1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

The 'EV' in 'EV Mode'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mbutterfield, Jul 12, 2006.

1. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

Can anyone tell me what the 'EV' in 'EV Mode' stands for?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    E lectric
    V ehicle

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Electric Vehicle

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sorry, I just can't resist!

[attachmentid=4124]

But in all seriousness, you can find a lot of information on EV mode by doing a quick search...if you have questions, please let us know.

Mike

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll most commonly see the term EV mode used on this board when folks are discussing the use of one of the means of activating the 'hidden' feature of the N. American Prius.

On Japanese and EU Prii there is an OEM button that allows one to encourage the car into an electric only mode where you can use a little more pedal pressure and travel a little faster before the ICE kicks in.

Some of us have added that OEM button, other's have used some other aftermarket options and others just cobbled their own buttons together.

check the articles under the features section for more info.

6. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

Thanks all! Now it makes (obvious) sense. :eek: I have read many of the EV threads, and a search on 'EV mode' yields numerous results. I never saw (or, perhaps I overlooked) the EV acronym explained.

Anyway, I am *very* interested in putting it on my car (as soon as it arrives). I don't worry about using it, since the 'feature' exists AND is enabled (very similar to a public API in software). If Toyota really objects to it's use, they would (or should) have already disabled it's use in the software or firmware. Of course, they then have to explain why it works *just fine* outside the US.

I have yet to decide whether to buy a switch, or add my own. I am leaning toward the 'purchased' switch since it will look 'built in' without looking like a hack. As I have an electronics and mechanical background, this should be a very trivial modification.

Metaphorically, if you put a button or knob out there, someone will come along and push or turn it just to see what it does. :lol:

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EV = Electron Voltage

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wouldn't that be eV Tony?

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetHead @ Jul 12 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]285320[/snapback]</div>
    It stands for Darell's favorite letters. :p

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetHead @ Jul 13 2006, 05:52 AM) [snapback]285560[/snapback]</div>
    If you read all the threads, you can find out how to add EV Mode without adding a separate switch, by using an existing switch, such as your headlight high-beam momentary switch. An invisible EV Mode switch to go with EV Stealth Mode...