allow odd-even day vehicle usage.

7. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Always keep a 'points and coil' car available.
    If you don't know what that is,, good.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah I thought like that too - at first.

CCTV was introduced in town for our protection; should there be a robbery or fire or mugging. But then after a few years it started to be used for drivers who stopped to quickly drop someone off, or someone accidentally (or maybe even not) drop some litter from their pocket. Perhaps you don't have that in the US? I've personally seen drivers refusing to move out of the way for an ambulance at traffic lights because they know if they move forward past the lights they'll be flashed by the red light camera and get a £90 fine. It's the interpretation of the law I guess but that's why I'm worried about this auto stop device.

Motorist who pulled into bus lane to let fire engines on emergency call pass is hit with £30 penalty | Mail Online

Pickles targets councils who use CCTV for 'cash cow' parking fines | This is Cornwall

So no, I don't share your "if you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" attitude. In fact I find that particular attitude worrysome as has too many throw backs to Nazi Germany (no personal connections are to be made or inferred!). Maybe being on this continent and knowing how 'good' can suddenly turn into something far from it has made me wary. Maybe it's the way it's implemented, but personally I'd rather not have it in the first place.

The other issues is that Government YOU voted in or at least had the opportunity to vote in makes the laws. That doesn't apply with the EU. It is Communist Russia under another guise.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  10. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The OnStar thing is a private system, only the owner can authorize to stop the car, not the government or any agency.
    BTW, the proposed OBDIII system also has this capability.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it sounds like you're at least a decade away from this potential reality manifesting in any degree. So you've got plenty of time to worry about it...or not worry about it.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it.

My gut instinct when presented with the idea, is that I don't like the idea of an "outside" entity having the power to turn off my personally owned vehicle.

I also think the technology would have a lot of hurdles to jump through. Can you guarantee me that some brilliant but adolescent computer geeks aren't going to figure out how to make their own home version of the police stop signaler, and then reek havoc stopping cars while hiding in bushes? Could become really dangerous.

That being said, as a specific tool of law enforcement it's hard to argue against. For a community or just on the highway, there is almost nothing more dangerous than a desperate, nothing to lose criminal being chased at high speeds. The idea that the police could curtail those type of situations easily and quickly? Well hard to dislike that reality.

I think if you could guarantee me it would never be abused or used in any other manner, I'd have to say OK. BUT..BUT...I don't think there is anyway anyone can give me that guarantee, so I have to ultimately say...No to the Police Kill Switch.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's the same old control argument they use against the internet. They need to control and restrict it for our safety as there are pedophiles and terrorists out there. Hmmm there are indeed, but I'd still rather risk these minorities than have the freedoms switched off.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am with you there GC. It seems we no longer have control of our borders, not being able to stop people coming in and having no say in who we can deport. Also no power to stop people being extradited for crimes they commit in this country. At the rate we are going we will not need a government as they will have no power to do anything.

John (Britprius)

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's all for our benefit John. All those Eastern Europeans (nice as they are) who earn $500 a month legally coming over and prepared to work for minimum wage driving wages down. 15 years ago I was on £22,000 a year, 9 years ago I was on about £35k a year. Now I'm on £12k minimum and glad for it. If I don't like it, there are millions of Poles, Latvians, Bulgarians all happy to take my job - LEGALLY.

The freedom of movement was fine when it was between 'rich' countries like UK, France, Holland, Germany etc and that's when it worked. But when you get desperate people earning in a month what I used to earn in a week legally able to just up sticks and take jobs, it becomes a problem. The argument that they do jobs Brits don't want is outdated. They do jobs for much less, less than minimum wage. Employers are happy to assist.

The US have trouble with illegal immigration lowering wages, but our problem is that it's totally legal. So much for the free market trade group.

So in the space of my 40 years on this planet, the last 8 years my living standards have collapsed because of the EU. I am not alone. Your average 'working man' in the UK has not just had no pay rise in the last few years, but active and massive pay cuts. Then add the increase in food, petrol and utilities and I'm now as poorer in real terms than any generation since the war.

The Government are wondering why we have record employment but the economy is barely improving (outside London). Well my experience and many of my friends and colleagues might be the answer.

BBC News - Living standards squeeze continues in UK, says IFS

The EU really is a Communist monster;

BBC News - Corruption across EU 'breathtaking' - EU Commission

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The legal ways hurt it more. Outsourcing jobs to other countries, and private prison labor.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh we have outsourcing too. Though that does slowly seem to be dying off as more and more people turn against companies that outsource. Many places actually advertise a 'UK based call centre' as a benefit.

I just don't like the slide into third world living standards.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah, I don't want them, for the reasons I stated.

That being said, if some loser leads police on a high speed chase through a residential neighborhood, I'm going to wish the police could press a button and make his car stop.

But since the inevitable cost of such a wonderful possibility, is working towards a future where The Police can press a button and make anyones and everyones vehicle stop...that is simply too high and too dangerous a price to pay.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For reasons like this?

Police officer in court accused of stalking | Herald Scotland